Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney’s 'Crater' to Debut Exclusively on Disney+ May 12March 29, 2023

The Disney+ Original Movie “Crater” will debut exclusively on the service on May 12. Directed by Kyle Patrick Alvarez, the coming-of-age sci-fi adventure stars Isaiah Russell-Bailey, Mckenna Grace, Billy Barratt, Orson Hong, Thomas Boyce and Scott Mescudi. A 21 Laps Production, the film was written by John Griffin and produced by Shawn Levy, Dan Levine and Dan Cohen. The film’s executive producers are Emily Morris, John G. Scotti, Rpin Suwannath, Gordon Gray, Paris Latsis and Terry Douglas.

“Crater” is the story of Caleb Channing (Russell-Bailey), who was raised on a lunar mining colony and is about to be permanently relocated to an idyllic faraway planet following the death of his father (Mescudi). But before leaving, to fulfill his dad’s last wish, he and his three best friends, Dylan (Barratt), Borney (Hong) and Marcus (Boyce), and a new arrival from Earth, Addison (Grace), hijack a rover for one final adventure on a journey to explore a mysterious crater.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"In a shake-up of Disney’s streaming leadership ranks, the company is moving Hulu president Joe Earley into the role of president of direct-to-consumer for Disney Entertainment effective immediately — succeeding Michael Paull, who is leaving Disney after six years.

In the new role, Earley will lead Disney Entertainment’s streaming businesses including Disney+ and Hulu, reporting to co-chairmen Alan Bergman and Dana Walden. A former longtime Fox exec, Earley joined Disney in 2019 as was instrumental in the launch of Disney+. In addition, Earley will continue as the top exec in charge of Hulu until the company identifies a replacement. Disney+ is led by president Alisa Bowen, who was elevated to the post last fall after overseeing global business operations for Disney’s streaming platforms.

Paull, a former Amazon digital video exec, was originally tapped in 2017 as CEO of BAMTech, the video-streaming company previously jointly owned by Disney, Major League Baseball and the NHL (and now fully owned by Disney).

“Joe has proven himself to be an extraordinary asset and is uniquely positioned for this role as we guide Disney’s streaming strategy into the future,” Bergman and Walden said in a joint statement. “His vast industry experience and deep understanding of what sets our prestigious portfolio of brands apart will be essential as we build on our robust direct-to-consumer efforts. Joe is a talented, passionate leader, committed to creative excellence, and we look forward to partnering with him in this next chapter.”

Earley commented, “Helping launch Disney+ was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and Hulu has been inspiring and rewarding. I’m incredibly grateful to Dana and Alan for their confidence and the opportunity to lead both of these incredible teams during this time of transformation and opportunity across the streaming landscape.”"

Full article below.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
"In a shake-up of Disney’s streaming leadership ranks, the company is moving Hulu president Joe Earley into the role of president of direct-to-consumer for Disney Entertainment effective immediately — succeeding Michael Paull, who is leaving Disney after six years.

In the new role, Earley will lead Disney Entertainment’s streaming businesses including Disney+ and Hulu, reporting to co-chairmen Alan Bergman and Dana Walden. A former longtime Fox exec, Earley joined Disney in 2019 as was instrumental in the launch of Disney+. In addition, Earley will continue as the top exec in charge of Hulu until the company identifies a replacement. Disney+ is led by president Alisa Bowen, who was elevated to the post last fall after overseeing global business operations for Disney’s streaming platforms.

Paull, a former Amazon digital video exec, was originally tapped in 2017 as CEO of BAMTech, the video-streaming company previously jointly owned by Disney, Major League Baseball and the NHL (and now fully owned by Disney).

“Joe has proven himself to be an extraordinary asset and is uniquely positioned for this role as we guide Disney’s streaming strategy into the future,” Bergman and Walden said in a joint statement. “His vast industry experience and deep understanding of what sets our prestigious portfolio of brands apart will be essential as we build on our robust direct-to-consumer efforts. Joe is a talented, passionate leader, committed to creative excellence, and we look forward to partnering with him in this next chapter.”

Earley commented, “Helping launch Disney+ was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and Hulu has been inspiring and rewarding. I’m incredibly grateful to Dana and Alan for their confidence and the opportunity to lead both of these incredible teams during this time of transformation and opportunity across the streaming landscape.”"

Full article below.

Looks like more movement to align all DTC into a single platform.....

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Looks like more movement to align all DTC into a single platform.....
But Iger is still pondering on whether to give up Hulu or not. It would surely be difficult, even with families, to close Hulu and put more mature content on Disney+ unless they decided to give up assets like FX, 20th Century, 20th TV, and Searchlight. The recent layoffs and cutbacks are making those mentioned asset sales more of a possibility.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But Iger is still pondering on whether to give up Hulu or not. It would surely be difficult, even with families, to close Hulu and put more mature content on Disney+ unless they decided to give up assets like FX, 20th Century, 20th TV, and Searchlight. The recent layoffs and cutbacks are making those mentioned asset sales more of a possibility.
First, DTC is more than just Disney+ and Hulu. It includes a lot of stuff including shopDisney, which was suppose to get an integration on Disney+. So when I talk about movement into a single platform I'm not just speaking about the merging of Disney+ and Hulu.

Also with regards to Disney+ and Hulu merging, we've been over this already many times. Its only in the US where this separation exists. Outside the US with the Star tab families get access to not only Disney content but a large majority of the content that is on Hulu today, including mature content. And there doesn't appear to be any push back from families regarding it.

Not to mention there already is mature content on Disney+ in the US today. With the use of parental controls parents can lock out the mature content from kids profiles based on content rating. It works very well and again there is no major push back regarding it.

So adding Hulu as a tab in Disney+ in the US just like Star is outside the US still seems like the next logical step. It gives a uniform experience (minus some regional differences due to licensing) for all Disney+ users globally. And they can do it without giving up any of the 21CF assets like FX and 20th Century. Plus it also is a cost cutting measure as you don't have to maintain separate teams, separate platforms, etc.

Look I don't know what Iger is going to decide with Hulu. I have an opinion, the same opinion I've had since 2019 when Disney bought 21CF. All the moves they've made over the course of the last 3 years appears to be confirming that opinion. As I keep saying we'll see what happens between now and sometime in early 2024.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The Disney+ ad-supported tier is now available to those who use a Roku device. You may need to update the app for it to become available.

If you are a Disney+ Basic, Disney Bundle Duo Basic, or Disney Bundle Trio Basic subscriber and attempting to stream Disney+ from a Roku device, you may need to update your Disney+ app. To update your Disney+ app, follow these steps:
  1. Go to the Roku home menu
  2. Navigate to Settings > System > System Update
Once you have updated the Disney+ app to the latest version, you’ll be able to enjoy streaming Disney+ (With Ads) on Roku.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
The Disney+ ad-supported tier is now available to those who use a Roku device. You may need to update the app for it to become available.

If you are a Disney+ Basic, Disney Bundle Duo Basic, or Disney Bundle Trio Basic subscriber and attempting to stream Disney+ from a Roku device, you may need to update your Disney+ app. To update your Disney+ app, follow these steps:
  1. Go to the Roku home menu
  2. Navigate to Settings > System > System Update
Once you have updated the Disney+ app to the latest version, you’ll be able to enjoy streaming Disney+ (With Ads) on Roku.

Hunh. The Internet doesn't yet have the lowdown on who blinked first.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
First, DTC is more than just Disney+ and Hulu. It includes a lot of stuff including shopDisney, which was suppose to get an integration on Disney+. So when I talk about movement into a single platform I'm not just speaking about the merging of Disney+ and Hulu.

Also with regards to Disney+ and Hulu merging, we've been over this already many times. Its only in the US where this separation exists. Outside the US with the Star tab families get access to not only Disney content but a large majority of the content that is on Hulu today, including mature content. And there doesn't appear to be any push back from families regarding it.

Not to mention there already is mature content on Disney+ in the US today. With the use of parental controls parents can lock out the mature content from kids profiles based on content rating. It works very well and again there is no major push back regarding it.

So adding Hulu as a tab in Disney+ in the US just like Star is outside the US still seems like the next logical step. It gives a uniform experience (minus some regional differences due to licensing) for all Disney+ users globally. And they can do it without giving up any of the 21CF assets like FX and 20th Century. Plus it also is a cost cutting measure as you don't have to maintain separate teams, separate platforms, etc.

Look I don't know what Iger is going to decide with Hulu. I have an opinion, the same opinion I've had since 2019 when Disney bought 21CF. All the moves they've made over the course of the last 3 years appears to be confirming that opinion. As I keep saying we'll see what happens between now and sometime in early 2024.
The one thing we know right now is that Iger is starting to have different feelings for "general entertainment" unlike in 2019 after he bought 21st Century Fox.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The one thing we know right now is that Iger is starting to have different feelings for "general entertainment" unlike in 2019 after he bought 21st Century Fox.
I don't know if I would say that, rather would say he wants to refocus Disney back to general entertainment.

Either way I wouldn't say this has any impact, at least apparent impact, to Hulu or the rest of 21CF.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
I don't know if I would say that, rather would say he wants to refocus Disney back to general entertainment.

Either way I wouldn't say this has any impact, at least apparent impact, to Hulu or the rest of 21CF.
That’s your opinion, and I think it’s time to drop your opinion on Hulu since 2019, with the recent reality of Iger's Hulu problem following the Q1 2023 report.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s your opinion, and I think it’s time to drop your opinion on Hulu since 2019, with the recent reality of Iger's Hulu problem following the Q1 2023 report.
Why would I drop my opinion on Hulu, it still makes the most sense for Disney's streaming platform overall. Maybe its best you drop your opinion on them getting rid of 21CF assets as that makes no sense.

Also not sure what you mean "Iger's Hulu problem". Hulu was up 2% overall in Q1. Doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Why would I drop my opinion on Hulu, it still makes the most sense for Disney's streaming platform overall. Maybe its best you drop your opinion on them getting rid of 21CF assets as that makes no sense.

Also not sure what you mean "Iger's Hulu problem". Hulu was up 2% overall in Q1. Doesn't seem like a problem to me.
What I mean is that he isn’t ruling out a sale of Hulu.

They really should find a way to add a mature content tab to D+ without shutting down Hulu, because I believe there are people that use Hulu's live television function and not just to watch the streamer’s shows. A Hulu sale would also make sense if they want to bring all of that streamer's original and FX content to D+ in order to reduce costs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What I mean is that he isn’t ruling out a sale of Hulu.
This isn't a "problem", this is part of their contractual agreement with Comcast over ownership of Hulu. Whether Iger, Chapek, or some other CEO they were always going to have to make a decision on the future of Hulu, including a potential sale.

They really should find a way to add a mature content tab to D+ without shutting down Hulu, because I believe there are people that use Hulu's live television function and not just to watch the streamer’s shows. A Hulu sale would also make sense if they want to bring all of that streamer's original and FX content to D+ in order to reduce costs.
We've been over this already, many times now.

D+ already has mature content today. You can watch the mature Marvel shows right now on D+, including the R rated Deadpool.

Adding Hulu into D+ just allows them to merge even more content both family friendly and mature content into D+, making it stronger in the US to compete against Netflix. This wouldn't "shutdown" Hulu it just wouldn't be a standalone service anymore. Just like if they sold it to Comcast or someone else it too would no longer be a standalone service. Hulu is going to be consolidated into another service one way or another and it might as well just be Disney with D+.

Also the LiveTv subs aren't a huge number, they represent only 10% of the overall subs Hulu has. So in reality even if they shutdown the LiveTv feature if Hulu and D+ merge, which I don't believe they will in a merged service, that would only account for a 1% of the total subs for all of Disney streaming platforms. Not a huge number when considering the gains they'll make by having a combined service.

A Hulu sale for just the platform with no content makes no sense for a buyer, especially Comcast. They already have a platform, they don't need to buy another one without any content. Basically there is no sale of Hulu that I can see happening if content doesn't come with it. And I don't see Disney selling any content just for a sale of Hulu.

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
This isn't a "problem", this is part of their contractual agreement with Comcast over ownership of Hulu. Whether Iger, Chapek, or some other CEO they were always going to have to make a decision on the future of Hulu, including a potential sale.

We've been over this already, many times now.

D+ already has mature content today. You can watch the mature Marvel shows right now on D+, including the R rated Deadpool.

Adding Hulu into D+ just allows them to merge even more content both family friendly and mature content into D+, making it stronger in the US to compete against Netflix. This wouldn't "shutdown" Hulu it just wouldn't be a standalone service anymore. Just like if they sold it to Comcast or someone else it too would no longer be a standalone service. Hulu is going to be consolidated into another service one way or another and it might as well just be Disney with D+.

Also the LiveTv subs aren't a huge number, they represent only 10% of the overall subs Hulu has. So in reality even if they shutdown the LiveTv feature if Hulu and D+ merge, which I don't believe they will in a merged service, that would only account for a 1% of the total subs for all of Disney streaming platforms. Not a huge number when considering the gains they'll make by having a combined service.

A Hulu sale for just the platform with no content makes no sense for a buyer, especially Comcast. They already have a platform, they don't need to buy another one without any content. Basically there is no sale of Hulu that I can see happening if content doesn't come with it. And I don't see Disney selling any content just for a sale of Hulu.
Disney+ wouldn’t even want to carry content from Fox Corp. like new episodes of their shows. Give up already before Stewie Griffin comes for you!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney+ wouldn’t even want to carry content from Fox Corp. like new episodes of their shows. Give up already before Stewie Griffin comes for you!
It seems like your opinion of D+ is limited to only the US, it has much more reach and more subs outside the US. As D+ carries a large catalog of 20th Century content, especially new shows, outside the US. Stewie would be 100% on my side on this one. So you're just wrong here my friend.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
It seems like your opinion of D+ is limited to only the US, it has much more reach and more subs outside the US. As D+ carries a large catalog of 20th Century content, especially new shows, outside the US. Stewie would be 100% on my side on this one. So you're just wrong here my friend.
Yes my opinion is limited to American D+.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Got to look beyond just the US my friend, D+ is worldwide. How D+ outside the US is today is exactly how I envision D+ combined with Hulu would be.
Even if you continue to envision your D+/Hulu combination, you gotta know that the streaming business is stalling, stock markets are falling, and Disney has a heavy load of debt. All of these make them getting all of Hulu impossible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom