Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Phroobar

Disney+ needs more Bollywood.

iu

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
I’m going to say this about Sony Pictures films and shows (at least those that are rated G to PG-13) coming to Disney+ later this year: I know that users like MisterPenguin and Disney Irish will disagree with me on this, but I feel that Disney will have to give up 20th Century Studios and 20th Television (despite that they are already integrated; Disney could split the film and TV assets with the 20th side separated in order to make a sale possible), because I think they shouldn’t have both films and shows from Sony and 20th on D+, as it could be too much for them to handle. They have to pick one or the other.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m going to say this about Sony Pictures films and shows (at least those that are rated G to PG-13) coming to Disney+ later this year: I know that users like MisterPenguin and Disney Irish will disagree with me on this, but I feel that Disney will have to give up 20th Century Studios and 20th Television (despite that they are already integrated; Disney could split the film and TV assets with the 20th side separated in order to make a sale possible), because I think they shouldn’t have both films and shows from Sony and 20th on D+, as it could be too much for them to handle. They have to pick one or the other.
So other streaming services handle all sorts of content from many sources, for example Netflix has been doing it for many years now. So why do you feel that Disney can't with D+ and it'll be too much for them?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Exactly. It's not like Disney+ is going for a family audience only catalog anymore. I wonder if they should though.
There's plenty of adult and serious content on Hulu. Outside the U.S., Disney+ subscribers see it in the Star tile within D+. And eventually, those of us in the U.S. will see it withing D+, too, when Disney is forced to buy out Hulu.

The Bob's are on record as being for adult content. They (and I) were amazed to find that 60% of D+ subscribers are from households with no children. And those households would like to see more adult content.

So, they've been publicly committed to "4 Quadrant" content (male, female, children, adults).

DCBaker

Premium Member
“Nexstar Media Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: NXST) (“Nexstar”) today announced that it has reached a comprehensive multi-year distribution agreement with Hulu. The deal covers 122 of the company’s local television stations, including the launch of the company’s MyNetworkTV affiliates and independent stations, and the continued carriage of its cable news network, NewsNation, on Hulu + Live TV. Financial terms of the agreement were not released.”

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
“Nexstar Media Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: NXST) (“Nexstar”) today announced that it has reached a comprehensive multi-year distribution agreement with Hulu. The deal covers 122 of the company’s local television stations, including the launch of the company’s MyNetworkTV affiliates and independent stations, and the continued carriage of its cable news network, NewsNation, on Hulu + Live TV. Financial terms of the agreement were not released.”

Oh, good. We'll be able to watch the last CW show left!

DCBaker

Premium Member
The show will reportedly also remain available to stream live on Disney+.

"Do we have Bob Iger to thank for this? Dana Walden? Whoever made the decision, the fringe fans thank you: Dancing with the Stars is moving back to ABC, Deadline has learned.

It aired for one season on Disney+.

Last year, Disney made the decision to move their popular show to its digital platform. The show received a two-year pickup at the same time. DWTS became the first live series to debut on the service and the first live streaming reality show in the U.S., marking another milestone for direct-to-consumer platforms."

Slpy3270

The show will reportedly also remain available to stream live on Disney+.

"Do we have Bob Iger to thank for this? Dana Walden? Whoever made the decision, the fringe fans thank you: Dancing with the Stars is moving back to ABC, Deadline has learned.

It aired for one season on Disney+.

Last year, Disney made the decision to move their popular show to its digital platform. The show received a two-year pickup at the same time. DWTS became the first live series to debut on the service and the first live streaming reality show in the U.S., marking another milestone for direct-to-consumer platforms."

That this happened as the writers went on strike can't be a coincidence, can it?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
That this happened as the writers went on strike can't be a coincidence, can it?
Nah, it's part of the pivot away from driving up subs to simply being more profitable.

Being on ABC brings in ad dollars. It only makes fiscal sense to have it on broadcast *and* streaming.

The extreme version of this is seen with MAX in which direct-to-streaming movies has been declared dead. Theatrical release comes first to wring the most profit out of content.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom