"Do not disturb" signs being removed from resort rooms

beachlover4444

I travel quite a bit and always put the do not disturb sign up on my door. Hotels do honor that and do not knock on the door. There has been a couple of times where I had called down to ask for something(towels and such) and forgot to take the sign down. They will not knock on the door. I usually hear them in the hall way calling down with their radio saying the dnd sign is up. So to say that hotels disregard the sign is incorrect. Maybe hotels that care nothing for guest service would do this, but the ones that I have stayed at take it seriously. If my sign is up, I expect it to be honored. That is probably why Disney is doing away with them.
i heard it is for safety and they will enter, period. people are not going to like this

beachlover4444

51GAgisPEnL._SX522_.jpg

You can still use this while in the room. They’re not interested in getting into the room while you’re there, they want access while you’re gone. Giving today’s environment, I’m OK with this, 5 years ago, probably not.
ya but what if you leave your 1000 dollar lap top in there or money or other valuables? no i dont like it one bit

beachlover4444

Your hotel room is protected by the 4th amendment just like your house. So sure housekeeping can legally snoop around the room but cops absolutely cannot. So even if they find something suspicious the cops won't be able to do anything without a court ordered search warrant.. It'll be a hot mess when they do this to the wrong person. Lawsuit in waiting.
agree police have to be invited into a room, that's why they will ask the guest to step out of the room. this policy is flirting with some bad outcomes however good their intentions are.

beachlover4444

I've been with Marriott and Hilton the last 16 years. I'm telling you right now people are not going to like this. If they wanna be left alone to be sloppy, hide their drugs, do drugs, smoke, hide pets, make counterfeit money, run a meth lab, bring in prostitutes, whatever and believe me I have seen all of the above happen, this isnt going to stop it from happening.

daisyduckie

ya but what if you leave your 1000 dollar lap top in there or money or other valuables? no i dont like it one bit

If you leave valuables all around the room you are not very smart to begin with. Even before this policy I would never ever leave anything out I would hate to have to replace. I've heard too many stories of things like medications and jewelry coming up missing. They have safes in all of their rooms. Use them.

daisyduckie

And here is how I view it as a hotelier (have been in this business for upwards of 15 years).

When you rent a room, you are paying us an amount of money to take that room off available inventory and give it to you for a set amount of time. During that agreed upon time which you pay us, that room is yours, and most rights within belong to you, as long as you don't damage, disturb other paying guests, or break other basic agreed upon rules (smoking in a non-smoking room, bringing pets into a non-pet friendly room, etc.)

All other rights are fully in your hands, and should be respected by staff. If you want to sit around in your pajamas or far less for the entire duration of your stay without any intrusion...you have that right. If you want to put up a Christmas tree in July next to the front window...you have that right. If you don't want to hear a peep or knock on the door from housekeeping the entire time you stay, you have that right.

Is the room technically "yours", obviously, no. But unless you're breaking basic fundamental rules, then we as staff have every obligation to treat the time and space rented as yours & yours alone until the duration of the rental agreement expires.

If you book on line thru Disney there is now a paragraph telling you they reserve the right to enter your room at any time. It is part of the Terms and Conditions you agree to. I'm not sure if something similar was there before, but it sure is now.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If you book on line thru Disney there is now a paragraph telling you they reserve the right to enter your room at any time. It is part of the Terms and Conditions you agree to. I'm not sure if something similar was there before, but it sure is now.
The Ts&Cs we got with our 1 Dec reservation did not contain that clause.

jaklgreen

i heard it is for safety and they will enter, period. people are not going to like this

This is a false sense of safety, just like the bag checks. But this is much more intrusive. Do they really need to enter the same person's room every day or almost every day? This is just so they can say "hey, we are doing our due diligence" crap. We are losing more and more of our personal freedoms in the name of "safety".

I am DVC and don’t have an issue with it! Last trip, the guy in the room next to us left his DND sign on the entire trip. I saw him once, DH didn’t - we were very suspicious what he was getting up to in his room!

We did not even have a sign in our room - whenever they knocked (usually during an EPL match!) we just told them what time we would be leaving the room. They came back later:)

We are generally good about putting stuff in the safe but do forget from time to time. We have never had an issue with Mousekeeping!

Plus, we always take our rubbish out - so nothing to do in our room!!

jaklgreen

I am DVC and don’t have an issue with it! Last trip, the guy in the room next to us left his DND sign on the entire trip. I saw him once, DH didn’t - we were very suspicious what he was getting up to in his room!

We did not even have a sign in our room - whenever they knocked (usually during an EPL match!) we just told them what time we would be leaving the room. They came back later:)

We are generally good about putting stuff in the safe but do forget from time to time. We have never had an issue with Mousekeeping!

Plus, we always take our rubbish out - so nothing to do in our room!!

It's suspicious to leave your DND sign up the whole trip? We do that. We don't need them to come into the room since we take care of it ourselves(we are not pigs). I have seen plenty of rooms with their DND sign up and never see the people come or go. I don't assume they are up to no good because I don't see them and they don't want housekeeping in every day.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Most hotels have in-room safes now, and it's always advisable to lock up anything valuable, whenever you leave your room for the day. If you have an item that cannot fit into the in-room safe, you can request a safety deposit box at the front desk. (Years ago I worked for a hotel company, and I recall those boxes were secured by two keys--one for the actual box, and one additional security key, that the manager on duty would have. They also had security cameras in that area, and two people had to be present to open any of the boxes.)

daisyduckie

This is a false sense of safety, just like the bag checks. But this is much more intrusive. Do they really need to enter the same person's room every day or almost every day? This is just so they can say "hey, we are doing our due diligence" crap. We are losing more and more of our personal freedoms in the name of "safety".

I think it is more in the name of Disney not being held accountable if something similar to what happened in Vegas happens on their property. And it is why the Hilton Group is doing the same thing.

I also don't think Ben was referring to DND signs when he made his statment.

jaklgreen

I think it is more in the name of Disney not being held accountable if something similar to what happened in Vegas happens on their property. And it is why the Hilton Group is doing the same thing.

I also don't think Ben was referring to DND signs when he made his statment.

And what if they do their "checks" and someone still goes nuts. What then? People would say "why are you doing these checks in the first place". Unless they are going to go through everyone's bags, then there is not way they will be effective in stopping anything.

beachlover4444

Most hotels have in-room safes now, and it's always advisable to lock up anything valuable, whenever you leave your room for the day. If you have an item that cannot fit into the in-room safe, you can request a safety deposit box at the front desk. (Years ago I worked for a hotel company, and I recall those boxes were secured by two keys--one for the actual box, and one additional security key, that the manager on duty would have. They also had security cameras in that area, and two people had to be present to open any of the boxes.)
I have been with Marriott properties for 15 years and now with Hilton properties. Most hotels got rid of in room safes boxes unless they are older properties. And the safe deposit boxes that the hotels have by the desk area that the hotel controls with the dual keys you mentioned would not hold a laptop. Those were built with holding cash or jewelry in mind. So if you were travelling with alot of electronic devices as many people are these days unless there is a huge FREE in room safe to use I would be mad. Especially if I had to run to the desk to get my device all the time.

daisyduckie

And what if they do their "checks" and someone still goes nuts. What then? People would say "why are you doing these checks in the first place". Unless they are going to go through everyone's bags, then there is not way they will be effective in stopping anything.

Then Disney can claim they tried, and I think that is the main point of it. It may discourage a few stray nutters, but it also looks good from a liability standpoint.

Walt d

That is just CMs doing their own thing. It is totally against policy. One of my pet peeves is checking into a hotel and there is no DND sign in the room. I actually carry one with me now.
So when you go to a hotel. They show on tv what you should do, you should put a sign on your door. Iv seen this, 4-5 times.when i go to fla, i take my 5’9 channel islands surf board it goes in a board bag, in the closet. I have not had any dings yet.it is one of the family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom