Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know if they still make them, but I have a Tivo with a DVR in it. I can schedule recordings of OTA broadcasts. Plus they have a guide that show's what will be on. I can schedule it to record the Simpsons on any channel, for example.
And pay a lot for the device and recurring fees. So not really much advantage vs iptv

Plus ota isn’t going 4k etc.

Hawkeye_2018

So, is it for real for real that Disney will stop making physical discs for movies?
No. In certain countries you will no longer be able to find them on store shelves. That could happen in US stores in the next couple years. But I imagine online disc sales for Disney films, at least major releases, will continue for some time

mysto

And pay a lot for the device and recurring fees. So not really much advantage vs iptv

Plus ota isn’t going 4k etc.

Actually I have no recurring fees. They had a deal where if you pay extra you get a lifetime subscription. Many years later I'm still using it and haven't paid a penny since I bought it. I replaced a cooling fan in it, a $10 part. If the hard drive goes in it I may well repair that too. :) Totally worth it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually I have no recurring fees. They had a deal where if you pay extra you get a lifetime subscription. Many years later I'm still using it and haven't paid a penny since I bought it. I replaced a cooling fan in it, a $10 part. If the hard drive goes in it I may well repair that too. :) Totally worth it.
Yes i am aware of ghe lifetime sub… which i think you paid a good like 200+ for? And many consumers today were watching barney when tivo sold that ;) but the deal was still a rider on too of the device itself so ghe fees comment isn’t off base. I think in recent years they had some promos pitching it againto try to become relevant again… but tivo’s tine is long gone. They are basically just an IP portfolio to keep trying to collect royalties and settlements with.

The service is especially dated compared to dvr services today that are free, and way more compatible, including intermixed with vod. Ota i can only get like 10 meaningful channels… and that still doesn’t address why people like me pay for live tv subs.

Unlike the recent retreat where everyone brought all their content to in-house dtc offers in exclusive services… expect more consolidation packaging in the future as brands and megacorps get back to bundling. Smaller channels and niches won’t survive on getting 5/mon from less consumers who only sub 2-4 months and then leave. They’d rather get less money from a larger customer base that is far more stable.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I really never want to hear again from anyone's hot take on streaming that doesn't acknowledge the pending death of the linear...

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
New to Hulu and Disney+ in December in this post and the following...

Hawkeye_2018

I'm guessing Kenobi and Andor get disc releases as well. But I don't see every SW and MCU show getting one. I guess it depends on how well these sell.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom