Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Tony Perkis

I was agreeing with Disney that removing some may make sense but with you that removing all of the was a mistake. Maybe if I had had more sleep I would have been more clear. I thought it was fairly obvious since my first sentence said I agreed with you in the first sentence.

Your viewpoint is conflicting. You agree with me, but also agree with Disney using a vague caveat of “it may make sense to remove some”.

If a film was previously available for singular event licensing to theatres, what specific circumstance makes sense for Disney to revoke it? Monetarily? Morally?

The ability to watch Nakatomi Tower blow up on Christmas Eve has no bearing on whether someone will purchase Hulu or Disney+.

This is pure greed on Disney’s part, and it further hurts the long term viability of the theatre experience.

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

I wish they would announce the price of adding Disney+ to 'Hulu with Live TV.'

I am ready to order the D23 discounted version, but I'd like to know if there's a better deal as a current member of Hw/LTV.

seascape

Your viewpoint is conflicting. You agree with me, but also agree with Disney using a vague caveat of “it may make sense to remove some”.

If a film was previously available for singular event licensing to theatres, what specific circumstance makes sense for Disney to revoke it? Monetarily? Morally?

The ability to watch Nakatomi Tower blow up on Christmas Eve has no bearing on whether someone will purchase Hulu or Disney+.

This is pure greed on Disney’s part, and it further hurts the long term viability of the theatre experience.
We agree much more than you think. I believe every decision should be decided individually, movie by movie and the time of year. I would like Disney to maximize its profits. That means that any movie should be made available depending on the time of year and the size and type of market it will attrack in the theaters. The Rocky Horror Picture Show at a midnight showing attracks a younger audience and not one that would watch it on TV. I can understand having showings of Home Alone at Christmas. I am sure there are other movies in the Fox Library that work for Saturday night midnight shows. When I was in College we would split between Rocky Horror and anothe midnight movie. Honestly, I don't remember the names of the other movies other than Flash Gordon was one of the many. Disney should not abandon that market. That said I am not sure I would allow any movie to be shown at anytime. As for Die Hard, I agree with you, but it has to be a movie by movie decision.

Tony Perkis

We agree much more than you think. I believe every decision should be decided individually, movie by movie and the time of year. I would like Disney to maximize its profits. That means that any movie should be made available depending on the time of year and the size and type of market it will attrack in the theaters. The Rocky Horror Picture Show at a midnight showing attracks a younger audience and not one that would watch it on TV. I can understand having showings of Home Alone at Christmas. I am sure there are other movies in the Fox Library that work for Saturday night midnight shows. When I was in College we would split between Rocky Horror and anothe midnight movie. Honestly, I don't remember the names of the other movies other than Flash Gordon was one of the many. Disney should not abandon that market. That said I am not sure I would allow any movie to be shown at anytime. As for Die Hard, I agree with you, but it has to be a movie by movie decision.
Demand for these showings is largely based on the theatres themselves, and that’s who should be making the calls, not Disney.

For example, there are several Alamo Drafthouse cinema complexes here in the DFW metroplex. Roughly half are in suburbia, the other half closer to their respective downtowns. In the surburban locations, Home Alone and Elf plays much better due to it being a more family friendly area. In downtown, Gremlins, Clue, and Die Hard play better.

The consideration shouldn’t be up to Disney regarding which films are in play and which aren’t.

They aren’t appropriately equipped to make those decisions on a micro level, only a macro, so they should not be the arbitrators about which films should play when and where.

Make the films available for licensing for singular events, and leave the rest up to the local branches.

This is all moot, though, because corporate greed by Disney is getting in the way of this. They’re quickly becoming a cancer to the theatre experience, and should be called out on this.

Rocky Horror is the rare exception, not because it plays well everywhere and every time (it does, and the more profane the audience, the better), but because Fox technically never pulled that film from theatres. It is technically still in its original theatrical run.

That technicality is why that film is exempt, though you would think even the dolts who made this blanket rejection of film licensing would be smart enough to exclude it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Demand for these showings is largely based on the theatres themselves, and that’s who should be making the calls, not Disney.

For example, there are several Alamo Drafthouse cinema complexes here in the DFW metroplex. Roughly half are in suburbia, the other half closer to their respective downtowns. In the surburban locations, Home Alone and Elf plays much better due to it being a more family friendly area. In downtown, Gremlins, Clue, and Die Hard play better.

The consideration shouldn’t be up to Disney regarding which films are in play and which aren’t.

They aren’t appropriately equipped to make those decisions on a micro level, only a macro, so they should not be the arbitrators about which films should play when and where.

Make the films available for licensing for singular events, and leave the rest up to the local branches.

This is all moot, though, because corporate greed by Disney is getting in the way of this. They’re quickly becoming a cancer to the theatre experience, and should be called out on this.

Rocky Horror is the rare exception, not because it plays well everywhere and every time (it does, and the more profane the audience, the better), but because Fox technically never pulled that film from theatres. It is technically still in its original theatrical run.

That technicality is why that film is exempt, though you would think even the dolts who made this blanket rejection of film licensing would be smart enough to exclude it.
I have an honest question, isn't this Disney just extending its existing corporate policy to include the Fox library? I'm not taking sides here, just asking if its a long standing corporate policy why should Fox be excluded?

Disney Analyst

Tony Perkis

I have an honest question, isn't this Disney just extending its existing corporate policy to include the Fox library? I'm not taking sides here, just asking if its a long standing corporate policy why should Fox be excluded?
It basically is the same. They’re extending their current policy. It’s a bad policy though, and Disney was able to largely get away with it because their Walt Disney Pictures banner films don't lend themselves wonderfully to adult specialty showings.

With Fox, it’s different, because a good number of their films are prime material for these showings, and they offer a nice change of pace compared to today’s current releases.

This policy won’t affect the mega theatre chains like AMC and Cinemark, as the very seldom have these showings, but this will highly impact smaller boutique theatres that have a very specific niche audience or are attempting to expand with unique product offerings, like the Angelika and Drafthouse theatres.

This does nothing but hurt the market, and it’s a big deal expanding this policy to Fox films because we now have yet another large segment of classic films that are being held hostage by Disney.

Oh, you want Die Hard for this one night in select venues? Well you need to guarantee us a minimum of 7 screens for Pete’s Dragon (for example), and those deals will cripple the boutique theatre market.

I’m not exaggerating, by the way. That’s actually how Disney negotiates distributions with chains.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s a bad policy though, and Fisney was able to largely get away with it because their Walt Disney Pictures banner films don't lend themselves wonderfully to adult specialty showings.

I only disagree with this part. Because how many times have we asked if a specific film or show is going to be available on Disney+. That indicates that there is a market for it. So they would lend themselves to being available in specialty showings at smaller theaters.

As for the rest I can see your point. I guess to me it doesn't make a big difference as I'm not near one of those location that has the specialty showings of Fox properties. I live in a metro area with large chains, not small boutique theaters.

Tony Perkis

I only disagree with this part. Because how many times have we asked if a specific film or show is going to be available on Disney+. That indicates that there is a market for it. So they would lend themselves to being available in specialty showings at smaller theaters.

Disney films don’t really have a point in theatres, as specialty screenings are kinda of wasted on a lot of popular Disney films that are widely available.

Now, some of their lesser successful stuff or forgotten live actions? Absolutely. Both Tron films, the Rocketeer, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, films that have a large adult audience would absolutely work in a specialty screenings scenario. Disney animated films, not so much. Family films tend not to do well unless in a summer morning babysitting showing, like many theatres do with the Dreamworks films.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney films don’t really have a point in theatres, as specialty screenings are kinda of wasted on a lot of popular Disney films that are widely available.

Now, some of their lesser successful stuff or forgotten live actions? Absolutely. Both Tron films, the Rocketeer, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, films that have a large adult audience would absolutely work in a specialty screenings scenario. Disney animated films, not so much. Family films tend not to do well unless in a summer morning babysitting showing, like many theatres do with the Dreamworks films.
I'm not sure why you believe its only adult films that would work. Families would love to go to the theater and watch older family films, especially on a budget. Just because you don't want to do that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

Back when I was a kid, many decades ago, one the local theaters (now closed) was a budget theater. It would play films for $1 a ticket. During the summer they used to have matinees (not morning, mid-afternoon) of old family films with old cartoons playing in front. You could spend all afternoon and into the evening there for just a $1. Same thing with the local drive-ins, they used to have kid movie night where they played old family films and old cartoons. I fact I think my local drive-ins still does that, now year round.

It could work with their lesser known films, like you suggested. But also stuff from the vaults that have been locked up for decades.

Anyways, its moot now. But I think it would work.

seascape

You are right about the Disney films. They are aimed at families and with the exception of the few you mentioned, I can't think of any that would play to a small specialized audience. Fox does have some and you are right they should be shown. Again, we agree but I would not agree that every film should be made available. It should be done on a case by case basis.

Tony Perkis

You are right about the Disney films. They are aimed at families and with the exception of the few you mentioned, I can't think of any that would play to a small specialized audience. Fox does have some and you are right they should be shown. Again, we agree but I would not agree that every film should be made available. It should be done on a case by case basis.
And my point is every film should be available, with proper licensing terms decided on a case-by-by basis.

If a studio is willing to sell a license of a film to consumers (and yes, the home video model is a licensing deal; we don’t “own” those films), they should open the licensing distribution path to theatres and let them decide what’s worth playing based on their demographics.

I don’t think a studio should arbitrarily prohibit some films, unless they’re planning their own rerelease, most recently what WB did with Blade Runner and what Sony is doing with Ghostbusters.

Tony Perkis

I'm not sure why you believe its only adult films that would work. Families would love to go to the theater and watch older family films, especially on a budget. Just because you don't want to do that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

Back when I was a kid, many decades ago, one the local theaters (now closed) was a budget theater. It would play films for $1 a ticket. During the summer they used to have matinees (not morning, mid-afternoon) of old family films with old cartoons playing in front. You could spend all afternoon and into the evening there for just a $1. Same thing with the local drive-ins, they used to have kid movie night where they played old family films and old cartoons. I fact I think my local drive-ins still does that, now year round.

It could work with their lesser known films, like you suggested. But also stuff from the vaults that have been locked up for decades.

Anyways, its moot now. But I think it would work.
I didn’t say only adult films work for specialty screenings, but there is a very specific style of family film that works for these scenarios.

Family films that play wonderfully in these cases:

-The Goonies
-Galaxy Quest
-ET
-The Princess Bride
-The Iron Giant (I include this one, which breaks the main point of my theory, because it bombed in theatres but has a huge cult following)
-Willy Wonka
-The Wizard of Oz
-The Sound of Music
-Clue

A lot of these films play very heavily into nostalgia and invoke a bit of a party atmosphere. Everyone, or the vast majority, of the people in these theatres have seen the film and just want to be in a communal atmosphere to people that love the same thing you love.

Disney films, with maybe a few exceptions like the 90’s live action films and some legitimate older masterpieces like Mary Poppins, don’t really play the same way.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I didn’t say only adult films work for specialty screenings, but there is a very specific style of family film that works for these scenarios.

Family films that play wonderfully in these cases:

-The Goonies
-Galaxy Quest
-ET
-The Princess Bride
-The Iron Giant (I include this one, which breaks the main point of my theory, because it bombed in theatres but has a huge cult following)
-Willy Wonka
-The Wizard of Oz
-The Sound of Music
-Clue

A lot of these films play very heavily into nostalgia and invoke a bit of a party atmosphere. Everyone, or the vast majority, of the people in these theatres have seen the film and just want to be in a communal atmosphere to people that love the same thing you love.

Disney films, with maybe a few exceptions like the 90’s live action films and some legitimate older masterpieces like Mary Poppins, don’t really play the same way.
Well I disagree, but its a moot point to argue about since it'll never happen anyways.

DCLcruiser

Well, we have joined the Founders Circle and bought the 3-year D23 package. They better not offer a cheaper option for Hulu w/ Live TV subscribers or else I'll be cranky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom