Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

sedati

If you have (literally minutes) I really enjoyed the new "How (Not) to Draw" shorts. They're a great throwback and very creative. I don't know who picks the order of these things, but the first one was probably my least favorite.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Details on upcoming price increases.

As of Oct. 12, Disney+ Premium (with no ads) will jump 27%, rising from $10.99 to $13.99/month for U.S. customers. Hulu without ads will increase 20%, from $14.99 to $17.99/month. The price for Disney+ and Hulu standalone ad-supported tiers will remain at $7.99/month each, and with the bundle still $9.99/month.

In addition, the monthly price of the two Hulu + Live TV packages will each go up by $7 as of Oct. 12 (the plan with ads increases to $76.99; the tier with no ads on VOD rises to $89.99). And ESPN+ pricing will increase by one dollar, from $9.99 to $10.99/month.

Internationally, the company is set to expand Disney+ ad-supported plans to Canada, the U.K. and eight other European countries beginning Nov. 1. The monthly pricing will be $7.99 in Canada, £4.99 in the U.K. and €5.99 in the European markets (France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Norway, Sweden and Denmark). According to Disney, in December 2023, it will increase subscription prices of Disney+ without ads in those markets.

Disney on Sept. 6 will launch a new ad-free bundled subscription plan with Disney+ and Hulu for $19.99/month, a 37% discount from the standalone plans.

Here's a table for all options.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 4.47.14 PM.png

Jambo Dad

Details on upcoming price increases.

As of Oct. 12, Disney+ Premium (with no ads) will jump 27%, rising from $10.99 to $13.99/month for U.S. customers. Hulu without ads will increase 20%, from $14.99 to $17.99/month. The price for Disney+ and Hulu standalone ad-supported tiers will remain at $7.99/month each, and with the bundle still $9.99/month.

In addition, the monthly price of the two Hulu + Live TV packages will each go up by $7 as of Oct. 12 (the plan with ads increases to $76.99; the tier with no ads on VOD rises to $89.99). And ESPN+ pricing will increase by one dollar, from $9.99 to $10.99/month.

Internationally, the company is set to expand Disney+ ad-supported plans to Canada, the U.K. and eight other European countries beginning Nov. 1. The monthly pricing will be $7.99 in Canada, £4.99 in the U.K. and €5.99 in the European markets (France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Norway, Sweden and Denmark). According to Disney, in December 2023, it will increase subscription prices of Disney+ without ads in those markets.

Disney on Sept. 6 will launch a new ad-free bundled subscription plan with Disney+ and Hulu for $19.99/month, a 37% discount from the standalone plans.

Here's a table for all options.

View attachment 736552

This exhibit gives me flashbacks to trying to figure out genie, genie plus and lightning lane.

wtyy21

In additional remarks after Q3 Earnings, Disney CEO Bob Iger say that they exploring to ways to prevent password-sharing. If they could, they would announce the measure at the end of this year and will be implemented from 2024, following Netflix steps.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In additional remarks after Q3 Earnings, Disney CEO Bob Iger say that they exploring to ways to prevent password-sharing. If they could, they would announce the measure at the end of this year and will be implemented from 2024, following Netflix steps.
But..But..But we've been told by some here this wouldn't happen.....That Netflix wasn't successful in doing it, and that it would lead to the downfall of streaming because subs have many options and they'll just switch.....

Expect more services to do this as time goes on, and yes that includes even the FAST services.

BTW, called it back in Feb....

I agree. I’ve long said this was coming as streamers trying to find more ways to increase subs and make the services profitable.

Once that switch is flipped at Netflix others like Disney will follow suit not long after.

TP2000

I was going to skip this until I found out that Joann Whorley is the voice of The Wardrobe.

No kidding.

But a minor point of correction please, as it's Jo Ann Worley, not "Joann Whorley". And she's a national treasure, since even before she'd pop out of the Laugh-In joke wall.

I'm absolutely thrilled she's not only still with us, but is still working. And on a Disney product, no less. Again, she's a national treasure who deserves respect. Jo Ann Worley.

Here she is 45 years ago, doing, you know, a Roller Disco cameo on an episode of CHiPs with her old Laugh-In costar Ruth Buzzi. Because in 1979 this made total and complete sense to network audiences on a Saturday night in the late Carter era. Times were rather dark then.

And yes, my Lesbian Allyship kicked into high gear when Nancy Kulp showed up randomly trying to get a phone number from Mellissa Sue Anderson, then later from Cindy Williams. (Seriously, I've watched this clip three times now, and Nancy totally gets shot down by Melissa on national television, then rebounds to Cindy like a true champion must do to stay in the game. Don't give up, Miss Hathaway.)

But Jo Ann Worley? She's a national treasure and I won't brook any disrespect for her.

Last edited:

tanc

Iger has never been the good guy. They want you to pay for ads so they get even more. Paying almost double the price for ads is just ridiculous. Also the draconian crackdown on account sharing is going to be a huge fiasco. I share an account with my whole family, going to be really stupid I can't do that soon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Iger has never been the good guy. They want you to pay for ads so they get even more. Paying almost double the price for ads is just ridiculous. Also the draconian crackdown on account sharing is going to be a huge fiasco. I share an account with my whole family, going to be really stupid I can't do that soon.
Hadn't really hurt Netflix when they did it.

Just means you'll have to get your own account if you don't live in the same location as the rest of your family. Maybe you guys can split the cost of the multiple accounts.

LSLS

I have a suspicion what Netflix and Disney are doing could lead to the downfall of streaming (or at least the model they are trying to promote). The downfall of cable really started when they thought they could just raise the prices too astronomically, so younger generations started finding ways around it. Hulu live going to that insane price, and even D+ upping so dramatically, I'm not going to be shocked when people start finding new ways around it, and then that starts taking off.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have a suspicion what Netflix and Disney are doing could lead to the downfall of streaming (or at least the model they are trying to promote). The downfall of cable really started when they thought they could just raise the prices too astronomically, so younger generations started finding ways around it. Hulu live going to that insane price, and even D+ upping so dramatically, I'm not going to be shocked when people start finding new ways around it, and then that starts taking off.
So....

If cable has its downfall, and streaming has its downfall.... what's on the TV in my living room?

tanc

$14 a month is insane for how hit or miss the content has been. I really hope enough people vote with their wallet.

There's always the option with ads, but it's not like Disney is offering an annual ad deal like peacock.

LSLS

So....

If cable has its downfall, and streaming has its downfall.... what's on the TV in my living room?
I don't know that answer. But I don't think many thought that cable would nosedive like 15 or 20 years ago either. You raise prices too much and people adapt and find their ways out (especially the younger generations who don't get enough pay to afford that). You are asking for $100 to get live TV and D+ and ESPN+ and cutting off their ability to share that cost, I think people will start adapting out of that as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom