DLP`s Timekeeper rumoured to be closing - is WDW next?

krafty

Thanks for the welcomes, guys.

Timekeeper is a cool attraction, but innovations in technology could make for a much better presentation if it was re-done.

I will say it was pretty sad to walk by it when it was closed for so many visits, and I'm glad I got to go through it once more last December.

stagestar

Timekeeper at DLRP

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there,

as the rumor has spilled over from our board at DLP.info to WDWMagic let me point something out:

The pending closure of the Visionarium is strictely a RUMOR at this point. It has been brought up several times already, notably in 2002 when it lost its sponsor Renault and GM (through its brand Opel) started sponsoring the brand new Stunt Show over at the Studios. So far Visionarium has stayed around.

DLRP just made a major revision to its rehab calendar announcing the closure of SpaceMountain from 10th of January till 8th of April 2005 (among others). The Visionarium has NOT been included into the list of closures.

Also with SpaceMountain getting a complete new storyline and effects it will be the marketing center piece for all of 2005 in DLRP, therefore huge crowds are to be expected in Discoveryland. This should make it questionable wether the Visionarium (a true people eater) would be closed next year to put in something new. This certainly would allow closure at the end of the summer season and installation of a replacement till next April ... but

a) why open two new rides at the same time in the same land?? SpaceMountain - Mission II should be enough to attract guests, or at least that is what they hope
b) how to finance putting in a new ride? DLRP has financial troubles and the 250 million Euro for new attractions and assets won't be available before next April, so I doubt there is money now to replace the Visionarium and work next spring / summer would be really bad show as the SpaceMountain sits next doors.

So till some confirmation turns up I would call this just one of many rumors.

Yours
Dirk

jrriddle

I hope that you are right Dirk, while I would miss Visionarium, I would be ok as long as it does not get replaced with Buzz. If it has to go at least keep the Discoveryland theme.

jrriddle

General Grizz said:
Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, and "Little Green Men" are Disney characters from animated features. . . which was the original focus of Fantasyland. With less focus on progress/future, we're going into stories, although they are somewhat "futuristic" (but merely because of their alien/outer space setting).

This isn't bad. . . but I think Buzz Lightyear and Stitch's Great Escape are enough for now. Create new original characters for Timekeeper's replacement. . . but I think Disney's looking mostly on the merchandising/less reliance on new ideas.

While I agree with you Grizz 9.5 time out of 10, I still think a Tron Ride would be very cool in Tomorrowland.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Hmm...now I'm going to have to go experience TK for the first time after I get all moved in and we buy our AP's...

My five year old keeps telling me he can't wait to move to Disneyworld. I tell him I can't wait until we can do that too, but for now we'll just have to move really really close, lol

ToTBellHop

As long as there is a quality replacement, I won't miss Timekeeper. I can't help but feel bumper cars would feel too much like the ride at DisneyQuest, which is even better thanks to the cannons in the cars. Disneyland shows that the circlevision theatres are big enough for rides, so I would hope for a dark omni-mover ride like the old Dreamflight. Perhaps they could revive the Time Racer proposal with a ride there.

DarkMeasures

All time keeper needs is a nice rehab to fix everything. The attraction does not attract crowds though, that is the problem, same with the World Showcase films because those are updated very rarely. Wasn't it before Timekeeper, the circlevision film was updated every few years so there always seemed to be something new.

Anyway, if Timekeeper were to go (as it basically has already), there is some really good room for a nice attraction, I just hope that those who greenlight will greenlight an attraction that is original. I would really like to see a Circlevision where it is all 1 seemless, unbroken screen. The only way I can see that happening would be using LEDs but those don't have the best picture quality.

General Grizz

DarkMeasures said:
All time keeper needs is a nice rehab to fix everything. The attraction does not attract crowds though, that is the problem, same with the World Showcase films because those are updated very rarely. Wasn't it before Timekeeper, the circlevision film was updated every few years so there always seemed to be something new.

Anyway, if Timekeeper were to go (as it basically has already), there is some really good room for a nice attraction, I just hope that those who greenlight will greenlight an attraction that is original. I would really like to see a Circlevision where it is all 1 seemless, unbroken screen. The only way I can see that happening would be using LEDs but those don't have the best picture quality.
That would ROCK!

Foolish Mortal

I hope Timekeeper make's it thru at least the Thanksgiving weekend. I always like'd this attraction. It's cool hearing it on various Live 365 stations, but I would love to see it one last time before it's demise. I think there should be a rule that no attraction can close without giving the public a 1 year window to catch that attraction 1 last time.

careship

I know that for those of us who go often, TK is something that doesn't change and could easily be looked over. Those people who come for the first time usually don't get a chance to see TK because it was hardly ever open. We went for the first time in years because it had always been closed while we were there and my kids loved it. It wasn't busy and I was saddened by that. So, if you have to get rid of it, so be it, however....

Put something new, original and keeping the theme of the land. Please I beg of you all, not bumper cars. I can do that at DisneyQuest. I would love a new exciting futuristic circlevision there. I also saw someone mention Tron there. That would be a great basis but yet even that would have to have an update. Didn't Disney buy the rights to a book with Hover Cars or something that they are planning to make into a movie? It has to be futuristic and unfortunately, the land condemns itself in many ways the same as Communicore did. Technology changes faster then you can build a ride or showcase and then it becomes obsolete yet again. It needs a living on Mars or hover cars and things that are a long way off to be able to be used in the land without becoming outdated quickly. I don't know, my 2 cents aren't worth it.

WDWhumanmap

first is when did dl ever get timekeeper i was just there over last summer and there was no sign of timekeeper. i am not a big fan of the ride anyway its too long to stand. but it is better than the ride that was there before it.
i think a new ride should go there or where the tomorrowland theatre is instead of where they are wanting it to go which is the carousel of progress and i know no one wants to see that gone besides its walt's dream thats like knocking down and getting rid of itsw. oh no i said it sorry :zipit: :lol:

Captain Hank

DL Paris was the original home of the Timekeeper show (though under a different name that I have no hope of spelling correctly). It seems like I'm in the minority, but I enjoy Timekeeper very much and I make a point to see it every time I'm there while it's open. Robin Williams is absolutely brilliant in it. It also has one of the best pre-show videos, in my opinion.

P.S. Commas are your friends.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
hcwalker16 said:
DL Paris was the original home of the Timekeeper show (though under a different name that I have no hope of spelling correctly). It seems like I'm in the minority, but I enjoy Timekeeper very much and I make a point to see it every time I'm there while it's open. Robin Williams is absolutely brilliant in it. It also has one of the best pre-show videos, in my opinion.

It's Le Visionarium in Paris.

And I agree with you on all counts. :cool:

Figment1986

Grizz.... no joking with that..... Disney should keep the land focaused on it's 93 intent... the future that never was.... and the speeday doesn't fit in fantasyland.... (and doesn't fit in the 93 theme but they kept it)

I hope they replace it with something worthwile if they ever do.... at least do not keep it empty like what some other parks do... (and disney does from time to time... sadly)

(whats this talk of a movie with hovercars...... that sounds like a Isaac Asimov book....)

dxwwf3

Figment1986 said:
Disney should keep the land focaused on it's 93 intent... the future that never was.

I hate to say it but the "Future That Never Was" is almost dead. The centerpiece is gone and the other main addition is about to go down. Sure the architecture will stay the same, but the New Tomorrowland is pretty much dead.

Tomorrowland 3: Revenge of the Characters (aka Fantasyland East) will be in full effect whenever Timekeeper and Carousel of Progress close. CoP could still be saved, but Timekeeper and 9-Eye are probably getting ready to join the XS-Tech gang in WDW Heaven :lol:

mrtoad

dxwwf3 said:
I hate to say it but the "Future That Never Was" is almost dead. The centerpiece is gone and the other main addition is about to go down. Sure the architecture will stay the same, but the New Tomorrowland is pretty much dead.

Tomorrowland 3: Revenge of the Characters (aka Fantasyland East) will be in full effect whenever Timekeeper and Carousel of Progress close. CoP could still be saved, but Timekeeper and 9-Eye are probably getting ready to join the XS-Tech gang in WDW Heaven :lol:

When you say "centerpiece" what did you mean?

dxwwf3

mrtoad said:
When you say "centerpiece" what did you mean?

Well in the promotional campaign Disney used, they described Alien Encounter as the "Centerpiece of the New Tomorrowland". It was the biggest addition to the park since Splash Mountain, so I guess they thought that term was fitting.

mrtoad

dxwwf3 said:
Well in the promotional campaign Disney used, they described Alien Encounter as the "Centerpiece of the New Tomorrowland". It was the biggest addition to the park since Splash Mountain, so I guess they thought that term was fitting.

That is strange, I still think of Space Mountain as the centerpiece. It is one of the famed MK mountains. I wonder why they hyped AE as that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom