DLR D23 Discussion & News

truecoat

It's hard to be an insider when even Disney doesn't know what they're doing.

Excited Season 1 GIF by The Office

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Another thing: I was so sure they were going to announce a date for MB+ introduction at Disneyland in today's panel (especially because they dedicated a corner of the Parks pavilion to MB+). They didn't even manage to do that.
I was expecting that too. I'm guessing they're having some issue with its implementation at DLR that its been delayed into 2023.

Sharon&Susan

Is this the first one of these P&R panels where they didn't announce a single new ride (not counting the reworked Marvel attraction) for any resort?

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I've never been on DCL, but I do not agree with this take whatsoever. DCL is an in house creation from Imagineering. I'm sure more attendees have been on their cruises than have gone to an Asian Park. It's absolutely relevant to the Parks Panel, DCL is primarily marketed towards parks guests.

It was a relatively small part of the panel and honestly they actually had more substantial things to show for it. A new ship and a new island. DCL is NOT an acquisition.

People are free not to like DCL and tune out, but to say it doesn't belong in the presentation is inane.
Well I as a fan of themeparks don't care about their cruises or private islands. It slowed everything down for me. Just another ad. Glad you and others were into it. It's just not my thing I suppose.

TP2000

Okay, I just got done having a glass of wine while watching not only a rerun of Benson, but also having a second glass of wine while watching the Parks Panel from today's D23 Expo. And earlier today I got in a dishy Mimosa brunch, a Target run, and two (2!) loads of laundry. I have never been more successful and productive than I was this Sunday! :D 🍷

My thoughts? In the traditional Good, Bad, and Ugly format. Although in no particular order...

The Good:
  • Josh D'Amaro does well at these things. He's got a script and he sticks to it, but he does it well. You almost could believe that he actually likes this job and has a genuine passion for this Parks product. Until he gets passed over for the CEO spot in 2025 and moves on to Delta Air Lines or Holiday Inn or something.
  • My God, Tokyo Disney Resort just keeps getting better and better! Their Fantasy Springs expansion for DisneySea and complete rebuild of Space Mountain looks fantastic. I can't wait for my next visit to Tokyo Disneyland! And then the one after that. And then another one.
  • Reprogrammed fireworks at Disneyland, and rethemed water show for Anaheim's Spare Park. Great.
  • Tiana finally gets the restaurant in New Orleans Square that they should have built back in '09. Better late than never, but honestly what took you so damn long? Not sure New Orleans Square would stick around, or what?
  • Tiana's log ride gets... new concept art that has more computer generated effects. Okay. It's so painfully obvious this was announced way too early and was not ready for prime time. It's still not.
The Bad:
  • Was that it? Did I miss something? Should I track back a few minutes on the video? Oh. That's it? That's all? After all this time? Uh... okay. At least we still have Tokyo Disneyland.
  • Pacific Wharf becomes San Fransokyo Miniature Golf N' Food Court. In "the early stages of development". So, that means it won't show up for several more years and they don't know what they're doing yet. Okay. It's dumb.
The Ugly:
  • Executive Dress Code. I get it, these are all middle to late-middle aged execs who want desperately to still look young and hip. But the endless parade of Dad Jeans on the stage of the Anaheim Convention Center today was not attractive. Josh, bless his lanky Italian jogging Cool Dad heart, even tried to pull off white Adidas sneakers and some sort of seasonally inappropriate sweater thing with lapels. All of these execs looked dorky and... middle aged. Just wear slacks and a sport coat, okay? It's better that way, and we can all just relax and not feel so awkward with you.
  • The handful of park meet n' greets they announced instead of announcing actual real investment in the parks. These new park meet n' greets that will tally their daily customer-interactions only in the hundreds of paying customers is not something to announce at D23 Expo. This is just routine and modest park investment, not something to go Woo-hoo! over. Stop trying to make it something more than it is.
  • Marvel E Ticket. You can tell they are mad at themselves for announcing this just before Covid started. Now they have to pretend it's still happening. No new details, no timeline, no news. And it's a motion simulator in front of Screenz. So, it's Universal's Simpson's ride themed to Marvel. You should have just pretended you never announced it back in 2019. The last few years have been really weird, so a lot of people would have forgotten. Best to just stay quiet on this one.
  • Is it me, or did WDW actually end up with fewer and worse announcements than Disneyland? And Disneyland's announcements were already underwhelming and sucky (technical term).
But seriously, what the hell was with all those awful Dad Jeans on the stage today? I'm hoping when SNL returns to the air for the new season, they update this old classic for Josh D'Amaro, Kevin Fiege, and the other dorky dads at D23 Expo...

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Okay, I just got done having a glass of wine while watching not only a rerun of Benson, but also having a second glass of wine while watching the Parks Panel from today's D23 Expo. And earlier today I got in a dishy Mimosa brunch, a Target run, and two (2!) loads of laundry. I have never been more successful and productive than I was this Sunday! :D 🍷

My thoughts? In the traditional Good, Bad, and Ugly format. Although in no particular order...

The Good:
  • Josh D'Amaro does well at these things. He's got a script and he sticks to it, but he does it well. You almost could believe that he actually likes this job and has a genuine passion for this Parks product. Until he gets passed over for the CEO spot in 2025 and moves on to Delta Air Lines or Holiday Inn or something.
  • My God, Tokyo Disney Resort just keeps getting better and better! Their Fantasy Springs expansion for DisneySea and complete rebuild of Space Mountain looks fantastic. I can't wait for my next visit to Tokyo Disneyland! And then the one after that. And then another one.
  • Reprogrammed fireworks at Disneyland, and rethemed water show for the Spare Park. Great.
  • Tiana finally gets the restaurant in New Orleans Square that they should have built back in '09. Better late than never, but honestly what took you so damn long? Not sure New Orleans Square would stick around, or what?
  • Tiana's log ride gets... new concept art that has more computer generated effects. Okay. It's so painfully obvious this was announced way too early and was not ready for prime time. It's still not.
The Bad:
  • Was that it? Did I miss something? Should I track back a few minutes on the video? Oh. That's it? That's all? After all this time? Uh... okay. At least we still have Tokyo Disneyland.
  • Pacific Wharf becomes San Fransokyo Miniature Golf N' Food Court. In "the early stages of development". So, that means it won't show up for several more years and they don't know what they're doing yet. Okay. It's dumb.
The Ugly:
  • Executive Dress Code. I get it, these are all middle to late-middle aged execs who want desperately to still look young and hip. But the endless parade of Dad Jeans on the stage of the Anaheim Convention Center today was not attractive. Josh, bless his lanky Italian jogging Cool Dad heart, even tried to pull off white Adidas sneakers and some sort of awkward sweater thing with lapels. All of these execs looked dorky and... middle aged. Just wear slacks and a sport coat, okay? It's better that way, and we can all just relax and not feel so awkward with you.
  • The handful park of meet n' greets they announced instead of announcing actual real investment in the parks. These new park meet n' greets that will tally their daily customer-interactions only in the hundreds of paying customers is not something to announce at D23 Expo. This is just expected and routine park investment, not something to go Woo-hoo! over. Stop trying to make it something more than it is.
  • Marvel E Ticket. You can tell they are ed at themselves for announcing this just before Covid started. Now they have to pretend it's still happening. No new details, no timeline, no news. And it's a motion simulator in front of Screenz. So, it's Universal's Simpson's ride themed to Marvel. You should have just pretended you never announced it back in 2019. The last few years have been really weird, so a lot of people would have forgotten, or not remembered. Best to just stay quiet on this one.
  • Is it me, or did WDW actually end up with fewer and worse announcements than Disneyland? And Disneyland's announcements were already underwhelming and sucky (technical term).
But seriously, what the hell was with all those awful Dad Jeans on the stage today? I'm hoping when SNL returns to the air for the new season, they update this old classic for Josh D'Amaro, Kevin Fiege, and the other dorky dads at D23 Expo...

Fair assessment, I was pretty bummed this morning but after a day of reality I’m over it.

In hindsight I think it may be better to have lackluster D23s with low expectations rather than exciting D23s that announce tons of projects that never happen, or take half a decade to happen.

Rich T

Fair assessment, I was pretty bummed this morning but after a day of reality I’m over it.

In hindsight I think it may be better to have lackluster D23s with low expectations rather than exciting D23s that announce tons of projects that never happen, or take half a decade to happen.
Don’t settle, and don’t let them off the hook… but don’t be upset about it, either.

There’s no reason that a better-run Disney couldn’t create an intelligent, exciting Parks presentation full of great attraction announcements that they actually follow through on in a timely manner. What happened yesterday was a perfect summation of everything wrong with Disney right now.

In the end, it’s just about entertainment; none of this is vitally important and there are exciting non-Disney announcements happening all over the world. But don’t let Disney off the hook. They are accountable for everything they do (and don’t do).

CaptinEO

I'm sure this stuff will still take half a decade to happen. The Tron thing is embarrassing that Disney is taking 6 years to build a ride that only took a year to make in Shanghai.

Then they have Josh riding it to showcase the incomplete ride when anyone can google a video of the completed Shanghai ride with all the special effects working.

Stevek

The Good:
  • Reprogrammed fireworks at Disneyland, and rethemed water show for Anaheim's Spare Park. Great.
The Bad:
The Ugly:
  • Executive Dress Code. I get it, these are all middle to late-middle aged execs who want desperately to still look young and hip. But the endless parade of Dad Jeans on the stage of the Anaheim Convention Center today was not attractive. Josh, bless his lanky Italian jogging Cool Dad heart, even tried to pull off white Adidas sneakers and some sort of seasonally inappropriate sweater thing with lapels. All of these execs looked dorky and... middle aged. Just wear slacks and a sport coat, okay? It's better that way, and we can all just relax and not feel so awkward with you.
  • The handful of park meet n' greets they announced instead of announcing actual real investment in the parks. These new park meet n' greets that will tally their daily customer-interactions only in the hundreds of paying customers is not something to announce at D23 Expo. This is just routine and modest park investment, not something to go Woo-hoo! over. Stop trying to make it something more than it is.
  • Marvel E Ticket. You can tell they are mad at themselves for announcing this just before Covid started. Now they have to pretend it's still happening. No new details, no timeline, no news. And it's a motion simulator in front of Screenz. So, it's Universal's Simpson's ride themed to Marvel. You should have just pretended you never announced it back in 2019. The last few years have been really weird, so a lot of people would have forgotten. Best to just stay quiet on this one.

The hype around the meet and gropes was the biggest joke of all for me. It really was laughable.

As for WDW, I really didn’t expect anything given the recent investment in Guardians, Other Epcot stuff, and Tron. Disneyland is what I would have expected to hear more about, beyond entertainment and an unnecessary Pacific Wharf overlay.

I will say that if I ever did another Disney cruise, the Treasure does look appealing as it’s different than the other ships. But that’s a big if.

Overall, just very little substance for a 90 presentation.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Is this the first one of these P&R panels where they didn't announce a single new ride (not counting the reworked Marvel attraction) for any resort?

The Rapunzel flat ride at WDSP was formerly unannounced (but recently leaked).

They did a terrible job of it, but The Moana ride at AK is real. The Zootopia overlay of dinosaur is what was more blue sky/phase 2. That’s why they were being so weird in that segment.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

The Good:
The Bad:
The Ugly:

As someone who wears jeans almost exclusively even to the office, I don't mind the business casual look they were going for. No one needs to wear slacks and a sport coat or even a 3 piece suit any more at presentations like this. Its suppose to be fun and casual, its a theme park presentation after all. :)

Stevek

The Rapunzel flat ride at WDSP was formerly unannounced (but recently leaked).

They did a terrible job of it, but The Moana ride at AK is real. The Zootopia overlay of dinosaur is what was more blue sky/phase 2. That’s why they were being so weird in that segment.
I think the Moana area, if they are truly building a high quality flume ride, could be the surprise home run. Fits well with the park though it’s a bit redundant with the Moana water area in Epcot.

CaptinEO

I think the Moana area, if they are truly building a high quality flume ride, could be the surprise home run. Fits well with the park though it’s a bit redundant with the Moana water area in Epcot.
I just don't get what Moana has to do with animals, why don't they just make a tropical/island animal area? And what does that have to do with Zootopia? It's going to go from a tribal island to major city?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I just don't get what Moana has to do with animals, why don't they just make a tropical/island animal area? And what does that have to do with Zootopia? It's going to go from a tribal island to major city?
Just a guess, but maybe because Moana takes place primarily in the ocean its the ocean life that is what ties it to "animals" as a celebration for all animals?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom