Do people really avoid the Swan/Dolphin merely because...

pug

...it is not Disney owned? If true, that blows my mind! I have stayed at the Dolphin, Boardwalk and Beach Club and, in my opinion, each is just as nice as the next. I certainly undertsand a person having his or her own favorite spot based upon subjective tastes, but to reject a place based solely on who owns it is nuts to me, especially when you can essentially get more for less at the Swan/Dolphin.

Oh well, just thought I would throw that out there!

Have a great day everyone, and I hope your next trip to Disney World gets here quick!
You don't get a lot of disney perks!

Hockey89

...it is not Disney owned? If true, that blows my mind! I have stayed at the Dolphin, Boardwalk and Beach Club and, in my opinion, each is just as nice as the next. I certainly undertsand a person having his or her own favorite spot based upon subjective tastes, but to reject a place based solely on who owns it is nuts to me, especially when you can essentially get more for less at the Swan/Dolphin.

Oh well, just thought I would throw that out there!

Have a great day everyone, and I hope your next trip to Disney World gets here quick!
I have to disagree 10000%.... I stayed at the Swan last time after staying at the BC most times and I hated the swan.... Run down....Outdated... Wont ever stay again.... My family stayed there months before and I didn't believe them....

Weather_Lady

The lack of DME is a make-or-break for some people, me included. I could live without the other stuff though.

Me, too. I spend nearly two hours commuting to and from work in my car every day. The last thing I want to do on vacation is rent a car and drive -- for me, not having to drive is part of what makes it a vacation -- so the lack of DME is a deal-breaker for us. Otherwise, we'd gladly stay at the Swan/Dolphin.

TXDisney

I stayed at the swan for 5 days September of 2013 then stayed at the boardwalk September of 2014. And yes there's a big difference IMO. It comes down to money. If your on a budget and want to stay in that location by all means stay at the swan, but realize you do lose some of the Disney magic there.

Hockey89

Those are some interesting points about not being fully immersed in Disney. What exactly does that mean, though? I mean, there is a gift shop in the Dolphin that sells all things Disney and the Swan has character dining? What is meant when "immersed in Disney" is stated?
I have to agree with the original person who said it...I didn't either...It did not "feel" like I was stay at Disney...Tons of business people there for work...Just didn't feel the Magic.... plus, the first room they put me in was outdated by about 20 years.... Gross...

Hockey89

Oh, and for those of you complaining about too many convention goers, the Yacht Club says hello.
You like it... great.... Awesome.... Stay there...

Four families with a total of 20 people didn't like the place at all... We have been going to Disney for 30 years and it is my least fav hotel....Usually stay Beach club...

Hockey89

Hockey, were you at the Swan before or after the renovations?
I started in a old room and went to a new room because the old one was not acceptable....I didn't love the new one.... I didn't like the feel of the hotel...Didn't Feel apart of Disney.... Look if you love it that is great...I could not disagree more but thank god it is a free country

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Hockey, I never said I prefer the Swan. What I did say is, in my OPINION, the Swan and Dolphin are equal to any of the other Disney owned resorts.

I do find it interesting, however, that you felt the Swan was outdated (justifiably so), yet you don't make a similar complaint about the BC.

WDW_Jon

Great location, great price and many people including myself prefer the less disneyfied feel of the place but we do spend 2 weeks in WDW when we visit so different to a short trip...
They are great and I can't wait to see the renovations in October...

Strongly disagree with the lack of bus to parks comment, they are as frequent as anywhere I've ever stayed previously and share with the other deluxe resorts next door so that just isn't true!

WDW_Jon

And let's not forget Epcot is a short walk and DHS a bit further in addition to the boats that run to both!
Only buses are to water parks / DTD, AK and MK

Nick Pappagiorgio

Swan/Dolphin guests don't get a few Disney-owned resort perks:

- Disney's Magical Express
- charging privileges to my room account only exist within the Swan/Dolphin, not elsewhere on Disney property
- no Disney Dining plan (and therefore no Free Dining; if you are into that)

I would weigh those factors before staying at the Swan/Dolphin.

I have never understood why people see value in charging privelages. I've heard the convenience argument but the difference in swiping a card vs touching a band or card is nominal. If I want to charge something I use a company like Visa, that specializes in credit, rather than an entertainment company.

Nick Pappagiorgio

I have to disagree 10000%.... I stayed at the Swan last time after staying at the BC most times and I hated the swan.... Run down....Outdated... Wont ever stay again.... My family stayed there months before and I didn't believe them....

Strange. I think BC was probably the most run down Disney resort (at least prior to the refurbs) I had ever been to. Furniture was dented, scratched and beat up. Bleach stains everywhere on the carpets. Never have seen this at S&D.

Debbie

I stayed at the Swan in 1991. It was brand new and lovely. It was before all of the fees were added and we could park for free. I have an issue with the fees for parking and resort fees that combined, equal 1/3 of what I can pay for a night at Pop Century. I can go buy a newspaper in the lobby anywhere I stay, and I don't need two bottles of water because we bring a couple of cases with us. Also, with time, my priorities have changed, hence I don't think I will ever pay the outrageous prices for the Poly, Contemporary, etc. Nowadays, I'm just lucky if I can scrape my nickels together to see my Mouse!
At the Swan, it was nice that a paper was delivered to our door in the morning, and there was nightly turn down service with the mints on our pillows, but I would rather spend those fee dollars tipping those hard working Mousekeeping staffers :)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I've never stayed on site. My family always stays at a Quality Inn or something just outside the resort about 10 or 15 minutes away..

There's not really a point for us to pay so much freakin money for a hotel room if we're just going to spend our entire days at the parks anyways! We only ever come to the room at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom