"Do not disturb" signs being removed from resort rooms

NormC

No It doesn't. Changing the sign hanging on your door does not change hotel policies. They always had the right to enter your room regardless of signage and that hasn't changed. That was my point. You could make the sign say "I am in the shower" and they could still enter if they chose.

Tick Tock

You could make the sign say "I am in the shower" and they could still enter if they chose.
One of us should patent this idea.
db893145905b3ce23fa3f9ffb5fe19f3--door-hanger-design-door-hanger-template.jpg

harryk

More invasion of privacy, I know many people who leave the sign on the door when they leave so that housekeeping doesn't go through their belongings while they are away. Guess it will be time to bring in personal safes and webcams to watch over the rooms while being away.

Also, how about the DVC rooms where housekeeping doesn't enter to change towels or make beds for four days. Now they are going to go into the room to just look around and rummage through your things?
Really!! Get over it - mousekeeping has better things to do than go through your things. I've left everything laying around in my DVC and it has never been touched during the past 18 years. This is a great move by management.

Incomudro

Yes really.
I view and have always viewed my stay in a room - any room - as rental of a space and time where I sleep, shower and store my clothing.
It's not "mine" in any way.
I assume they should clean it daily, and I want them to.
I understand that people being people that something could get stolen, so I secure valuables, and speaking of valuables - I keep them to a bare minimum when travelling - inexpensive watch, wedding ring, wallet and phone, all of which are on me anyway.

Incomudro

While we are on this subject:
A couple of years ago, my wife lost a piece of jewelry (a necklace) while we stayed at Beach Club.
Apparently, she misplaced it somewhere in the room.
We know this, because sometime after we returned home - it arrived in our mailbox in an envelope from WDW with a nice letter.:)

ppete1975

I think this is a reminder to people staying there that it is an option (people are lawsuit happy), makes it easier for them to enter without it being as big a deal (before people thought do not disturb meant you cant enter), and also like several safety procedures creates the illusion something is being done. I personally would like to see cameras pointed towards the contemporary balconies and maybe these checks daily (sniper rifle from there and it wont be good) and I'm sure there might be some places at the animal kingdom lodge that would be the same.
End of the day you cant live your life in fear, at any moment no matter where you are (a movie, a plane, theme park, mall, walking down the street, in your own home) if someone wants to harm you they can. You just have to enjoy life and not worry about it.
I see this as Disney at least giving people a safer illusion.

Tick Tock

Yes really.
I view and have always viewed my stay in a room - any room - as rental of a space and time where I sleep, shower and store my clothing.
It's not "mine" in any way.
And here is how I view it as a hotelier (have been in this business for upwards of 15 years).

When you rent a room, you are paying us an amount of money to take that room off available inventory and give it to you for a set amount of time. During that agreed upon time which you pay us, that room is yours, and most rights within belong to you, as long as you don't damage, disturb other paying guests, or break other basic agreed upon rules (smoking in a non-smoking room, bringing pets into a non-pet friendly room, etc.)

All other rights are fully in your hands, and should be respected by staff. If you want to sit around in your pajamas or far less for the entire duration of your stay without any intrusion...you have that right. If you want to put up a Christmas tree in July next to the front window...you have that right. If you don't want to hear a peep or knock on the door from housekeeping the entire time you stay, you have that right.

Is the room technically "yours", obviously, no. But unless you're breaking basic fundamental rules, then we as staff have every obligation to treat the time and space rented as yours & yours alone until the duration of the rental agreement expires.

Nick Pappagiorgio

I honestly get it an am fine with it, but room cleaning is always so much more trouble than it is worth at Disney. I swear I always come back to the room while they are cleaning it. Also will need to go back to hiding my stuff when I leave the room.

jaklgreen

I travel quite a bit and always put the do not disturb sign up on my door. Hotels do honor that and do not knock on the door. There has been a couple of times where I had called down to ask for something(towels and such) and forgot to take the sign down. They will not knock on the door. I usually hear them in the hall way calling down with their radio saying the dnd sign is up. So to say that hotels disregard the sign is incorrect. Maybe hotels that care nothing for guest service would do this, but the ones that I have stayed at take it seriously. If my sign is up, I expect it to be honored. That is probably why Disney is doing away with them.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I travel quite a bit and always put the do not disturb sign up on my door. Hotels do honor that and do not knock on the door. There has been a couple of times where I had called down to ask for something(towels and such) and forgot to take the sign down. They will not knock on the door. I usually hear them in the hall way calling down with their radio saying the dnd sign is up. So to say that hotels disregard the sign is incorrect. Maybe hotels that care nothing for guest service would do this, but the ones that I have stayed at take it seriously. If my sign is up, I expect it to be honored. That is probably why Disney is doing away with them.
It'll be interesting to see how they deal with people who bring their own DND/DNE signs...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom