"Do not disturb" signs being removed from resort rooms

lazyboy97o

Yes, this is my point. The crazy people are not stupid. If they know there is a chance for hotel staff to come in at any time, they are not going to be leaving that stuff lying around. So unless the someone is going to go through people's stuff, this will unlikely prevent anything. We are giving up a lot of personal freedoms in the name of "safety".
In this case, these are freedoms you never had. People entered rooms previously for checks.

The idea that a change must prevent all outcomes to be useful is fallacy. "Cops can't be everywhere at the same time... they can't stop everyone... so speed limits don't do anything". - fallacies.
It’s not a fallacy when it is repeatedly how such measures are pushed. This is happening because it is “the thing” that people have latched into as being able to stop the attack in Vegas.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s not a fallacy when it is repeatedly how such measures are pushed. This is happening because it is “the thing” that people have latched into as being able to stop the attack in Vegas.

No one in their right mind thinks this will "stop" attacks - it's just about adapting to close a previously abused hole. You don't stop attacks, but if someone was easily abuse you, you learn from that.

Closing one door does not mean you closed all doors - it's simply about closing that door. It would be irresponsible for the property managers to ignore lessons taught by previous incidents. That doesn't mean they have set out to prevent all nefarious actions.

The hotels are not overstating what this will accomplish- it is people making strawmwn to tear it down.

I still giggle at ow far people think they go to keep staff out of their room. You are being catered to... take advantage of it.

lazyboy97o

No one in their right mind thinks this will "stop" attacks - it's just about adapting to close a previously abused hole. You don't stop attacks, but if someone was easily abuse you, you learn from that.

Closing one door does not mean you closed all doors - it's simply about closing that door. It would be irresponsible for the property managers to ignore lessons taught by previous incidents. That doesn't mean they have set out to prevent all nefarious actions.

The hotels are not overstating what this will accomplish- it is people making strawmwn to tear it down.

I still giggle at ow far people think they go to keep staff out of their room. You are being catered to... take advantage of it.
This is not closing a door, it is opening one. Across the industry, policies were already in place to check on rooms. Emphasizing this policy means it is more known and easier to circumvent.

The hotels not be making the point that this will stop attacks does not mean it is not a recurring argument for why this and more searching should be done.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is not closing a door, it is opening one. Across the industry, policies were already in place to check on rooms. Emphasizing this policy means it is more known and easier to circumvent.

'ability' and 'policies in place' really aren't the same thing. They had the ability, but not really the motivation to pursue in most cases.

Awareness simply means "that door is closed" - and someone would have to try harder or in a different means. The hotels weren't sleuthing to begin with, so they haven't lost any tools in their arsenal.

lazyboy97o

'ability' and 'policies in place' really aren't the same thing. They had the ability, but not really the motivation to pursue in most cases.

Awareness simply means "that door is closed" - and someone would have to try harder or in a different means. The hotels weren't sleuthing to begin with, so they haven't lost any tools in their arsenal.
The ability and policy were both in place. The policy was not always followed through because in most cases there was nothing to see.

The tool lost is complacency on the part of the one engaged in nefarious activity. If you are reminded that the room is being checked, then you are reminded to not leave out evidence.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The tool lost is complacency on the part of the one engaged in nefarious activity. If you are reminded that the room is being checked, then you are reminded to not leave out evidence.

Well, the 'oh, I forgot to put away my rifles while I went to the pool for awhile' people weren't really real... so no love lost on potentially not catching those imaginary criminals who forgot to put the DnD note on their door.

If the great casualty of this is "my hotel room is no longer my private hideout, I have to work at hiding stuff" - then no love lost.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Well, the 'oh, I forgot to put away my rifles while I went to the pool for awhile' people weren't really real... so no love lost on potentially not catching those imaginary criminals who forgot to put the DnD note on their door.

If the great casualty of this is "my hotel room is no longer my private hideout, I have to work at hiding stuff" - then no love lost.

You would actually be surprised. I had a housekeeper once enter a room that was supposed to have checked out that day. There were no people in the room, but their belongings were there as was a handgun and a big pile of marijuana. Obviously we called the police. They had forgot to extend their reservation. The are smart and dumb criminals, just like all walks of life.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You would actually be surprised. I had a housekeeper once enter a room that was supposed to have checked out that day. There were no people in the room, but their belongings were there as was a handgun and a big pile of marijuana. Obviously we called the police. They had forgot to extend their reservation

Those aren't the ones I'm worried about...

If a housekeeper sees my dong... (or so big coke deal...) big deal

This is just another tool in the arsenal. I don't think its going to shatter anyone's vacation.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
This is a non-issue.

when-youre-high-on-pixie-dust-every-issue-becomes-a-non-issue.jpg

correcaminos

I was hoping someone would provide a real sentence... thanks!
Glad to help. Nothing personal but my husband and I chuckled a little at the google translated sentence. It was quite literal in one way and incorrect in another. They would understand you maybe, but this will sound more like a native speaker at least.

jaklgreen

Just because they have the right to do something, it doesn't mean they can or should whenever they want.

I can fully understand them coming into a room to clean(when you ask for it-or extended stays), maintenance, or if there is a complaint or SUSPICION of wrong doing. Just to randomly invade people's privacy as some kind of misguided precaution is too extreme. There are way too many rooms at the resorts for someone with any kind of training to look in on every day. So you know they will be wanting the housekeepers to "look for something suspicious". Frankly, if I was housekeeping, I would not want to be put in that situation. Imagine if someone does something and they had their guns locked up and you just checked the room and did not see anything. They would be all over your behind asking why you didn't see anything and report it. It's not fair to put them in that position. And again, without going through a person's belongings, they can check the rooms all they want. But chances are they will not find anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom