Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't know that answer. But I don't think many thought that cable would nosedive like 15 or 20 years ago either. You raise prices too much and people adapt and find their ways out (especially the younger generations who don't get enough pay to afford that). You are asking for $100 to get live TV and D+ and ESPN+ and cutting off their ability to share that cost, I think people will start adapting out of that as well.
You're talking about a small percentage of the overall number of subs that have Live TV + the bundle, and is not available outside the US.

The majority of the subs fall in the $8-$25 range.

Communicora

Premium Member
Anyone here have YouTube live Tv?
We don't have it right now (just don't feel the need to have live TV at the moment), but have had it in the past. It's a great service. I liked it a lot more than Sling. We haven't tried Hulu Live and probably won't because we were really unimpressed with Hulu's regular app.

LSLS

You're talking about a small percentage of the overall number of subs that have Live TV + the bundle, and is not available outside the US.

The majority of the subs fall in the $8-$25 range.
Fair, but I'm also assuming all other providers will follow suit (which will drive more to look at alternatives). And even at the other price range, things are starting to add up pretty quickly. I don't know, the NHL has been driving me away anyways, so maybe I'm looking for a reason to say enough is enough with a lot of this anyways, but these are pretty large increases just cause (i.e. not because new things are coming). My assumption in my statement also revolves around the idea that we aren't going to hit these prices and then they are going to stop raising them (and that's not Disney specific either), but that next year you will see another $2-$5 increase. etc. I'm not sure what that price is, or what the change would be, but it's a delicate line they are going to have to walk, especially when the price raises are pretty substantial.

Phroobar

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Fair, but I'm also assuming all other providers will follow suit (which will drive more to look at alternatives). And even at the other price range, things are starting to add up pretty quickly. I don't know, the NHL has been driving me away anyways, so maybe I'm looking for a reason to say enough is enough with a lot of this anyways, but these are pretty large increases just cause (i.e. not because new things are coming). My assumption in my statement also revolves around the idea that we aren't going to hit these prices and then they are going to stop raising them (and that's not Disney specific either), but that next year you will see another $2-$5 increase. etc. I'm not sure what that price is, or what the change would be, but it's a delicate line they are going to have to walk, especially when the price raises are pretty substantial.
Remember with the combined app coming at the end of the year its going to give more reason to have both D+ and Hulu. And in a year or so I see them dropping the whole "trio" bundle and just having a single offering D+/Hulu with tiers just like outside the US and then ESPN+ as a standalone offering, keeping the "duo bundle of D+/Hulu and ESPN+.

Eventually I see the whole Live TV option going away anyways, but that is further down the line.

Vegas Disney Fan

Can you watch football games with a Tablo?
This is the biggest problem with both cable and streaming right now, it used to be I could watch nearly every game I wanted with a simple cable subscription, now you need cable, all the specialty networks (SEC network, Big10 network, etc), prime streaming for some games, appleTV for some games, etc, etc ,etc.

Theres so many exclusivity agreements it’s nearly impossible to have access to everything unless you have every cable add on and every streaming service, or you simply Google search it and watch a free pirated feed, it’s wrong but it’s become the easiest solution.

Phroobar

Maybe Disney will let us play poker in the Golden Horseshoe? Maybe some nice riverboat gambling? The Galaxy's Edge cantina can have pod racing betting. If you can't pay up, you get a special meet n greet with Jabba the Hutt. It is immersive and magical!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Anything you can get on antenna.

Antenna is only local content… no dvr… no ondemand… and depending on where you live your options are limited. Additionally, a roku stick installs way cleaner than a hdtv antenna in most tv setups :)

mysto

Antenna is only local content… no dvr… no ondemand… and depending on where you live your options are limited. Additionally, a roku stick installs way cleaner than a hdtv antenna in most tv setups :)

I don't know if they still make them, but I have a Tivo with a DVR in it. I can schedule recordings of OTA broadcasts. Plus they have a guide that show's what will be on. I can schedule it to record the Simpsons on any channel, for example.

Phroobar

I don't know if they still make them, but I have a Tivo with a DVR in it. I can schedule recordings of OTA broadcasts. Plus they have a guide that show's what will be on. I can schedule it to record the Simpsons on any channel, for example.
That is where the tablo comes in. You can plug any usb hard drive into it for DVR. Then you use the app on Roku to schedule and watch the antenna or recorded programs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom