Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

jtizzle1023

Not gonna lie but as a huge Disney fan, This completely outdoes the fantasyland expansion. I will be visiting this area in Universal more than the expansion I CANT WAIT!!!!:sohappy:

TalkingHead

Are you ignoring the other posts that have listed souces? Universal being one of them.

I'm not going to wade through 15 pages of bickering. I googled the phrase and it looks like the AP ran a story with the "HP TP" title. I don't see where Universal pushed the idea of this being an independent theme park, but if they did so repeatedly there will probably be a negative backlash by some guests.

Sorta like when you advertise a "Fantasyland Expansion" that only includes one new ride.

Very similar, actually.

RoRo

I must say that the members of this forum lack a basic understanding of humor and sarcasm. Sheesh.

Nothing you said had any funny humor, I don't find George Lucas's jealousy funny :veryconfu.

Harry Potter was advertised as a theme park within a theme park.

NewfieFan

I'm not going to wade through 15 pages of bickering. I googled the phrase and it looks like the AP ran a story with the "HP TP" title. I don't see where Universal pushed the idea of this being an independent theme park, but if they did so repeatedly there will probably be a negative backlash by some guests.

Sorta like when you advertise a "Fantasyland Expansion" that only includes one new ride.

Very similar, actually.

Last time I checked... when you expand an area such as Fantasyland and almost double it's size (regardless of what is going there)... I don't think they're out of line when they refer to it as the "Fantasyland Expansion"!:rolleyes:

It is fanboys that think the word "expansion" means E-ticket rides coming out of the wazoo.

jt04

This is very very true. Though question, what is this MI concept? Mystery Island, as in AK?

Yes. I understand the concept was not MI exactly but it gets the idea across. But since the 20K movie was canceled I'm no longer convinced it's in the running to be the potter swatter......... if necessary.

I haven't heard anything as to what that might be or what concept is now in favor. Fun to speculate though.

jeffk410

I never before had a desire to go to UNI or IOA, Ive been a couple times before and dreaded it, but now I might have to re think a day their...

misterID

I said this earlier in the thread, but I seriously doubt anyone is going to confuse HP for its own theme park. I haven't seen anything that claimed this, anyone have a link?

devoy1701

Nothing you said had any funny humor, I don't find George Lucas's jealousy funny :veryconfu.

Harry Potter was advertised as a theme park within a theme park.

I'm sorry you feel that way. The entire post was set up in a sarcastic tone. The comment about George Lucas should have been a dead giveaway. ill try to be more obvious next time and use a disclaimer I guess?

TalkingHead

Last time I checked... when you expand an area such as Fantasyland and almost double it's size (regardless of what is going there)... I don't think they're out of line when they refer to it as the "Fantasyland Expansion"!:rolleyes:

It is fanboys that think the word "expansion" means E-ticket rides coming out of the wazoo.

That's the semantics game. You're right to say it's an expansion.

...But to Joe Rube from Kansas, it may seem to be much ado about little--especially if Disney markets this like the second coming of Walt (which we know they will).

To Joe, it's a new ride and some extra frivolous stuff. A restaurant that will no doubt be booked months in advance, more characters, kiddy stuff, you know.

And that's fine, but it wouldn't surprise me if guests get upset that it's not as much as it's cracked up to be.

Look at MGM's opening year for further evidence of Disney not living up to expectations. How many rides were there? Two? And how many attractions/shows? Three?

Yikes. That was the Eisner way, which we're still living with today.

IWant2GoNow

I've talked to people recently who thought WWoHP was it's own theme park, but when I tell them it's just a new land they don't get discouraged they just say something like "Oh, well I still think it sounds really cool."

Of course I still talk to some people who think Universal's parks are part of WDW. :rolleyes:

...Or that DHS is USO... sigh... Maybe I need new friends. :lol:

misterID

I'm sure FLE will be advertised with ST2.

It's actually pretty smart UNI Orlando builds up their park with HP while Disney is spending all that money on DLR. That would be a killer competition with Carsland.

NewfieFan

That's the semantics game. You're right to say it's an expansion.

...But to Joe Rube from Kansas, it may seem to be much ado about little--especially if Disney markets this like the second coming of Walt (which we know they will).

To Joe, it's a new ride and some extra frivolous stuff. A restaurant that will no doubt be booked months in advance, more characters, kiddy stuff, you know.

And that's fine, but it wouldn't surprise me if guests get upset that it's not as much as it's cracked up to be.

Look at MGM's opening year for further evidence of Disney not living up to expectations. How many rides were there? Two? And how many attractions/shows? Three?

Yikes. That was the Eisner way, which we're still living with today.

The average guest doesn't have expectations as to what an expansion is or what it will include!

We are the only ones with expectations and some of us have already made up our mind on the FLE when we haven't even laid eyes on it yet!

I see it for what it is. A new ride (great), new and better themed M&Gs for the princesses (anything is better than the tent in TT), a new restaurant (I thought everyone would be happy about that - we're always complaining about the lack of), added capacity for Dumbo (bonus). Nothing about this expansion disappoints me... that's b/c I have no expectations for an expansion... I'm looking at the additions for what they are.

I think the word expansion invokes some wonderful elaborate plans in the minds of fanboys that we're already disappointed. If Disney announced they were adding a new ride and retheming the M&Gs... I don't think we'd hear near the noise we're hearing on this one!

IMO! :wave:

RSoxNo1

What's funny here is the level of cynacism both on the Fantasy Land Expansion and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Most of the rabid Disney fan base is headed by adult males.

From a general marketing standpoint, the Fantasy Land expansion does not cater to those that drive internet message boards, while The Wizarding World of Harry Potter does.

I do think that many people on here are clouded by their Disney Rose Colored glasses. I think that if Disney had elected to outbid Universal on the rights to Harry Potter, and the exact same Harry Potter world was going into the Backlot Tour area of Hollywood Studios while Universal combatted this by actually adding family friendly (see princess meet and greets) attractions to IOA then this would be a completely different argument.

Harry Potter will undoubtedly increase Islands of Adventure's attendance. The question is will it be a repeat of the original Islands of Adventure opening where attendance was taken largely from the main Universal Studios park, or will it actually draw people away from Disney.

misterID

Two words Disney... Beastly Kingdom

Yes. Even the Mysterious Island hybrid, which may or may not be dead. Even a Mystic Point section for Animal Kingdom that HKDL is getting. AK needs it just as bad and it would probably even be better fit in AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom