"Do not disturb" signs being removed from resort rooms

drizgirl

One day while we were there, we had returned to the room before they could clean and had the Room Occupied door hanger up. The front desk called my cell awhile later and confirmed that we were in there and asked if we were okay with them sending someone to do quick check. They were extremely accommodating and friendly about it. They're not going to just barge in.
Honestly, I don't want them calling me on my cell phone either. I leave it on in case of a family emergency, but if I'm asleep I don't want it waking me up so they can come have a look see.

JS514

Honestly, I don't want them calling me on my cell phone either. I leave it on in case of a family emergency, but if I'm asleep I don't want it waking me up so they can come have a look see.
Put it on silent. I did, they called while I was napping and left a message. I woke up, listened to the voicemail, called back and they asked when the best time would be.

NelleBelle

Put it on silent. I did, they called while I was napping and left a message. I woke up, listened to the voicemail, called back and they asked when the best time would be.
If we have to do this song and dance, I’d much prefer this method! I seriously have no issue if they can manage to do this check while we are out of the room or ask when a good time would be to do it. I’m sure like all new things, WDW rolls out their best customer service. But I will not be surprised that after sometime into this, the phone calls will stop and then the door knocking will begin, followed by the required door knock with the announcement of “room check” and door barges open without anytime for you to a) throw on clothes and/or b) get to door to open it :cautious:. But I really am glad that for the time being they are calling and asking, so fingers crossed we can maintain good customer service!!

susan lees

I haven't seen anything official from wdw on this yet but I presume it only applies if you have opted out of housekeeping or you have dnd sign on for too long? We are going to opt out of housekeeping in November. TIA

Minnesota disney fan

We will be at WDW in a week, and will report back on what occurs. I intend to let the front desk know of our need for quiet, nap time in the afternoon, on check in. I will also call housekeeping with the same message. We will see. I am optimistic about it, but will let you all know our experience.

Starlight67

I haven't seen anything official from wdw on this yet but I presume it only applies if you have opted out of housekeeping or you have dnd sign on for too long? We are going to opt out of housekeeping in November. TIA

We did have housekeeping services; but still had the security check guy visit the two afternoons I was in the room. Though, I would think that housekeeping being in there once a day would be enough of a 'security check'. Seems that employees going in twice is overkill, unless these 'security people' (who seemed to be 'regular guy who works at Port Orleans') have some extra special training in assessing a hotel room :rolleyes:.

The_Jobu

They're being removed all right, but by Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

(No really, I just saw her on tv showing off her Disney DND signs that she keeps as souvenirs).

Leigh51

Because of the costs of having to go through each room everyday there will now be a Security Resort Fee for only $39.99 an Night but if you purchase the bundle with Memory Maker it will only be $37.99 a night.
That is not showing up on my reservation or was it added before the final amount?

Minnesota disney fan

I am reporting back as I mentioned previously. We have been back one week from our stay at POFQ. We requested AM housekeeping upon check in explaining our medical needs after noon til 4 pm. We were assured this would be taken care of.
And it was taken care of until day #6. We got back to our room at about 12:30ish and our room was not done. We were tired and not feeling well by that time. I went to the front desk and asked for a room occupied sign. The CM told me that she would have someone bring one ASAP and put it on my door, and Not to disturb us til after 4pm. This was done, and I was impressed.
The next day, we were back later than planned at 2pm. The room was not done. I called and asked if housekeeping could come after 4pm so we could rest up and be able to continue with our evening plans. I was assured that a request would be sent ASAP.
We were trying to rest when at about 2:30 or 3pm a knock came at the door. I answered it without opening the door. The housekeeper said she needed to do the room. I told her we were in bed and that a request was sent with this information. She got indignant and told me that "they can't do that and tell her when to clean the room". I was beyond pain and tired and told her to come back at 4pm.
The room occupied sign was up. Well, about 15 to 20 minutes later, another knock came at the door. My husband woke up and the man said he needed to do a security check. My husband told him to come back in about 15 minutes and he could check all he wanted.
By that time, we had not gotten our needed rest and were still not well and in pain. I got on the phone and told the phone man what had happened. He said, why didn't you tell us it was for medical reasons? I said, I did at check in. He apologized and for the rest of the stay we had AM housekeeping. BTW, we stayed in the room till after 4pm and no one came in for the security check at that time. We left for our dinner reservations and came back to a clean room.
So what did I take from all this:
1: If you ask for a delay in housekeeping for whatever reason, you will get flagged for security.
2: If you hang a sign on the door, you will get flagged for security check.
I don't think it was a coincidence that security came right after we asked for later cleaning. I don't believe in coincidences.

I have no problem with them checking while we are out, but they must consider guests requests and have some common sense about it. Afterall, it is a VACATION, and we should not have to explain why we want to be in our room for whatever reason. Resting on vacation is a big part of some guests stay.
I understand they want to CYA, but why don't they do it like other hotels and call the room or arrange to come check it if the DND sign has been up for over 24 hours. That to me is common sense, not this disorganized attempt at "security".

Starlight67

1: If you ask for a delay in housekeeping for whatever reason, you will get flagged for security.
I don't think it was a coincidence that security came right after we asked for later cleaning. I don't believe in coincidences.

Thanks for posting the follow up! I had both security AND housekeeping when I was at POFQ in January. Maybe they realized this was ridiculous/overkill and abandoned that plan. Seems that one or another is enough for CYA purposes-for sure. Plus, you're right, no one wants all these people randomly in and out of the room interrupting sleeping.

Anyway, glad you got to the staff member who finally cleared things up for you!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am reporting back as I mentioned previously. We have been back one week from our stay at POFQ. We requested AM housekeeping upon check in explaining our medical needs after noon til 4 pm. We were assured this would be taken care of.
And it was taken care of until day #6. We got back to our room at about 12:30ish and our room was not done. We were tired and not feeling well by that time. I went to the front desk and asked for a room occupied sign. The CM told me that she would have someone bring one ASAP and put it on my door, and Not to disturb us til after 4pm. This was done, and I was impressed.
The next day, we were back later than planned at 2pm. The room was not done. I called and asked if housekeeping could come after 4pm so we could rest up and be able to continue with our evening plans. I was assured that a request would be sent ASAP.
We were trying to rest when at about 2:30 or 3pm a knock came at the door. I answered it without opening the door. The housekeeper said she needed to do the room. I told her we were in bed and that a request was sent with this information. She got indignant and told me that "they can't do that and tell her when to clean the room". I was beyond pain and tired and told her to come back at 4pm.
The room occupied sign was up. Well, about 15 to 20 minutes later, another knock came at the door. My husband woke up and the man said he needed to do a security check. My husband told him to come back in about 15 minutes and he could check all he wanted.
By that time, we had not gotten our needed rest and were still not well and in pain. I got on the phone and told the phone man what had happened. He said, why didn't you tell us it was for medical reasons? I said, I did at check in. He apologized and for the rest of the stay we had AM housekeeping. BTW, we stayed in the room till after 4pm and no one came in for the security check at that time. We left for our dinner reservations and came back to a clean room.
So what did I take from all this:

I have no problem with them checking while we are out, but they must consider guests requests and have some common sense about it. Afterall, it is a VACATION, and we should not have to explain why we want to be in our room for whatever reason. Resting on vacation is a big part of some guests stay.
I understand they want to CYA, but why don't they do it like other hotels and call the room or arrange to come check it if the DND sign has been up for over 24 hours. That to me is common sense, not this disorganized attempt at "security".
Ridiculous!

J_Krafty24

Anyone have any thoughts on my plan of calling the front desk and having them give me a name and physical description of the person they have doing security checks if they happen while I am in the room? I feel super uncomfortable at the idea of allowing a stranger to enter my room with me especially if I happen to be alone. With the pizza flyer scams and phone scams and whatnot that have happened on property I would want to be sure the person saying they are security actually is security.

Much-Pixie-Dust

Anyone have any thoughts on my plan of calling the front desk and having them give me a name and physical description of the person they have doing security checks if they happen while I am in the room? I feel super uncomfortable at the idea of allowing a stranger to enter my room with me especially if I happen to be alone. With the pizza flyer scams and phone scams and whatnot that have happened on property I would want to be sure the person saying they are security actually is security.
At AKL last month it was a big man in a suit with a Disney nametag.

I am Timmy

What pizza flyer and phone scams? I haven't heard of these yet, and I am uncomfortable with a lot of this. TIA!

J_Krafty24

At one time pizza flyers were getting into the rooms were you call the number, order a pizza, give your credit card number and wait for a pizza that never arrives. At another time someone was calling the hotel rooms saying they were the front desk and that they needed your credit card info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom