DLP`s Timekeeper rumoured to be closing - is WDW next?

Kopp8699

mrtoad said:
That is strange, I still think of Space Mountain as the centerpiece. It is one of the famed MK mountains. I wonder why they hyped AE as that.

I think it was because it was brand new back then, while Space Mountain was previously there.

Lee

Adventurer
General Grizz said:
Lee, hear anything about Pixar's "Cars" taking over the Indy Speedway?? :brick:

Nope...but it sounds like something they would do.
I hope not.
I don't want anything to prolong the life of that miserable waste of space.

DarkMeasures

Lee said:
Nope...but it sounds like something they would do.
I hope not.
I don't want anything to prolong the life of that miserable waste of space.

It could be horrible... but the current ride is horrible, but cars is even more horrible...

But before anything happens to the speedway, somethingwill probably happen to the Skyway station and CoP theatre first. (i know, I just hope CoP will get moved to a permanent location)

dxwwf3

mrtoad said:
That is strange, I still think of Space Mountain as the centerpiece. It is one of the famed MK mountains. I wonder why they hyped AE as that.

Notice I said "Centerpiece of the NEW Tomorrowland". Space Mountain was not added in the New Tomorrowland. And they hyped AE that way because, like I said earlier, it was the biggest addition to the MK since Splash Mountain. They also didn't figure that the average guest could not read a warning sign ;) And IMO, it has been the biggest addition since Splash Mountain. Hopefully soon we will get another E-ticket attraction in the MK.

If they do replace The Timekeeper (almost a certainty), I really hope that it gets a decent replacement. As much as I hate SGE replacing AE, I also know that AE is getting a worthy replacement. I do not have that much faith in a Timekeeper replacement.

DigitalDisney

AE was definately the centerpiece of the new tomorrowland. Remember how long the lines got? In peak crowds, AE lines were longer than SM's lines. It was also a definate change in direction for the Disney company. The problem is that, for a lot of people, the ride didn't have much re-ridability. It's a shame.

Regarding Visionarium, I'm not surprised if it will close. TDL's Circlevision theater has already been converted to a Buzz ride, and DL's Circlevision is in the process of being converted. Buzz has proven to be popular with everyone, and it's probably one of the most re-ridable attractions in all Disney parks.

The problem here is that, while WDW's Buzz is very different from TDL's, it appears that the newer versions will more or less be exactly the same rides.

dxwwf3

DigitalDisney said:
AE was definately the centerpiece of the new tomorrowland. Remember how long the lines got? In peak crowds, AE lines were longer than SM's lines. It was also a definate change in direction for the Disney company. The problem is that, for a lot of people, the ride didn't have much re-ridability. It's a shame.

Regarding Visionarium, I'm not surprised if it will close. TDL's Circlevision theater has already been converted to a Buzz ride, and DL's Circlevision is in the process of being converted. Buzz has proven to be popular with everyone, and it's probably one of the most re-ridable attractions in all Disney parks.

The problem here is that, while WDW's Buzz is very different from TDL's, it appears that the newer versions will more or less be exactly the same rides.

I agree with you. I will never forget our first trip to MK when the New Tomorrowland first opened. We waited 90 minutes for AE and we never wait more than 30 minutes for attractions usually. But my parents knew how bad I wanted to see it because I wouldn't shut up about it. I can also see how some people thought it didn't have much re-rideability. But I thought it got better each time you saw it (Much like This Is Spinal Tap or Pulp Fiction).

How big are these Buzz clones going to be in a Circle Vision building? It doesn't seem like they will have as much room as we do in WDW, but I could be surprised.

ZHoyt

General Grizz said:
Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, and "Little Green Men" are Disney characters from animated features. . . which was the original focus of Fantasyland. With less focus on progress/future, we're going into stories, although they are somewhat "futuristic" (but merely because of their alien/outer space setting).

This isn't bad. . . but I think Buzz Lightyear and Stitch's Great Escape are enough for now. Create new original characters for Timekeeper's replacement. . . but I think Disney's looking mostly on the merchandising/less reliance on new ideas.

This is something i've been thinking about lately, have there been any successful original characters introduced at WDW since Figment? Maybe I'm blanking out but I can't really think of any.

General Grizz

Not necessarily any outright successes to the degree of Figment and Dreamfinder, but characters from Alien Encounter have been put in plush animal/figurine form and t-shirts (i.e. Skippy and the SIR). Also, the Cranium Command (1989) characters have created quite a fanbase. :)

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:
Not necessarily any outright successes to the degree of Figment and Dreamfinder, but characters from Alien Encounter have been put in plush animal/figurine form and t-shirts (i.e. Skippy and the SIR). Also, the Cranium Command (1989) characters have created quite a fanbase. :)

And don't forget about Alien himself. They sold alot of those action figures of him in the tube (In my opinion the best Disney collectable I have). They had t-shirts, hats, key chains, shot glasses, and even pens featuring the Alien.

The AE characters, Cranium Command, Timekeeper, Nine Eye, and Little Red :lol: are the only recent original characters I can think of. I guess the average joe guest would rather see familiar characters. But I would hope to see more originals in the future.

General Grizz

dxwwf3 said:
And don't forget about Alien himself. They sold alot of those action figures of him in the tube (In my opinion the best Disney collectable I have). They had t-shirts, hats, key chains, shot glasses, and even pens featuring the Alien.

The AE characters, Cranium Command, Timekeeper, Nine Eye, and Little Red :lol: are the only recent original characters I can think of. I guess the average joe guest would rather see familiar characters. But I would hope to see more originals in the future.
Don't forget some of the most identifiable Disney attractions (PoTC, HM, IASW, CoP, CBJ, JC, Tiki Room, and for Epcot, Figment) are based on completely original characters.

It's this timelessness that really makes the Disney parks unique, and not just copies of films. The balance is starting to tip. . . mostly because Disney is looking at short-term gain in character merchandise (based on the attraction) versus long-term park value.

If only the Imagineers were set free. . . heck, as bad as the attraction is, Eisner could learn from "Journey into Imagination with Figment."

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:
Don't forget some of the most identifiable Disney attractions (PoTC, HM, IASW, CoP, CBJ, JC, Tiki Room, and for Epcot, Figment) are based on completely original characters.

It's this timelessness that really makes the Disney parks unique, and not just copies of films. The balance is starting to tip. . . mostly because Disney is looking at short-term gain in character merchandise (based on the attraction) versus long-term park value.

If only the Imagineers were set free. . . heck, as bad as the attraction is, Eisner could learn from "Journey into Imagination with Figment."

I agree with everything said.

Disney seems to be getting more original with thrill rides, but they really do not feature "characters". Maybe the Yeti can become the next Alien :lol:

Mattimus

Could anyone explain what Timekeeper is actually? I've always walked by it and wondered what it was but I've never seen the show. I was going to on my last trip but my family decided not to because it was a stand up show and having a young cousin, it wouldn't have worked out well.

General Grizz

wdwtimekeeper.jpg

Based on one of my posts from July 2003:

The Timekeeper, once known as the Transportaurium, opened to Magic Kingdom guests with New Tomorrowland in 1995.

The show features Timekeeper (Robin Williams), a nutty robot professor who invites us to test out the latest invention at the Metropolis Science Center. "He'd love to take the time to take you through time!"

We enter the 360-degree theater after viewing a short preshow about Timekeeper and his assistant, NineEye (Rhea Perlman). She's a droid who will show us what her nine eyes pick up (9 circle vision screens; one for each eye). As NineEye says, "Whatever I see, you see. See?"

Following the short preshow, which comically includes information on Timekeeper's idols, H.G. Wells and Jules Verne, we are lead to the experimental theater room. Timekeeper is up front with his giant contraptions and controls. As we load, we can hear a few of his Disney-famous jokes:

"For your safety, I've invented rails for you to lean on. I call them...lean rails. Please do not sit on the lean rails. Because...they're there to LEAN on."

*Horn Nosise*: Arroooga!
Timekeeper: I don't know why that's there except to go "Arrooooga!"

pmtpmkatttimekeeperimg.jpg

"Now, please form double rows and move to the center of the theater. DO IT! YOU'VE BEEN WAITING OUTSIDE, YOU'VE BEEN IN LINE FOR A WHILE...JUST DO IT! (Calmly) Thank you."

This is an introduction to the mad professor...(who's incidentally at the controls). Eventually, the show begins and Audio-Animatronics Timekeeper introduces his assistant.

9-Eye: We're ready to go!
Timekeeper: I'LL decide when we're ready to go! We're ready to go.

The first portion of the show involves a trip BACK in time. We lose track of 9-Eye for a moment ("Miserable piece of metal!"), but she is quickly recovered. We first go all the way back to the time of the dinosaurs via the 360 screens. Next, we go to forward to the Ice Age, "Fabulous!", where NineEye better have hot cup of anti-freeze. We are then taken to 1453, the time of the Printing Press, but Timekeeper accidentally throws NineEye into a Scottish war. "No one's wearing underwear!"

Next, we make a quick stop at the Renaissance era to see Leonardo Da Vinci, one of Timekeeper's personal heroes. "La Macchina di tempo...to go." We don't stay long, but we learn quick enough that "gravity works" when we see one of Da Vinci's attempts to fly fail.

Next, we go to Mozart's 5th Birthday Recital. The young chap is playing away with Louis XVI (with his head still on) in the background. The group spots 9-Eye - but Timekeeper must work fast before he changes history. He quickly takes NineEye to the Paris Exposition, where we see the Eifell Tower being built in "fast forward". "Isn't that a great effect?" says Timekeeper. "I planned it that way, I really did."

Then, as Timekeeper has always dreamed, he makes a stop at the Universal Exposition of Paris 1900. Why did he stop? Because two of his heroes, HG Wells (Jeremy Irons) and Jules Verne (Michel Piccoli) are about to discuss their then-seeming impossible scientific achievements.

The music starts to fade into Bruce Broughton's famous Time to Time theme in a dramatic sense as Timekeeper drools over his heroes. HG Wells has brought a Time Machine model to the 1900 Convention...which Jules Verne finds utterly impossible. HG replies, "Impossible? Why, this may be imPROBABLE, but believe me, it's NOT impossible!" (The message of the theme will carry on to inspire).

When Jules spots NineEye, things REALLY start to get out of control. Timekeeper accidentally takes Jules Verne with him...to the future! Will Jules get to see the future? Timekeeper debates: "No I can't, Yes I can, No I Can't, Yes I can, No I can't, Yes I can, No I Can't!" (But that won't stop Verne, of course).

One of the most dramatic and inspirational scenes in Disney 360 history is about to occur as a visionary is about to see the future.

Jules (excited, of course) is taken on a train (but not inside, "picky picky"), in a racecar ("Pop a wheelie!"), on a bobsled, on a helicopter ("If Ya Had Wings, I'd Let Ya Go!"), and more. "I'm flying!" Jules yells. It's up to the parkgoer to appreciate our progress and how amazing it would be to experience this in Jules's shoes. We go undersea (There goes Susanne Sommers pulled by a blender fish) and back over the countryside ("Hello, Trevor! Take care!") and into New York, New York! You can spot the World Trade Center in the background.

But what REALLY touches Jules is when he is sent to the moon. ("We have an indentified Frenchman, Houston!") - for Jules wrote "From the Earth to the Moon." His dream HAS come true. And, what seemed impossible, or improbable, is now our REALITY. This is the promise of tomorrow. The score has picked up to a point that could bring tears to the keen analyzer.

However, Jules MUST get back - there are 30 seconds until his speech at the Exposition. Just like any Disney classic, Jules gets back, but HG "can't believe what [he's] seeing" when he spots Nine Eye. HG yells, "It's IMPOSSIBLE!" And Jules replies.."Improbible...Impossible no!" Looks like the tables have turned, no?

We leave Jules and HG...and then it's OUR tour to see OUR future! But there's a twist at the end. . . looks like you'll have to check it out to find out. ;)

Timekeeper is one of the most comical, educational, and emotional shows created by Walt Disney Imagineering. Yet, at the same time, it's hilarious! Just like any Disney classic, guests are learning (more than they think) while laughing their butts off.

No Pixar bumper car ride could ever do justice!

timekepper_tight_brush.jpg

Tim G

marni1971 said:
I hope WDW isn`t next... get the video cameras out and ask the CM nicely...
On a scale 1 to 100%, it's 85%
After SGE has been opened, TimeKeeper will close... maybe will re-open for the holidays for a while... but after that, it will be 95% chance of closing...
And a carnival ride will not happen...

General Grizz

Corrus said:
On a scale 1 to 100%, it's 85%
After SGE has been opened, TimeKeeper will close... maybe will re-open for the holidays for a while... but after that, it will be 95% chance of closing...
And a carnival ride will not happen...
What about Pixar?? :brick:

Tim G

General Grizz said:
What about Pixar?? :brick:
Looks like we're the only ones who aren't watching the 2004 convention..
But in answer to your question...

:zipit: :zipit: :zipit: If I could, believe me I would...

General Grizz

Corrus said:
Looks like we're the only ones who aren't watching the 2004 convention..
But in answer to your question...

:zipit: :zipit: :zipit: If I could, believe me I would...
:D Understood.

I'll do some dirty work. . . fine, make the bear work. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom