Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Damn this service is gonna crush Netflix. The fact that it has extras is a huge bonus. Also at one point I thought I saw a Spider-Man animated tv show there. But it moved past too quickly to confirm.

I’m curious as to why you think it’s gonna “crush” Netflix? Maybe in the long haul...but it would take time

cosmicgirl

Initial observations:
- you can customize the look and size of subtitles;
- you cannot adjust the playback speed (dealbreaker for me);
- the app allows you to download content for offline viewing: the lower the quality, the more you can save;
- unfortunately, the app is only allowing downloads to the phone's internal memory, not an SD card.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Initial observations:
- you can customize the look and size of subtitles;
- you cannot adjust the playback speed (dealbreaker for me);
- the app allows you to download content for offline viewing: the lower the quality, the more you can save;
- unfortunately, the app is only allowing downloads to the phone's internal memory, not an SD card.
Can you elaborate on the one? We’re not talking about lack of dvr style control are we?

DCLcruiser

90s X-Men? Awww yeah!

What about stuff like old Touchstone movies like Gone in 60 seconds? And some older movies like Homeward Bound?
Both Homeward Bound movies are on there. No Gone in 60 Seconds sadly...
Weird about no Gone in 60 seconds, but good news for Homeward Bound. What about Fox movies and shows? Anything there? Avatar?
Gone in 60 seconds is too adult for D+. D+ is family friendly content.

The "good brakes" exchange alone is probably enough to ban it to Hulu.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Gone in 60 seconds is too adult for D+. D+ is family friendly content.

The "good brakes" exchange alone is probably enough to ban it to Hulu.
Wait a second...

“Too adult”?

They aren’t launching a streaming service for 8 year olds...there will be adult comment or its DOA.

You’re not serious, are you?

Ripken10

Is MisterPenguin going to make a list of all the shows and movies they had listed there by playing the youtube videos in slow motion till he gets them all?!? :) (i'm kidding...I think)

DCLcruiser

Wait a second...

“Too adult”?

They aren’t launching a streaming service for 8 year olds...there will be adult comment or its DOA.

You’re not serious, are you?
D+ is PG-13 and below. Yes, I realize that G60sec. is PG-13, but the content is mature compared to the vast majority of family/fantasy oriented shows that they intend to offer. I love G60sec as a car-guy, but I wouldn't show a lot of it to a kid.

Hulu is for mature content.

cosmicgirl

Can you elaborate on the one? We’re not talking about lack of dvr style control are we?
I mean adjusting the playback speed the way you can on YT, so 1.25-2 times as fast as normal. To my knowledge NF also doesn't have this option but there are Chrome extensions to fix that. I never watch anything at normal speed so not having that option is a dealbreaker for me.
I'm able to select my SD card on my Samsung S8+ ...
Weird! I can't do it on my Nokia.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
D+ is PG-13 and below. Yes, I realize that G60sec. is PG-13, but the content is mature compared to the vast majority of family/fantasy oriented shows that they intend to offer. I love G60sec as a car-guy, but I wouldn't show a lot of it to a kid.

Hulu is for mature content.
Well that is a silly idea...the price point is making more sense.

They sold the Disney channel to a limited audience for decades...then they had to bundle it...now people are cutting cable.

They best make ALOT of new content. I had no idea they were being so shortsighted with this. People will pay monthly take stream Snow White and Ironman 2?

No...gonna have to add a lot. And to be honest: Hulu stinks.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I mean adjusting the playback speed the way you can on YT, so 1.25-2 times as fast as normal. To my knowledge NF also doesn't have this option but there are Chrome extensions to fix that. I never watch anything at normal speed so not having that option is a dealbreaker for me.
I have to ask...Why would you ever watch a movie or a TV show at anything other than 1.0 speed?

A meandering instructional video...sure, but a movie? That would make me insane in minutes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Beat me to it
I am currently watching a Borderlands 3 playthrough and I turned up the speed to 2x.

This was me in about 10 seconds...

giphy-1.gif

cosmicgirl

I have to ask...Why would you ever watch a movie or a TV show at anything other than 1.0 speed?

A meandering instructional video...sure, but a movie? That would make me insane in minutes.
My brain just works that way. Even if I enjoy the movie or the TV show I get annoyed if it drags on too long/moves too slow. There are some exceptions with fast dialogues which I'll slow down to 1.5 or so (some Shonda Rhimes shows come to mind), and most animated movies or musical-type films which I'll watch at 1.0 but just about everything else goes to 2.0.

Indy_UK

Now I've seen the Netherlands version apparently has ALL the Marvel MCU films except the obvious (Hulk and Spider-Man Homecoming) and newer releases like Endgame and Captain Marvel I'm going to try and VPN this and see if I can get it working.

All the Star Wars films are there too. Rogue One and Last Jedi are in 4K too

Indy_UK

I've just gotten access to Disney+ as they've launched a free trial until November 12th in the Netherlands (as expected to beta test the service on a large scale). It's so awesome!
Can you set the language to English? Does it ask for anything like Bank details when you try and sign up?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom