Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wonder how Prime suddenly got a boost in October.

Prime has a crapload of domestic (US) subscribers due to the delivery service, more than Disney or Hulu as was mentioned. Even though a lot of folks don't necessarily have Prime for the streaming, is it really a surprise that they have solid streaming numbers given the number of subscriptions? If anything isn't the higher streaming minutes per sub a positive indication for Disney's services?

Also, wasn't it Amazon that spent a couple billion on purchasing MGM to add their library to streaming? Seems like that along, plus whatever originals they are doing and the NFL suggest they care at least a little how well the service is doing.
I would attribute the increase in September/October primarily due to Thursday Night football which (outside of local markets) is exclusively on Prime. And then a bit to the new infused catalog due to MGM.

We'll see if it drops post NFL season and then pop back up for the 2024 season.

ABQ

Be interesting to see if Amazon begins to carve out its subscribers and let the public know how many sign up for the new ad free tier after Jan 29 at an additional 2.99 per month.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Be interesting to see if Amazon begins to carve out its subscribers and let the public know how many sign up for the new ad free tier after Jan 29 at an additional 2.99 per month.
I would think there would be a natural increase, similar to what Netflix saw when they introduced their ad tiers and cracked down on password sharing.

Basically its just a three way competition to the top, Disney, Netflix, and Amazon. Everyone else is battling just to stay relevant. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the WBD/Paramount situation, though that is one huge pile of debt that I don't think anyone wants to touch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Does Nielsen report international data? If not, that would give credence to only looking at domestic customers.
The problem isn't Nielsen. It's Motley Fool making stock recommendations looking only at one slice of the streaming market.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Basically its just a three way competition to the top, Disney, Netflix, and Amazon. Everyone else is battling just to stay relevant.
Don't forget deep-pockets Apple+. They're buying up indie studios content, and sometimes the indie studio itself to boost content. And they can do that as a loss-leader for a long time. I'm surprised they haven't bought out Starz/Lionsgate.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don't forget deep-pockets Apple+. They're buying up indie studios content, and sometimes the indie studio itself to boost content. And they can do that as a loss-leader for a long time. I'm surprised they haven't bought out Starz/Lionsgate.
I still see Apple as a niche player right now, with its estimated 25M subs for Apple+. They need to find a way to motivate the 1B+ Apple users to sub and remain sub’d to Apple+ beyond the trial period before they are considered a major player.

But I wouldn’t put it past Cook and team to acquire a major/minor studio in the near future. In the other thread I mentioned looking for Lionsgate to get acquired in the next 5 years now that they are spun-off on their own, it could be an Apple target.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Phroobar

Now that Lucasfilm and Henson studios are all under Disney, you would think the copyright wouldn't matter anymore. It's all the house of mouse.

Wendy Pleakley

Now that Lucasfilm and Henson studios are all under Disney, you would think the copyright wouldn't matter anymore. It's all the house of mouse.

It's clear from the article.

Muppet Babies used film clips from a wide variety of sources. While they had permission at the time it would be very difficult to secure those rights today.

Phroobar

It's clear from the article.

Muppet Babies used film clips from a wide variety of sources. While they had permission at the time it would be very difficult to secure those rights today.

Your right. There is a lot of crazy stuff that show used. That is what made the show fun. Too bad it will never be released.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Before the cries of "Disney is desperate!" rage out in the middle of the night...

T-Mobile is adding the “Hulu on Us” perk on top of offering Netflix and Apple TV+ for no additional charge with Go5G Next. Plus, T-Mobile customers can get free season-long subscriptions to Major League Baseball’s MLB.TV every year. According to T-Mobile, with the addition of Hulu With Ads, the free streaming services included with Go5G Next total more than $35 per month, or over $400 per year. Go5G Next is priced starting at $100 monthly for a single line, going up to $225 monthly for four lines.
Other streamers are cross promoting, too. And this is the premium tier of T-Mobile. It costs extra... to pay T-Mobile to pay D+ to get subs on their ad-tier so that Disney can make more ad money.

ABQ

T-Mobile is adding the “Hulu on Us” perk on top of offering Netflix and Apple TV+ for no additional charge with Go5G Next. Plus, T-Mobile customers can get free season-long subscriptions to Major League Baseball’s MLB.TV every year. According to T-Mobile, with the addition of Hulu With Ads, the free streaming services included with Go5G Next total more than $35 per month, or over $400 per year. Go5G Next is priced starting at $100 monthly for a single line, going up to $225 monthly for four lines.
Other streamers are cross promoting, too. And this is the premium tier of T-Mobile. It costs extra... to pay T-Mobile to pay D+ to get subs on their ad-tier so that Disney can make more ad money.
Just got the text from T-Mobile about this. I'm most disappointed, but as expected, my Netflix On Us is going ad based in Feb :( Just to put it in line with the Hulu On Us. Guess I'll just rely more on my Lifetime Plex Pass and certain other sources for entertainment.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Spectrum TV select customers will have access to the ad-supported version of Disney+ starting Thursday.

The access comes as part of the landmark deal struck between Charter Communications and the Walt Disney Company in September. The deal followed a carriage dispute between the two companies that saw Disney channels, including ESPN, local ABC stations, FX and Disney Channel, blacked out for close to 15 million Spectrum subscribers for about a week starting Aug. 31.

In addition to the restoration of those channels, the deal granted Spectrum Select TV subscribers access to Disney+ at no additional cost and will see ESPN+ added to the video package for Spectrum TV Select Plus subscribers, the more sports-centric tier of the TV packages, at no additional cost. The access to ESPN+ will begin in the coming months, Charter said Thursday. "

More at the link below.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Around the world -- more or less depending on the country -- newer generations are skipping the desktop phase of technology and using mobile for everything, including watching video. And not just TikTok, but movies on phones, too.

So, it's not surprising to see streamers and phone companies bundling up.

ABQ

Around the world -- more or less depending on the country -- newer generations are skipping the desktop phase of technology and using mobile for everything, including watching video. And not just TikTok, but movies on phones, too.

Stop making me feel like an olde man! But it's true, was amongst a group of 20 somethings the other day, 8 of them, not a single one owns a laptop or desktop PC of any kind. All just smartphones and the like. The only thing I have in common with them is not owning a check book (not since BayBank ran ads with Bobby Orr pushing Homelink, those from New England will know)

Ripken10

I see this trend might be seeing a slight change with next generation but too early to tell. More and more school systems are giving kids iPods and similar items. The kids and schools are relying on these to do their work and I see a definite shift happening there that could see a difference as these kids get older. There are teachers seeing a shift. Whether it last time will only tell

DCBaker

Premium Member
Pixar is releasing a new hybrid stop-motion animation SparkShort called Self on February 2, 2024 on Disney+.

"Directed by Searit Huluf and produced by Eric Rosales, Self is a story of a wooden doll's journey of self-discovery as she strives to fit in and blend in with her peers."

Pixar shared this image today as a first look.

GDVgp9LbUAI-dyM.jpeg

DCBaker

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom