"Do not disturb" signs being removed from resort rooms

jaklgreen

Why not? Don't trust yourself not to steal? hah

I don't steal, it is stupid. But it is very easy for someone to claim that I did and what a hassle that would be. And anyone accused, even unfounded, is always under suspicion after that. I don't put myself in those situations and would not want those types of duties to be added to my job when that was not clear when I got hired.

Leigh51

I don't steal, it is stupid. But it is very easy for someone to claim that I did and what a hassle that would be. And anyone accused, even unfounded, is always under suspicion after that. I don't put myself in those situations and would not want those types of duties to be added to my job when that was not clear when I got hired.
Jaklgreen,proud of you for standing up for yourself.My family owned 14 hotels/motels and only once did someone take something.And she brought it to us and apologized.She was not fired and was a valued employee for the rest of her professional life with us.I really get tired of hearing the cleaning staff took it.To the guest: One put your stuff away,so the room can be cleaned,if it's valuable put it where you know it is safe.Not going to say where but if you don't have a safe,figure it out.It's not hard.

22YrsDVC

This is tough. I better not be sleeping. Regardless, I will have the deadbolt always engaged now so they will not be entering unless I let them.
Realize that this is way late to weigh in, but just got back from the Villas at the Grand Floridian, and could not help but notice the new keyed lock under the door handle. So much for the dead bolt.

Brian

Realize that this is way late to weigh in, but just got back from the Villas at the Grand Floridian, and could not help but notice the new keyed lock under the door handle. So much for the dead bolt.

All Disney Resort hotel room locks have that key hole. That way, if the battery on the lock dies, you can still be let into your room. It has been that way at least since the addition of MagicBand entry for rooms, but likely before that, too.

buseegal

What happens when they do their check though and you're in the room and you've got the lock on it. Can they even get in? I can't remember the name of the device but I'm talking about the extra latch after you've locked the door. We always have that on when we're in a hotel room and I'm just trying to figure how they could get in if you've got that on? Or have they removed those from the doors?
check the internet for videos of how easy it is to unlock from outside

daisyduckie

Jaklgreen,proud of you for standing up for yourself.My family owned 14 hotels/motels and only once did someone take something.And she brought it to us and apologized.She was not fired and was a valued employee for the rest of her professional life with us.I really get tired of hearing the cleaning staff took it.To the guest: One put your stuff away,so the room can be cleaned,if it's valuable put it where you know it is safe.Not going to say where but if you don't have a safe,figure it out.It's not hard.

Right. Do not disturb or Room Occupied sign doesn't matter. Disney always had the right to enter your room. It has never been a good idea to leave values out in the open in your room.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm reasonably certain this is being put in place to pacify their insurance company, and to give a visible impression to guests that Disney is trying to ensure their safety which would aid them in court should something ever go sideways at one of their resorts. It's feel good theater, but theater none the less.

daisyduckie

I'm reasonably certain this is being put in place to pacify their insurance company, and to give a visible impression to guests that Disney is trying to ensure their safety which would aid them in court should something ever go sideways at one of their resorts. It's feel good theater, but theater none the less.

True. And I'm pretty sure if they didn't do it, and some nutcase caused someone harm at their resorts, they would be sued quicker than any of us can blink. They are covering their rears. And if it deters one nutter, that is to the good.

I do think it could be handled much better. No knocking on doors at 8 am.

NelleBelle

As a woman, I would feel really uncomfortable answering the door to someone I didn't know, if I were in the room by myself. There have been instances of even police officers being impersonated, which is why I have never opened our hotel room when I've been alone. I'd rather that they do their security checks when we are out of the room during the day, rather than risk running out of the room for a few minutes and one of our kids are in the room by themselves and have to deal with a stranger entering the room while they are alone in the room.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
As a woman, I would feel really uncomfortable answering the door to someone I didn't know, if I were in the room by myself. There have been instances of even police officers being impersonated, which is why I have never opened our hotel room when I've been alone. I'd rather that they do their security checks when we are out of the room during the day, rather than risk running out of the room for a few minutes and one of our kids are in the room by themselves and have to deal with a stranger entering the room while they are alone in the room.

If you speak with the front desk, I am sure they have some system in place for people who feel this way. I doubt you are the only one.

Starlight67

There have been instances of even police officers being impersonated, which is why I have never opened our hotel room when I've been alone.
That's the first thing I thought! Which is why I think the front desk needs to give guests a crystal clear heads up that this security check thing is a new policy. I am wondering if they don't because they don't want to end up in a big conversation (or argument) with a guests about the virtues/sensibilities/usefulness of the whole idea.

NelleBelle

And I surely hope they are not doing these checks at night. The first few days we are there we are in bed early trying to adjust to the time change so we can be up early enough to rope drop. There will certainly be a conversation with management if this happens. No reason why this can't happen during the day when most guests are out (and should happen late morning/late afternoon when guests are likely not sleeping in/taking naps). I still don't understand how this is for "safety" other than to make sure a guest hasn't gone "unconscious" in the room. Unless they are searching suitcases, anyone can hide contraband in locked luggage, etc. Just curious, if you are traveling with someone who happens to be in the bathroom when they come by and they want to check the bathroom...are they returning or waiting?? I understand this private property and they can search room whenever they feel like it, but this in NO WAY makes me feel safe--in fact it does the opposite and feels quite intrusive. I'd rather they scan all luggage and search vehicles on the way in like a full "TSA" search if their going under the guise of improving public "safety".

flynnibus

Premium Member
My god.. you would have thought you all believed your hotel room was Fort Knox or something before. Talk about detached reality...

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
My god.. you would have thought you all believed your hotel room was Fort Knox or something before. Talk about detached reality...
242pss.jpg

JS514

One day while we were there, we had returned to the room before they could clean and had the Room Occupied door hanger up. The front desk called my cell awhile later and confirmed that we were in there and asked if we were okay with them sending someone to do quick check. They were extremely accommodating and friendly about it. They're not going to just barge in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom