Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Weather it's original content or a remake the common factor is a lack of talent from the studio.
You make it sound like all of Disney's studios are putting out nothing but stinkers.

But the ratings from critics and audience shows that all the studios do indeed put out films which are appreciated and enjoyed and rated highly.

It's just that there are some stinkers in between.

To take the position that there isn't any good content at all is lunacy.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not what I said at all... and to take the position that I did would be... lunacy.
I apologize for misunderstanding you. Please help me understand: If a studio has a lack of talent for both originals and remakes, then doesn't that mean that they aren't producing anything good?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Walt Disney Company revealed Wednesday that it is launching a new bundled subscription option in Japan that combines content from Disney+ and Hulu Japan.

Hulu Japan was spun off in 2014 from the U.S.-based Hulu service, which is majority owned by Disney. Hulu Japan is owned and operated by a subsidiary of leading Japanese broadcaster Nippon TV and the service has a large pool of local Japanese content, including drama series, anime, variety shows, live music and sports.

The new Disney+ and Hulu Japan bundle plan goes live for Japanese consumers Wednesday and is priced at 1,490 yen per month, including tax (about $10.75), which is 25 percent less than subscribing to each service individually. Subscribers will get access to both Hulu Japan’s locally popular programming and Disney’s flagship live actions and animated content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Star. "

Full article below.

KeithVH

I think "original" can mean different things to different people. It could be something out of the blue like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was in 1978, War of the Worlds in 1897 (or 1938) or Tarzan and John Carter of Mars in 1912 and 1918. These hit society out of the blue when there was nothing else like them. And all of them have had SERIOUS influence over anything that's comes out since their release.

I don't necessarily expect that from Disney. That'd be like expecting a story at the level of LOTR or Dune (I mean the books) to come from some underpaid artist in Burbank. Possible but not probable. What I do expect is a proper story getting an appropriate treatment that isn't gratuitous or cheap. They've been making video-based entertainment for 80+ years, they have the ability. My impression is this isn't a creativity problem as much as it is a management problem.

Maybe original to me is a series on the Incarnations or Xanth from Piers Anthony. Pick any one of a crapton of work from Asimov or Clark (doesn't have to be outer space stuff - Black Widow mysteries?). You want the young male contingent? Reboot Johnny Quest (better do a d_mn good job on it). Pick any Simon Green series. Maybe WEB Griffin. I could go on and on all day. It's not that there aren't story ideas out there that people have never seen before. It's bean counting run amuck. So we end up crappy remakes of cartoons and a boatload of money down the drain on poor content created and then yanked 'cause TWDC can't stand the word "residual".

Maybe Apple should buy them . . .

Mmoore29

Let's put a stop to all this "ABC is going to be sold" talk. If Disney hasn't sold it by now, it's never going to. Disney would never undo an acquisition like that.

ESPN will go DTC, Disney will buy out Comcast's stake in Hulu, Hulu itself will be shut down as its content moves to Disney+, much of the India assets will be sold, but ABC and Freeform are here to stay. It's as simple as that.

Disstevefan1

Iger on Hulu - "I ultimately concluded that we would be better off having Hulu than not having Hulu."

DisneyBurnsMoney.jpg

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
New to D+ and Hulu in August listed here:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom