"Do not disturb" signs being removed from resort rooms

tk924

Original Poster
Beginning with the three monorail resorts near the Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort Hotels will no longer provide guests with “Do Not Disturb” signs to put on their doors. The signs will be replaced with “Room Occupied” signs that will notify cast members that guests are in the rooms. However, these guests will be “disturbed” at some point, as it will now be required that a Disney employee enter their hotel room at least once a day to ensure guest safety.

If you choose to forgo housekeeping on a given day, the Disney nomenclature states that “the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purposes including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property.” Disney states that cast members will give reasonable notice prior to entering by knocking and announcing that they will enter.

The popular theory is that this is a response to the incident that happened in Vegas earlier this year. The monorail resorts are quite tall and offer similar vantage points of crowded guest areas, as well as Walt Disney World transportation such as monorails, buses, and watercraft. Disney is not publicly stating why they are making the change though.

Guests at the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary Resorts should find a paper in their rooms today noting the change. These changes are expected to roll out to other Walt Disney World Resort Hotels in the coming weeks.

Do not like.

wdwfan22

This is tough. I better not be sleeping. Regardless, I will have the deadbolt always engaged now so they will not be entering unless I let them.

It's not hard to get into a room with a deadbolt on. I'm sure Disney also knows how to get into a room with a deadbolt secured.

wdwfan22

I am assuming you mean by busting the door down. If that is the case, I have a hard time believing they plan on doing this unless shots are being fired.

Nope the door doesn't have the be busted down. It's very simple to get the bar removed form the door and it takes less the a minute to do it.

Polydweller

Do not like.
Why? Nothing really changes. Sign goes from Do not Disturb to Room Occupied. If you are getting housekeeping that’s the entrance for the day and that already happens. If you chose not to get housekeeping it already says that they may enter. It’s a safety thing because I can tell you as a hotelier people do have accidents, medical emergencies and some do die in your rooms and you need to check people for safety reasons. And after Vegas you want to lessen the chance of somebody setting up something like that.

So really, no big change here. And a bit of advice, even without housekeeping and nobody entering your room, lock valuables in the safe and put everything away. There are thiefs everywhere, even Disney World, and it is impossible to prevent every attack they came up with. Example, there was a thief that climbed 18 stories outside the to find open patio doors to enter rooms. And in my other job as forensic neuropsychologist I worked on his case so trust me it’s true and the thief will try anything.

drizgirl

Why? Nothing really changes. Sign goes from Do not Disturb to Room Occupied. If you are getting housekeeping that’s the entrance for the day and that already happens. If you chose not to get housekeeping it already says that they may enter. It’s a safety thing because I can tell you as a hotelier people do have accidents, medical emergencies and some do die in your rooms and you need to check people for safety reasons. And after Vegas you want to lessen the chance of somebody setting up something like that.

So really, no big change here. And a bit of advice, even without housekeeping and nobody entering your room, lock valuables in the safe and put everything away. There are thiefs everywhere, even Disney World, and it is impossible to prevent every attack they came up with. Example, there was a thief that climbed 18 stories outside the to find open patio doors to enter rooms. And in my other job as forensic neuropsychologist I worked on his case so trust me it’s true and the thief will try anything.
But people died in hotels before now. I'd say this is much more likely a response to what happened in Las Vegas. They want to look around and make sure nobody is putting together some sort of arsenal.

peter11435

I imagine this is mostly a change in nomenclature and changing the guest expectation of privacy placing the sign. I doubt they will change their own procedure that greatly. I imagine housekeeping will largely treat the occupied signs the same as they did the do not disturb and these rooms will be skipped. I doubt they will actually open and check every one every day. But now, If there is suspicion about something regarding a particular room they will be able to enter since their is no expectation of privacy established by placing the sign any longer.

JIMINYCR

Might be a problem for DS, he likes to sleep in and take his time getting up in the morning. DW and I dont sleep in or lounge around the room in the mornings. This change wont be a problem for us. We are up early and dont come back until late. I think in all the years weve stayed in Disney resorts, only a couple of times were we in the room when mousekeepers happened to knock.
But what a gruesome image ... walking in and finding a dead body in a resort room. :eek::eek::eek:

Incomudro

I imagine this is mostly a change in nomenclature and changing the guest expectation of privacy placing the sign. I doubt they will change their own procedure that greatly. I imagine housekeeping will largely treat the occupied signs the same as they did the do not disturb and these rooms will be skipped. I doubt they will actually open and check every one every day. But now, If there is suspicion about something regarding a particular room they will be able to enter since their is no expectation of privacy established by placing the sign any longer.

Perhaps they will note the number of days they are unable to access a room.

deeevo

I never forgo Mousekeeping... I want a clean room when I return from the parks or pool. Problem is sometimes or most of the time that happens late in the day and we are already back chilling in the room and don't want to be disturbed so we put out the sign. Based on the info floating around if you forgo the Mousekeeping it will now be required that a Disney employee enter their hotel room at least once a day to ensure guest safety. Now if Mousekeeping can't make it to my room in 8 hours and they come knocking on my door late in the afternoon that will be a problem.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I did not know that. I guess I can just wedge a chair behind the door then.
https://www.addalock.com/

41mmHO01TqL.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom