DLR D23 Discussion & News

CaptinEO

That's it exactly!

Which is why Tokyo Disneyland is such perfection. Disney wrote a bible on how to run a Disneyland circa 1982, and gave it with great seriousness to the Japanese (along with plenty of legal contracts). Being Japanese, the owners and managers of Tokyo Disneyland studied that bible earnestly and dutifully, and then performed the park operation exactly to the letter, elevating it to a true art form. Just like how the Japanese studied American automotive manufacturing circa 1960, but elevated it to a true art form so that every cheap 1975 Honda off the line was even better built than an expensive 1961 Lincoln Continental.

And the result at Tokyo Disneyland was typically Japanese, and utterly perfect. And it still is to this day. Which is why when you visit Tokyo Disneyland the entire park seems fresh and sparkling new as if it just opened a week ago, when much of it is 40 years old now. And every Tokyo CM you encounter looks like they stepped out of a circa 1965 Disneyland episode of Wonderful World of Color, when their counterparts in Anaheim are now tatted up with untucked shirts, black fingernails, and in desperate need of a haircut and a shave.

Disney wrote the book on how to run a Disneyland, then they've spent the last few years tearing up that book and lecturing us to forget that their book and those old standards ever existed.

Burbank Execs: "Lowered standards are better for you! You don't want old-fashioned CM's like this!"

4793569389_663e30a6d3.jpg
When the covid restrictions go away my wife and I are going to take a trip to Tokyo Disneyland. The reviews people post on here alone are convincing enough for us to be dying to visit.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Both of those gentlemen would be a genuine thrill to see in person, even if just 20 feet away. Fun!
It's a blessing Bob is still with us. I didn't get to talk with him this time, but I've seen him speak previously and what a Disney treasure he is!

Leonard Maltin I actually stopped and spoke with briefly. Again, I've seen him before, but he's a piece of Hollywood history himself, so I was happy to stop and say hi.

I think Margaret Kerry may have been at one of the booths as I saw signs for her, but there was such a crowd around the booth I couldn't actually see her. But I've seen her speak, too, and she's just such a little spitfire - she's darling!

BrianLo

Did you get into the WDI pin store queue at 7:45am?! (If you got any extra WDI profiles, let me know. :D )

I tried for WDI pin store, DSSH and 3rd floor LE Marketplace and all three from 6am onward (I refreshed for 20 minutes straight) said no availability.

Ah no sorry! I only did the expo market and Mickey of glendales. I did not look at those ones.

Movielover

So I arrived home yesterday after my first D23 convention and a extended Disneyland visit. Overall the experience was great. Managed to see everything at the convention that I set out to see and having only been to Disneyland once before in 2010 it was great getting back to that resort and seeing all the changes. Plus I was able to ride Splash one last time before it's unfortunate closing despite the shape its in.

Highlights of the convention for me was the Indy trailer, The Muppets Christmas Carol Panel, and being able to meet some incredible people.

1663405206680.png

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
So I arrived home yesterday after my first D23 convention and a extended Disneyland visit. Overall the experience was great. Managed to see everything at the convention that I set out to see and having only been to Disneyland once before in 2010 it was great getting back to that resort and seeing all the changes. Plus I was able to ride Splash one last time before it's unfortunate closing despite the shape its in.

Highlights of the convention for me was the Indy trailer, The Muppets Christmas Carol Panel, and being able to meet some incredible people.

View attachment 667347
Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Movielover

Glad you enjoyed yourself!
Thanks! I understand from some on here it was a "lesser" version than previous years, and I agree with the sentiments on here about the Parks Panel (even though as a theater person I did enjoy the live musical performances 🤷‍♂️). I was just enjoying myself. Plus having been through Star Wars Celebration it was nice to not have to deal with the endless scuffles for merchandise, people were way more calmer about that here haha.

No Name

Avatar is in DAK, anything is on the table for that park if it can even loosely be tied to nature. I do find it a bit odd that they might have Moana areas in both parks though.
Avatar is strongly tied to nature!

Moana’s connection to water is about as deep as Mickey’s connection to water in Fantasmic. Zootopia is an allegory for human social issues and arguably contradicts any idea of Moana fitting. Yeah, it’s odd and it’s a mess. I miss the days when Tom Staggs would at least explain why he thought things fit the areas they were being built in.

Overall, they tried to assure fans they have an idea of what they’re doing, but inadvertently revealed they actually have no idea what they’re doing. It makes me very worried for the Marvel E-ticket and possible Tomorrowland changes.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Plus having been through Star Wars Celebration it was nice to not have to deal with the endless scuffles for merchandise, people were way more calmer about that here haha.
Apparently you were not one of the people lining up overnight three nights in a row for the merch then running for the lines every morning. ;) (Neither was I, but I know people who basically didn't sleep for 72 hours in order to get stuff in the stores.)

However, I didn't hear the horror stories this year of tons of people being trampled over and wheelchairs knocked over or climbed over like previous Expos. So I guess that's progress?

Movielover

Apparently you were not one of the people lining up overnight three nights in a row for the merch then running for the lines every morning. ;) (Neither was I, but I know people who basically didn't sleep for 72 hours in order to get stuff in the stores.)

However, I didn't hear the horror stories this year of tons of people being trampled over and wheelchairs knocked over or climbed over like previous Expos. So I guess that's progress?
I guess I just don't see the point of waiting in that merch line to just turn around and resell it online for a jacked up price. I guess that's why I'm not rich lol. I was able to get a reservation for both Marvel and Parks panel so I guess that's that lol

VJ

It’s also possible that Tomorrowland will be a 70th anniversary present, which is three years away. If we are getting stuff for the 70th anniversary, I definitely wouldn’t expect any lip about it now.

Lots of potential reasons why nothing was mentioned about Tomorrowland.
i honestly wouldn't expect much, if anything, for the 70th besides the usual food and merchandise - it seems they're going all-in on the 100th celebration with new shows and everything and that's two years before disneyland's 70th anniversary.

would they really throw a huge 60th-style celebration two years after the last one?

with these executives at the helm?

search your feelings, you know it to be true

Disney Analyst

View attachment 667347

I’d love to hear all about your Disneyland experience! Last time I was in Disneyland was January 2011, and so much has changed since then!

Would love to hear your perspective :)

MarvelCharacterNerd

I guess I just don't see the point of waiting in that merch line to just turn around and resell it online for a jacked up price. I guess that's why I'm not rich lol. I was able to get a reservation for both Marvel and Parks panel so I guess that's that lol
Not everyone in those lines was getting for resale. I know people getting for their own collections as well as for friends.

Congrats on getting the panels. I got zero. lol

Movielover

I’d love to hear all about your Disneyland experience! Last time I was in Disneyland was January 2011, and so much has changed since then!

Would love to hear your perspective :)
In terms of new stuff for me. I had done East Coast Galaxy Edge back in 2020 so getting back to Batuu was fun! I did the droid building and love it. Rise is fantastic as always and besides the cannons everything worked on both ride throughs. Avengers Campus was fun and Guardians was exciting, although the lack of the Avengers headliner is noticeable. Buena Vista Street looked great. Pixar Pier was ok but Incredicoaster was still really fun. Carsland looked fantastic, and finally being able to experience Haunted Mansion Holiday was great!

Outside of that new stuff I was glad to be able to ride Splash one last time before the retheme. Definitely a lack of upkeep around the park. Splash was in abysmal shape AA and lighting wise. Indy snake was completely still and boulder was in B mode. Radiator Springs Racers was down all day 1 out of 3 of my park days and I was evacuated off of Midway Mania when it broke down. At one point on Tuesday Space, Pirates, Big Thunder, Indy, Small World, Railroad, Tiki Room, and Great Moments were all temporarily down close to the same time. I personally didn't let it get to me too much, but the lack of maintenance is super frustrating.

Overall it was just fun to to be back at the original Disneyland despite the maintenance and high prices. Plus getting to ride Mr Toad's Wild Ride again is always a big positive.

truecoat

In terms of new stuff for me. I had done East Coast Galaxy Edge back in 2020 so getting back to Batuu was fun! I did the droid building and love it. Rise is fantastic as always and besides the cannons everything worked on both ride throughs. Avengers Campus was fun and Guardians was exciting, although the lack of the Avengers headliner is noticeable. Buena Vista Street looked great. Pixar Pier was ok but Incredicoaster was still really fun. Carsland looked fantastic, and finally being able to experience Haunted Mansion Holiday was great!

Outside of that new stuff I was glad to be able to ride Splash one last time before the retheme. Definitely a lack of upkeep around the park. Splash was in abysmal shape AA and lighting wise. Indy snake was completely still and boulder was in B mode. Radiator Springs Racers was down all day 1 out of 3 of my park days and I was evacuated off of Midway Mania when it broke down. At one point on Tuesday Space, Pirates, Big Thunder, Indy, Small World, Railroad, Tiki Room, and Great Moments were all temporarily down close to the same time. I personally didn't let it get to me too much, but the lack of maintenance is super frustrating.

Overall it was just fun to to be back at the original Disneyland despite the maintenance and high prices. Plus getting to ride Mr Toad's Wild Ride again is always a big positive.

Some of that downtime could be guest-related and not maintenance. We've safety-proofed generations of idiots and now they are everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom