Dixie Landings - Why the name change?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought PC too, especially given the companies track record on the subject. One thought - tax breaks, or similar. Would it be better for the company financially to have one single, extremely large resort rather than two separate large resorts?

sbkline

From my understanding not just the name "Dixie" but the theme of the resort resembled the old cotton plantations of the south. This of course could invoke the idea of slavery. The removal of anything related to the south during that particular time frame in US history has been a hot topic down here for quite a while. IMHO Disney was being proactive. The most current issue has been the removal of the rebel flag from several state flags in particular Georgia.

Just nitpicking here, perhaps, but I disagree with the whole notion of the South being "rebels". Obviously, I disagree with slavery, but IMO, and in the opinion of many historians and even Confederate Generals, the Civil War was not about slavery. Sure, that was one of the catalysts that brought it to a head, but the issue itself was not slavery. It was states' rights vs Federal Tyranny. And the South peacefully and democratically seceeded from the Union and Lincoln responded by waging war on them. Ironic, when you look at the reaction of the United States when something similar happened in the old USSR in the early 90's. Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia declared independence so the Kremlin rolled the tanks in. The elder Bush denounced that, yet the North did exactly the same thing to the South and we, a hundred fifty or so years later, look back and hail Lincoln as a hero for waging war on a people who democratically made a choice to peacefully leave the Union. I've never lived in the South, but I'm a southerner at heart and have no qualms in saying that the South was right in the Civil War. So I don't consider them to be "rebels". I consider them to be people who objected to Federal tyranny and who made a free and democratic choice to break from the Union and go their seperate way and who then became victims of Northern aggression. I also find it interesting that the North acted all high and righteous in denouncing slavery but, by and large, the North didn't want the blacks up their way once they were freed.

Now in keeping this on topic, the long and the short of it is that you all can probably figure out what my whole stance is on this PC nonsense and changing the name of Dixie Landings. Cotton was a vibrant part of Southern culture, slavery notwithstanding. I see nothing wrong with a resort with that theme. Slavery was just one part of that overall culture. You can portray that culture and lifestyle without any direct references to slavery, and you can most certainly do it without giving the appearance of condoning slavery which, again, was a hideous institution. But as for references to that time in history, people need to just shut up, get over it and move on.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just nitpicking here, perhaps, but I disagree with the whole notion of the South being "rebels". Obviously, I disagree with slavery, but IMO, and in the opinion of many historians and even Confederate Generals, the Civil War was not about slavery. Sure, that was one of the catalysts that brought it to a head, but the issue itself was not slavery. It was states' rights vs Federal Tyranny. And the South peacefully and democratically seceeded from the Union and Lincoln responded by waging war on them. Ironic, when you look at the reaction of the United States when something similar happened in the old USSR in the early 90's. Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia declared independence so the Kremlin rolled the tanks in. The elder Bush denounced that, yet the North did exactly the same thing to the South and we, a hundred fifty or so years later, look back and hail Lincoln as a hero for waging war on a people who democratically made a choice to peacefully leave the Union. I've never lived in the South, but I'm a southerner at heart and have no qualms in saying that the South was right in the Civil War. So I don't consider them to be "rebels". I consider them to be people who objected to Federal tyranny and who made a free and democratic choice to break from the Union and go their seperate way and who then became victims of Northern aggression. I also find it interesting that the North acted all high and righteous in denouncing slavery but, by and large, the North didn't want the blacks up their way once they were freed.

Now in keeping this on topic, the long and the short of it is that you all can probably figure out what my whole stance is on this PC nonsense and changing the name of Dixie Landings. Cotton was a vibrant part of Southern culture, slavery notwithstanding. I see nothing wrong with a resort with that theme. Slavery was just one part of that overall culture. You can portray that culture and lifestyle without any direct references to slavery, and you can most certainly do it without giving the appearance of condoning slavery which, again, was a hideous institution. But as for references to that time in history, people need to just shut up, get over it and move on.
You are correct about the American civil war. Slavery was the PC spin put on the war. The causes of the civil war were the same reasons nearly every other war starts, money and power.

While I am not a big fan of southern culture the idea eliminating all elements of it to me is ridiculous. We don't learn by forgetting.

Shaman

Seemed kinda dumb to try to cover up the past and pretend it never happened...

I would understand and agree with this sentiment if we didn't learn about slavery and the civil war in history class.

You go to Disney to relax and vacation...not face the dark aspects of our history.

Just nitpicking here, perhaps, but I disagree with the whole notion of the South being "rebels". Obviously, I disagree with slavery, but IMO, and in the opinion of many historians and even Confederate Generals, the Civil War was not about slavery. Sure, that was one of the catalysts that brought it to a head, but the issue itself was not slavery. It was states' rights vs Federal Tyranny. And the South peacefully and democratically seceeded from the Union and Lincoln responded by waging war on them. Ironic, when you look at the reaction of the United States when something similar happened in the old USSR in the early 90's. Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia declared independence so the Kremlin rolled the tanks in. The elder Bush denounced that, yet the North did exactly the same thing to the South and we, a hundred fifty or so years later, look back and hail Lincoln as a hero for waging war on a people who democratically made a choice to peacefully leave the Union.

The southern states believed they had the right to have slaves. The federal government said no....

When someone is murdered and/or abused the victimizers must face justice...it doesn't matter if they are a person, group, state, or nation...no matter the justification or the notions and ideas they hide behind. Lincoln did not want war, he did not care for the slaves, but he was not going to let the nation fall apart and so by circumstance embraced the fight against slavery.

I wonder how Disney would treat this issue at Disney's America. :lookaroun

C&D

You go to Disney to relax and vacation...not face the dark aspects of our history.
You best stay out of "The American Adventure" and the "Hall of Presidents" then. I love both of these shows and welcome the chance to brush up on my history. I think the subjects are treated fairly (but they do tend to lean a little more heavily towards the subject of the Civil War times.)

Wilt Dasney

You best stay out of "The American Adventure" and the "Hall of Presidents" then. I love both of these shows and welcome the chance to brush up on my history. I think the subjects are treated fairly (but they do tend to lean a little more heavily towards the subject of the Civil War times.)
The problem with most Civil War discussion is people look at it as an all or nothing thing. If Lincoln was a great uniter and liberator, then the South was full of racist rebels. If the Confederates were noble men trying to preserve their way of life, then the Union was led by an overreaching tyrant. Very few people seem willing or able to look at the merits on both sides.

ToTBellHop

I thought PC too, especially given the companies track record on the subject. One thought - tax breaks, or similar. Would it be better for the company financially to have one single, extremely large resort rather than two separate large resorts?
I think you are right...certainly a big part was saving money. Note the wdwmagic posting when this happened:

23 July 2000: News from Port and Dixie Resort

Effective April 1, 2001, the resorts currently known as Disney's Dixie Landings resort and Disney's Port Orleans resort will be called Disney's Port Orleans Resort. The Dixie portion will be called "The Riverside" and the Port portion will be called "The French Quarter." This announcement comes with the explanation that the resorts are in such close proximity to one another that the unification will streamline the operation. Also with this announcement came the news that Bonfammile's, the Port full service restaurant, will close on August 5. Full service dining will now only be at Boatwright's, at Dixie. Other changes include the consolidation of the Port marina---it will close at the end of summer. Rumors have persisted that the Dixie name has angered many groups, this change is said to not reflect any of those concerns, but only to make the resort more efficient.

This was an excuse to remove one marina and close the old Bonfamille's Cafe. I have always been irritated with the PC madness. History is history. There are some decisions being made right now on the world stage that people might think of as mistakes in 100 years, but that isn't an excuse to pretend they never happened. I say the decision to change the name of Dixie Landings was for political correctness, but the decision to call it Port Orleans--Riverside was to save money. They coulda thought of a much better name...I woulda gone with a Disneyland throwback, myself: Disney's Blue Bayou Resort.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The problem with most Civil War discussion is people look at it as an all or nothing thing. If Lincoln was a great uniter and liberator, then the South was full of racist rebels. If the Confederates were noble men trying to preserve their way of life, then the Union was led by an overreaching tyrant. Very few people seem willing or able to look at the merits on both sides.
As in most cases history is written by the victor.

Eyorefan

I don't know for sure, but my theory is that it might have had something to do with the whole "Dixie" being tied to the Song of the South movies.

Brer Bear, Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit were sort of the mascots of the hotel (I know because I've seen people bring the old Dixie Landings cups to the Port Orleans restaurant to be refilled.)

So Disney probably wanted to do away with that whole angle, even though I don't think they really changed any of the architecture (both Magnolia Bend and Alligator Bayou). :)

Okay, I don't care about the name so much as the whole thing. As a person who was born and raised and still lives in the South, I can see how having a place called "Dixie" that is built like old plantations where you're "mascots" are characters from stories that were originally mad up and passed down by slaves could be a problem for a lot of people.

I am all for remembering our history. It's one thing to talk about or learn from the bad things our country has done in the past, it's another to make it a part of a theme park. IMHO.

PKD

23 July 2000: News from Port and Dixie Resort

Effective April 1, 2001, the resorts currently known as Disney's Dixie Landings resort and Disney's Port Orleans resort will be called Disney's Port Orleans Resort. The Dixie portion will be called "The Riverside" and the Port portion will be called "The French Quarter." This announcement comes with the explanation that the resorts are in such close proximity to one another that the unification will streamline the operation. Also with this announcement came the news that Bonfammile's, the Port full service restaurant, will close on August 5. Full service dining will now only be at Boatwright's, at Dixie. Other changes include the consolidation of the Port marina---it will close at the end of summer. Rumors have persisted that the Dixie name has angered many groups, this change is said to not reflect any of those concerns, but only to make the resort more efficient.

Keep in mind they were also doing this "combo of resorts" to the Yacht Club and the Beach Club. They were run as two different resorts, but they wanted to cut back managment and other services by placing Yacht & Beach Club together, as well as Dixie & Port Orleans. I'm not sure if the "PC" thing really had anything to do with it. I'd bet it was more money saving reasons and the PC thing was just an added bonus that might not have been planned

Horizons1

I would understand and agree with this sentiment if we didn't learn about slavery and the civil war in history class.

Yeah but history is something that should be present outside of a history class. History has its dark moments, so what? Are you saying that we should never acknowledge history outside of a school or college just because of that? And for the darker moments, where in Dixie Landings were these darker moments represented? I dont recall walking down a path seeing AA or live action slaves picking cotton or getting whipped. I dont recall anything at Dixie Landings that would be offensive to anyone unless they just wanna make a fuss.

PKD

Yeah but history is something that should be present outside of a history class. History has its dark moments, so what? Are you saying that we should never acknowledge history outside of a school or college just because of that? And for the darker moments, where in Dixie Landings were these darker moments represented? I dont recall walking down a path seeing AA or live action slaves picking cotton or getting whipped. I dont recall anything at Dixie Landings that would be offensive to anyone unless they just wanna make a fuss.

Can you imagine if Disney's America was built and opened back in 1998? They would have to close the entire park to be "PC". I guess it's good Haymarket stopped them from building the park........... O wait :lookaroun

I, growing up in that area, think it would have been a good choice to be built.

Wilt Dasney

Like somebody pointed out earlier, this was mostly a cosmetic change. The name changed and the SotS characters were kicked out, but the architecture...which is what really defines the theming of the place, no?...remained the same.

In other words, getting up in arms over PC run amuck might be misplaced in this case. If Disney was really pandering here, don't you think they'd have shut down the resort completely instead of nixing Dixie and hoping nobody noticed that it's still the same place?

mrtoad

It really is still two resorts, not one big one. They each have their own main lobby and are really considered sister resorts.

About the name change, I wish they had not because I like the old name. I don't think much of the theming changed at all though, just the name. As for the issue with it invoking thoughts of slavery, for me that never crossed my mind. I could be wrong because I don't know much about the industry but I am assuming cotton is still grown down south so that does not mean that it is tied to slavery.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It really is still two resorts, not one big one. They each have their own main lobby and are really considered sister resorts..
Indeed. But on paper, does the bottom line relate to a single "Umbrella" resort company (Port Orleans)? Would this influence the money/legal/tax side of things?

(I have no idea - just a thought)

wedway71

This is very true.The Civil War was NOT about Slavery. Slavery was one of many many reasons.Movies portay the Confederates out to be ignorant racists and the Union as Freedom Fighters which basically makes for a Bad guy verses Good guy story line. Some facts about the Civil War......

a-most of the men fighting on the southern side were too poor to buy a pair of shoes let alone afford or have slaves.

b-there was just PLENTY of racism among the Unions troops.A lot of times any of the Union black troops didnt even get supplies needed to be a basic soldier including Rifles and shoes.
c-alot of Union Troops refused to fight alongside of black Regiments because they felt they were "INFERIOR".

Yes Lincoln did free the slaves and that was a great thing.I think slavery was WRONG 1000%.Yes SOME people in the South had slaves.
But if you can go back in time to 1864 and ask a DEAD Union or Confederate soldier if they just fought and died for the issue of Slavery-thed both say NO.

Horizons1

Like somebody pointed out earlier, this was mostly a cosmetic change. The name changed and the SotS characters were kicked out, but the architecture...which is what really defines the theming of the place, no?...remained the same.

In other words, getting up in arms over PC run amuck might be misplaced in this case. If Disney was really pandering here, don't you think they'd have shut down the resort completely instead of nixing Dixie and hoping nobody noticed that it's still the same place?

No because IMO most that complain about being offended dont really know too much about the South around that time frame. They dont really know about the architecture and homes and various other things. They just know words like Dixie reference to the ol' South, so Disney could get away with changing the name and nothing else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom