Do people really avoid the Swan/Dolphin merely because...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I don't get the whole theme argument. How does a resort themed like a New Jersey boardwalk or a New England beach house or a Polynesian island or a campground make you scream "Disney?" Don't get me wrong, those themes are all very cool and imaginative, but they don't correlate to Disney anymore than the sheer elegance and class of the Swan/Dolphin do.
I think you've described it well. The other resorts at WDW have a theme designed to put you somewhere else (e.g., CBR, Yacht/Beach, Poly, Wilderness Lodge), remind you of another time or place (e.g., Pop Century, Grand Floridian), immerse you in Disney (e.g., Art of Animation, All-Star Movies), or something similar. The Swan/Dolphin don't in any way attempt to do that. They just want you to feel like you are in a very nice hotel.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
sheer elegance
upload_2015-3-17_14-50-43.jpeg

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Yes, sheer elegance. Seriously. Stop by Shula's Steakhouse or Todd English's Blue Zoo and you might understand what I'm talking about.

surfsupdon

Just spend a couple of days at The Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes. The differences are painfully obvious. Things like a pool concierge that wraps the chaise lounge of your choice in 3 Turkish terry towels. Citrus ice water dispensers everywhere. And 24 hour room service is a must.

Understood. I understand the pool concierge is not at Disney, but I find the citrus water and room service at the Deluxe Resorts acceptable. I have stayed at Ritz Carletons before. Though Disney Deluxes are overpriced, I do find their amenities as pretty good and not lacking (for my needs).

surfsupdon

I wish I had a good, evidence based explanation, but the Disney resorts have a Disney feel to them that S&D and other non-Disney resorts somehow lack.

Maybe it is the subtle to over the top integration of Disney characters and visuals into the decor and design of the Disney resorts. For all I know the pump a hallucinogenic into the air.

I always think the Disney Resorts don't LOOK like hotels, so that helps. They look like houses, or separate individualized buildings, or mansions, or longhouses. The Swan, Dolphin, and Contemp look like hotels, so they lack that "Disney charm" feel. Something about that architecture inside and outside that is so top notch.

Disneyhead'71

Understood. I understand the pool concierge is not at Disney, but I find the citrus water and room service at the Deluxe Resorts acceptable. I have stayed at Ritz Carletons before. Though Disney Deluxes are overpriced, I do find their amenities as pretty good and not lacking (for my needs).
I think it depends on the Deluxe. The Poly staff is pretty bad. The Grand and Boardwalk, pretty good. The rest, somewhere in between.

Disneyhead'71

I always think the Disney Resorts don't LOOK like hotels, so that helps. They look like houses, or separate individualized buildings, or mansions, or longhouses. The Swan, Dolphin, and Contemp look like hotels, so they lack that "Disney charm" feel. Something about that architecture inside and outside that is so top notch.
Good observation. I think the "resort village" feel of the Poly and PO is preferred to the giant hotel feel by most.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Quite correct.

There are a million little things that add up to what we all perceive as a "Disney feel".

It would not surprise me if the experiences goes all the way down to the smells of the cleaning products used in the resorts

WDW_Jon

I think a lot of people on this site wouldn't want to stay there as there's an element of how good your trip is perceived to be and if you mention staying at Swolphin it's seen as not a great experience in hardcore WDW fanatics eyes but if you say the contemporary or the Poly for example it's like "wow the monorail goes throught there, you did your vacation right"

Might just be me but certainly from a UK perspective the deal we get to stay at the Dolphin is only about $500 more for a family of 5 over 14 nights to stay in arguably the best location compared to Coronado Springs for example where it's catch a bus everywhere... (Extra $4000 approx for YC)

I'll get shot down for this but there's an element of snobbery as it's not 'real disney' and not many people scream and shout about staying at POP compared to those who can do the Poly/Contemporary/GF for example despite more Disney theming at the cheaper resorts... Just something I've noticed.

If you want a great hotel that is proper luxury and offers a brilliant non themed experience then Disney ain't the place to be staying as you are always paying a premium for an average room (compared to a normal 4/5* hotel with similar rates) regardless of what hotel it is from budget to deluxe IMO.

We go for the WDW experience not the standard of accommodation, that being said i do choose now to do every 2-3 years rather than every 12-18months to stay in a better resort but that's my preference and we see plenty in 14 days to get us through that time period!

CaptainAmerica

I think it depends on the Deluxe. The Poly staff is pretty bad. The Grand and Boardwalk, pretty good. The rest, somewhere in between.
The Cultural Representatives at Animal Kingdom Lodge always stand out to me, too. Even the best staff member at the Grand is still a mom from Kissimmee or a sophomore at UCF. There's something unique about having staff from the locations they're representing. It's like a resort version of the World Showcase cast members at Epcot.

It would not surprise me if the experiences goes all the way down to the smells of the cleaning products used in the resorts
Absolutely. There's a memory trigger that's activated just by washing your hair with the Mickey shampoo in that nasty, bleachy central Florida tap water.

If you want a great hotel that is proper luxury and offers a brilliant non themed experience then Disney ain't the place to be staying as you are always paying a premium for an average room (compared to a normal 4/5* hotel with similar rates) regardless of what hotel it is from budget to deluxe IMO.
Yep. In the Disney resorts, the premium you're paying is for location and integration, not luxury.

jlsHouston

I like Dophin... like the food options, location, lobby, pool and price even with the resort fees and parking. However if I can get a Epcot resort that is Disney owned prefer that to Dolphin and probably because of perks and theming.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
There is no doubt in my mind that there is an element of Disny "snobbery" at play when it comes to the Swan/Dolphin. During one of my visits, as we pulled up to the Dolphin on the bus, I actually heard a woman say "I would never stay here, this place isn't even owned by Disney." I laughed all the way back to my room as I thought about how much less I was paying for a bigger, better room in a hotel full of restaurants that no Disney-owned property could even begin to compete with.

As an aside, I will always love the remark from the head of the Swan/Dolphin upon that hotel's opening, where he pointed over toward the YC/BC and uttered words to the effect of "that's where our servants stay."

WDW_Jon

There is no doubt in my mind that there is an element of Disny "snobbery" at play when it comes to the Swan/Dolphin. During one of my visits, as we pulled up to the Dolphin on the bus, I actually heard a woman say "I would never stay here, this place isn't even owned by Disney." I laughed all the way back to my room as I thought about how much less I was paying for a bigger, better room in a hotel full of restaurants that no Disney-owned property could even begin to compete with.

As an aside, I will always love the remark from the head of the Swan/Dolphin upon that hotel's opening, where he pointed over toward the YC/BC and uttered words to the effect of "that's where our servants stay."

I've heard similar... So funny

CaptainAmerica

Hypocrisy is fun, eh?

To paraphrase @JusticeDisney and @WDW_Jon: You are a Disney snob if you don't like the Swan and Dolphin, but I love the feeling of superiority I get knowing that my room and restaurants are amazing and cheaper than your sucky resort... oh and you all are basically our servants EL EM AY OH! AMIRITE!?!? Guys?

Seriously, wow. I stay at DAKL because I like DAKL, not because it makes me feel better than anyone. Apparently, a big part of your experience is somehow thinking you're sooooo much smarter than everyone because you got what you consider to be a superior room at a superior value. But I'm the snob.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Apparently, Captain Anerica has some trouble with reading comprehension. If you actually took the time to read my posts in this thread, you would know that I have stayed at most of the resorts and think they are all awesome in their own right. The point of this thread is that there are actually people out there who think less of the SD simply because of who owns it. When I referenced my laughing at the lady on the bus, it was in RESPONSE to HER snobbish comment. Unlike some people, I stay where I stay because I happen to like it, not for any other reason.

Did I type that slow enough for you to keep up, Captain America?

WDW_Jon

Hypocrisy is fun, eh?

To paraphrase @JusticeDisney and @WDW_Jon: You are a Disney snob if you don't like the Swan and Dolphin, but I love the feeling of superiority I get knowing that my room and restaurants are amazing and cheaper than your sucky resort... oh and you all are basically our servants EL EM AY OH! AMIRITE!?!? Guys?

Seriously, wow. I stay at DAKL because I like DAKL, not because it makes me feel better than anyone. Apparently, a big part of your experience is somehow thinking you're sooooo much smarter than everyone because you got what you consider to be a superior room at a superior value. But I'm the snob.
Not my words if you check!
I did however find it mildly humourous and agreed with the point being made...

I'm now upset as my servant is on their break and I had to type this myself to put it straight!

WDW_Jon

Hypocrisy is fun, eh?

To paraphrase @JusticeDisney and @WDW_Jon: Apparently, a big part of your experience is somehow thinking you're sooooo much smarter than everyone because you got what you consider to be a superior room at a superior value. But I'm the snob.

And I do feel you get a superior room at a better price and you don't need to be smart to realise this if you've stayed there and at other Deluxe resorts...

Plenty on here will look down at these hotels hence the thread bring started and taking off, I however am more than comfortable to say how great I think the Dolphin is without worrying about people thinking I'm in an inferior non disney owned or themed hotel!

I don't dismiss the merits of the other places anywhere but I think they offer poor value and are no better...

Phew, so pleased my servant is back now! My fingers are killing me typing all this :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom