Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it needs to as just a TV/ movie service, it’s just not going to turn the profits it wants
This was something that Disney discussed as a possibility last year sometime. So this isn't anything new, they're just finally appearing to execute on it.

I read this as they are looking for more potential ways to monetize the service, not that it can't be profitable just from streaming tv and movie content alone.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

The 2027 Super Bowl will be broadcast by ABC and ESPN, the first time the Disney-owned channels host the biggest game on the NFL calendar, and the most-watched TV event of the year.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

sedati

So in about a day we have Disney's answer to Harry Potter (Percy Jackson) vs Netflix's answer to Kathleen Kennedy... I mean Star Wars (Rebel Moon). Soon we'll know if either is a franchise with legs.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
So in about a day we have Disney's answer to Harry Potter (Percy Jackson) vs Netflix's answer to Kathleen Kennedy... I mean Star Wars (Rebel Moon). Soon we'll know if either is a franchise with legs.
1702992529432.png

1702992577675.png

1702992626853.png

Phroobar

I am looking forward to Rebel Moon even if it is just a remake of Battle Beyond the Stars. I'm not sure why it has to be two parts.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Wendy Pleakley

Rebel Moon is certainly Star Wars-ish. It's pretty much a mish mash of every sci-fi movie ever made.

I don't think it would have succeeded as a theatrical franchise.

However, as a Netflix movie with no lofty expectations I think it will be fairly well received, despite the critical reviews.

It has a decent story and characters, and solid production values. It's better than most Netflix original movies in my opinion.

Being released in parts is a non-issue. It has enough happening to stand on it's own while also laying the groundwork for part two. Did people want it to be five hours or something?

Sharon&Susan

The Criterion Channel is adding Disney branded titles for the first time in January (That Darn Cat and The Cat from Outer Space):

TalkingHead

The Criterion Channel is adding Disney branded titles for the first time in January (That Darn Cat and The Cat from Outer Space):
Guess this isn’t too shocking since Criterion has streamed older 20th Century Fox titles but still feels a little surprising. Bring on the Kurt Russell career retrospective, Criterion.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting, I know people crap all over the Motley Fool, but numbers are numbers.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2023/12/24/amazon-just-passed-walt-disney-on-an-important/

View attachment 760459

While Amazon neither confirms nor denies the numbers, a handful of estimates suggest there are on the order of 160 million Prime customers in the U.S. alone. Conversely, Walt Disney reports that there are only 46.5 million Disney+ subscribers, and only 43.9 million Hulu customers. Prime should be the more watched service of the three in question, if for no other reason than its greater reach.

Why the cherry-picking of only domestic numbers? D+ has 113M subscribers not counting India (which Disney calls "core"). And an extra 38M in India.

Core sub numbers have gone up every quarter for the past 3 years.

As for minutes watched... I wonder how Prime suddenly got a boost in October. Looking back at the top ten lists that Nielsen puts out, Prime only had one or two entries amongst the three top ten lists in October and November.

ABQ

While Amazon neither confirms nor denies the numbers, a handful of estimates suggest there are on the order of 160 million Prime customers in the U.S. alone. Conversely, Walt Disney reports that there are only 46.5 million Disney+ subscribers, and only 43.9 million Hulu customers. Prime should be the more watched service of the three in question, if for no other reason than its greater reach.

Why the cherry-picking of only domestic numbers? D+ has 113M subscribers not counting India (which Disney calls "core"). And an extra 38M in India.

Core sub numbers have gone up every quarter for the past 3 years.

As for minutes watched... I wonder how Prime suddenly got a boost in October. Looking back at the top ten lists that Nielsen puts out, Prime only had one or two entries amongst the three top ten lists in October and November.
Does Nielsen report international data? If not, that would give credence to only looking at domestic customers.

doctornick

Prime has a crapload of domestic (US) subscribers due to the delivery service, more than Disney or Hulu as was mentioned. Even though a lot of folks don't necessarily have Prime for the streaming, is it really a surprise that they have solid streaming numbers given the number of subscriptions? If anything isn't the higher streaming minutes per sub a positive indication for Disney's services?

Also, wasn't it Amazon that spent a couple billion on purchasing MGM to add their library to streaming? Seems like that along, plus whatever originals they are doing and the NFL suggest they care at least a little how well the service is doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom