Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

DCLcruiser

Super cheap...

Which makes no sense if you know the rat.

My spidersense is tingling...or I have gas...one of the other 😉
Well, the library is small for NEW content. I am sure a lot of parents already own the vault movies on DVD/VHS or purchased via AppleTV, etc. I think $6.99 is ok, and my $3.xx is even better haha. I am investing for the future content potential.

Apple TV Plus announced today that some shows will start streaming November 1st, and cost is $4.99 a month. So they are clearly going at it with Disney in this market.

Also if you buy a new iPad or Mac you get a year free I think they said.
Agreed. They don't have a large content library so it needs to be compelling to be a pioneer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn’t believe it a year ago...but analysts were saying they thought Apple and Disney were gonna have a hard time with Netflix...

I think they’re right. Don’t doubt Netflix.

How long till Comcast buys them? Put money on it

mikejs78

Premium Member
I didn’t believe it a year ago...but analysts were saying they thought Apple and Disney were gonna have a hard time with Netflix...

I think they’re right. Don’t doubt Netflix.

How long till Comcast buys them? Put money on it
I see Netflix as having peaked at the moment. I actually think they may see a dip with D+. Netflix does have a content problem. They are more concerned with volume of content than quality. Currently, they have a cancellation problem - many of their originals are serialized stories, but they cancel them after 2-3 seasons, leaving the story unresolved. So it makes it hard to invest in a show that will likely never finish. Happens once or twice, you deal. But as it starts to happen more and more, it gets really annoying. AS far as Comcast buying them, unless Netflix loses market cap, it's not going to happen. Comcast is pretty debt-heavy and doesn't have the resources to buy out Netflix.

D+ has a very interesting slate of new shows - the Marvel content, the Star Wars content, stuff for the kids (my son is interested in Mosters at Work)... It also has the whole back catalog of Disney movies. Now, we own a bunch on blu-ray/DVD, but maybe about a third. There's all the deep cuts that we don't own that will now be available to us - and that's interesting to us.

Apple TV+ has a problem, in my view. They have no back catalog. To be a successful streaming service, you need a) compelling original programming that people want to watch, and b) a significant back catalog of movies. Otherwise, it feels like you are paying for little. Apple TV+ is launching with too little content. It needs to make some distribution deals to get other shows/movies from other providers to fill out its catalog. Keep in mind that the most popular content on Netflix is The Office and Friends.

My wife and I were discussing our streaming services the other day. We are cord cutters, don't have cable TV. Currently we have:

Netfix
Amazon Prime (because of our Prime subscription, not because we subscribed for the video)
Hulu
CBS All Access (for Star Trek)
YouTube TV (local channels, cabl;e channels, etc.)

We signed up for the D23 Bun\dle, as there's a lot of shows that are interesting to us, and the back catlog of Disney films/TV also interests us. (Classic DuckTails? Yes please).

Once November comes, we are likely to drop Netflix because of the aformentioned cancellation problem, and there's not a lot of cntent that interests us ATM. We've watched most of the shows there we care about, a bunch of others we started watching were cancelled, and the Disney/Marvel content that we used it for is no longer a thing.

We also will likely cancel YouTube TV. While we use it occasionally, we generally use our streaming services a lot more. Right now, the biggest use for us of YouTube TV is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for our 2 year old. So Disney+ removes that carrot.

So not counting Prime (because we likely wouldn't have it if not for free shipping), we'll end up with

Disney+
Hulu (no commercials)
CBS All Access (no commercials)

So for streaming, we'll be paying $25/month, for pretty much all the content we need. If something comes out for Netflix that we want to watch, we may subscribe for a month or two, then cancel. Same goes for any other streaming service. And we'll probably reevaluate regularly based on our current viewing habits.

DCLcruiser

@mikejs78

We had YouTubeTV and switched to Hulu with Live TV. Since you already have Hulu you should consider it. Hulu with Live TV is $44 per month and includes Hulu content. You gain HGTV, History and others that YouTube doesn't have.

Might be cheaper than YouTube+Hulu.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'll put in a plug for YouTube Premium. I watch *a lot* of YouTube channels and not having commercials is so good. You also get with that their music subscription, which is their version of Spotify.

gjkooijman

I've just gotten access to Disney+ as they've launched a free trial until November 12th in the Netherlands (as expected to beta test the service on a large scale). It's so awesome!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 03.31.33.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 03.31.33.png
    763.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 03.13.57.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 03.13.57.png
    486.8 KB · Views: 117

gjkooijman

How much content are you seeing? As compared to other services?
It's a lot of back catalog for now as the new shows won't premiere until November 12th. But it's a LOT. Some stuff is still missing (for example The Emperor's New Groove), but there's a wealth of Disney Channel stuff, some Marvel 90s animation (Spider-Man and X-Men), all the Star Wars content and some great surprises like The Pixar Story documentary.

tcool123

It's a lot of back catalog for now as the new shows won't premiere until November 12th. But it's a LOT. Some stuff is still missing (for example The Emperor's New Groove), but there's a wealth of Disney Channel stuff, some Marvel 90s animation (Spider-Man and X-Men), all the Star Wars content and some great surprises like The Pixar Story documentary.
Out of curiosity how about some of their older more obscure films? Such as Blackbeard’s Ghost, Victory through Air Power, The Reluctant Dragon, That Darn Cat, etc

gjkooijman

Im assuming The Mandalorian isn't ready yet?
None of the new Disney + content is on there yet, as it'll premiere on November 12th. This is a large scale trial for the Netherlands for them to test the service. It's for free until November 11th and offers some great back catalog stuff. Quite smart of them as they've recently pulled a lot from Netflix here so to offer Frozen (one of the most requested titles by parents/kids) for free for 8 weeks is a big pull.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

90s X-Men? Awww yeah!

What about stuff like old Touchstone movies like Gone in 60 seconds? And some older movies like Homeward Bound?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom