Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So less classic Disney animation & live action and more cheap outsourced shows.
Cheap outsourced shows are the ones most likely to be axed. They cost a licensing fee and they don't increase subscriptions.

But we may see Disney move some of their D+ library to their own TV channels or to be licensed by other streamers exclusively for a while before returning 'home.'

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Iger announced today that Hulu will be integrated into Disney+. Looks like they won’t be selling it off
I was talking about the streaming service itself. When he meant "integration", he meant bringing Hulu’s shows and films, including originals to Disney+. He was also saying that it’s a new app, and not a Hulu tab on D+.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Cheap outsourced shows are the ones most likely to be axed. They cost a licensing fee and they don't increase subscriptions.

But we may see Disney move some of their D+ library to their own TV channels or to be licensed by other streamers exclusively for a while before returning 'home.'
Provide me an example of a cheap outsourced show on Disney+ for me, will ya?

Serpico Jones

“If you cut costs too much and you don’t have new programming it’s really easy to drop the subscription and wait until they come up with something new that you want to watch. It’s a very tough business and you’ve got these unbelievably deep pocketed competitors that you’re up against” -DisneyWar author James B. Stewart on CNBC

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
“The best days of Disney are behind it. This is a fiercely competitive environment and they can’t compete with the Netflix and Amazon spending” -DisneyWar author James B. Stewart on CNBC
Disney has been and continues to outspend Netflix on content. Last year Netflix made a huge pivot in cutting back spending on a deluge of content -- which Disney is going to do... in 2024. The rest of 2023 has contractual obligations.
I’m sure the next CEO will have a different, better approach for Disney, with more creativity and less corporate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
“If you cut costs too much and you don’t have new programming it’s really easy to drop the subscription and wait until they come up with something new that you want to watch. It’s a very tough business and you’ve got these unbelievably deep pocketed competitors that you’re up against” -DisneyWar author James B. Stewart on CNBC

We got tentpole films regularly dropping on D+. - Bob Iger (paraphrased)​

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was talking about the streaming service itself. When he meant "integration", he meant bringing Hulu’s shows and films, including originals to Disney+. He was also saying that it’s a new app, and not a Hulu tab on D+.
Incorrect, Hulu will be a tab inside D+ and will be the location for all general entertainment just like Star is outside the US. This is for all Bundle subscribers.

So its not a "new app" its a one app experience for both services under D+ for Bundle subscribers.

For now if you only subscribe to Hulu you can continue to be on only Hulu and access Hulu through its app. However I suspect in the near future after Disney has fully ownership this will go away as well, late 2024 or early 2025.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Incorrect, Hulu will be a tab inside D+ and will be the location for all general entertainment just like Star is outside the US. This is for all Bundle subscribers.

So its not a "new app" its a one app experience for both services under D+ for Bundle subscribers.

For now if you only subscribe to Hulu you can continue to be on only Hulu and access Hulu through its app. However I suspect in the near future after Disney has fully ownership this will go away as well, late 2024 or early 2025.
If Comcast does want Disney's stake in Hulu, could they use a different name for the upcoming tab? I was thinking of "Twinkle". People still like using Hulu for its content and live television (without cable), and they would be upset if the streaming service itself got shut down. Hulu even signed a multi-year deal back in January of this year with Fox Corp.

I believe Comcast could use the opportunity to acquire Disney's stake in Hulu (the streamer) and merge said service with Peacock, creating a service that has both NBCUniversal's library, originals, live TV channels, and livestreams.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If Comcast does want Disney's stake in Hulu, could they use a different name for the upcoming tab? I was thinking of "Twinkle". People still like using Hulu for its content and live television (without cable), and they would be upset if the streaming service itself got shut down. Hulu even signed a multi-year deal back in January of this year with Fox Corp.

I believe Comcast could use the opportunity to acquire Disney's stake in Hulu (the streamer) and merge said service with Peacock, creating a service that has both NBCUniversal's library, originals, live TV channels, and livestreams.

The only way Comcast gets Hulu is if Disney is willing to sell, and based on previous moves and todays announcement it looks like Disney is not selling Hulu. Comcast has no claim to Hulu, this is part of the agreement when Disney bought 21CF.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
The only way Comcast gets Hulu is if Disney is willing to sell, and based on previous moves and todays announcement it looks like Disney is not selling Hulu.
Decision hasn’t been made quite yet.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Decision hasn’t been made quite yet.
The likelihood of Disney doing anything but buying Hulu fully is pretty slim and getting slimmer every day.

It’s time to accept it my friend.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
The likelihood of Disney doing anything but buying Hulu fully is pretty slim and getting slimmer every day.

It’s time to accept it my friend.
Your opinion. I ain’t even fond of predictions, because of something like that "one app experience" that was announced.

We should wait for Comcast’s decision.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Your opinion. I ain’t even fond of predictions, because of something like that "one app experience" that was announced.

We should wait for Comcast’s decision.
I’m not sure what “decision” you think there is to make. As mentioned Comcast has no claim to Hulu.

But I guess you go ahead and wait however the rest of us will be discussing todays announcement and how it affects Disney and Disney+ moving forward.

KeithVH

Thank you. Quickest answer I ever found here. Read the article on MSN and I was trying to understand how cutting already made content would save money. Come here, go right to the last page and, Bingo!, the answer is right in the first sentence.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I’m not sure what “decision” you think there is to make. As mentioned Comcast has no claim to Hulu.
Disney and Comcast are actively negotiating.

There's the deal that's been in place for Disney to buy it, and if either party wants to hold the other one to that deal, they can. But they're actively looking to do a new, different deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom