Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

hoke2007

Yeah, Universal is going to wipe the floors with WDW once Harry Potter's Wizarding World opens up. WDW has gotten pretty darn stagnant and their focus frankly stinks. We already have enough flipping meet and greets.

Figment632

it is not a fact because it has not yet opened yet and no games have been changed let alone begun to be played. it will not be fact until public opinion from experience and attendence numbers start rolling in.

Right now it is an opinion. It certainly has the potential to be a game changer. Only time will tell and then you can state your fact.

If you take your Disney blinders off for a second and just read about the ride you can see that there has never been anything like this before, kind of like when Indy first opened.

magic2me

Exactly how a lot of people feel about FLE.:wave:

1) FLE is an expansion. I would have liked another ride too. I would say many here may feel that way about FLE but I am not sure about the general public. This is not widely know outside Disney sites. Time will tell how the general public feels.

2) IOA has no draw to me except WWoHP. I am not a coaster person. MK has more of a draw to me than just FLE. There is stuff at US that I like but not enough to get me back often. More at WWoHP and I could have visited each year. We do SW 1-2 times per year. There is lots there for me without doing coasters.

To me Universal turned their back on people like me who are not into coasters. I loved the first time I rode ET. I wish they did more of those types of rides.

Teens are a big draw for them but teens need mom and dad for the money and trip and can also have younger siblings.

RoRo

The new Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey sounds amazing! The FLE cannot top this in anyway. This would be the time to go through with Beastly Kingdom :D.

devoy1701

If you take your Disney blinders off for a second and just read about the ride you can see that there has never been anything like this before, kind of like when Indy first opened.

I dont have on Disney blinders...i can see the good and the bad that the company does, moreso bad than good lately. I'm just looking at this topic with a rational head. I acknowledge that the main attraction is "unlike anything we've seen before" but I'm still saying that you can read all you want, but there is still no way you can say that HP land blows WDW out of the water if you have not yet experienced it yourself and you definitely can't state it as fact when the dang place hasn't even opened yet!

devoy1701

The new Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey sounds amazing! The FLE cannot top this in anyway. This would be the time to go through with Beastly Kingdom :D.

the argument here is not whether FLE can top HP. we all realize that the offerings if you compare the 2 are not on the same playing field. The questions that are at hand are:

a) whether people will be booking vacations just because of FLE (Figgy says he knows for a fact the answer is no).

b) Whether anyone in the Disney Company has called TLM an e Ticket (Figgy says Lasseter's opnion does not matter).

c) Whether HP land is a game changer (Figgy says for a fact yes but some of us are challenging how it is possible to state that as a fact when it hasn't opened yet).

d) Whether George Lucas is jealous of JK Rowling.

did I miss any?

imagineer boy

WDWMagic will be flooded with rabid fanboys and girls who will deny that HP is a much better theme-park experience than the FLE.

So true! :lol: I can see it now: "I personally have never cared for HP, and don't see what all the hype is about. To me it just looks like another typical Universal attraction, IMO I would much rather visit Pixie Hollow which will be WAY more popular than anything at HP land."

:hammer:

Figment632

I dont have on Disney blinders...i can see the good and the bad that the company does, moreso bad than good lately. I'm just looking at this topic with a rational head. I acknowledge that the main attraction is "unlike anything we've seen before" but I'm still saying that you can read all you want, but there is still no way you can say that HP land blows WDW out of the water if you have not yet experienced it yourself and you definitely can't state it as fact when the dang place hasn't even opened yet!

Ok a game changing ride vs an Omnimover and Meet & Greets :rolleyes:

RoRo

the argument here is not whether FLE can top HP. we all realize that the offerings if you compare the 2 are not on the same playing field. The questions that are at hand are:

a) whether people will be booking vacations just because of FLE (Figgy says he knows for a fact the answer is no).

b) Whether anyone in the Disney Company has called TLM an e Ticket (Figgy says Lasseter's opnion does not matter).

c) Whether HP land is a game changer (Figgy says for a fact yes but some of us are challenging how it is possible to state that as a fact when it hasn't opened yet).

d) Whether George Lucas is jealous of JK Rowling.

did I miss any?

Ok, obviously Disney went through with FLE just to counter WWOHP and plus if you don't believe in that statement, Disney's next big thing (FLE) obviously, unless the Little Mermaid dark ride is amazing and has something that can beat HPatFJ, cannot top HPatFJ.

I understand the two are different, one is a land expansion and one is a new land. If people that have seen it think it blows everything out of the water, then its amazing. FLE will just make Fantasyland nicer, thats all. If I remember correctly, the thread title does not has those "questions" listed at all. I can discuss anything I feel in a thread about WWOHP regarding Disnye's reaction to WWOHP.

Testtrack321

Ok a game changing ride vs an Omnimover and Meet & Greets :rolleyes:

You are comparing HP vs FLE. Yes, HP wins. Hands down from an experience perspective. But nothing, NOTHING, is isolated, there are other factors. When people see the expansion plus everything else and compare it to the land (which they thought was a new park) that they get in IOA, I think they'll end up coming back to Disney. It doesn't matter if the ride is a game changer, if it's an hour experience, or whatever. Unless at the end Jesus comes to heal the wounded and give sight to the blind, Universal won't do a major leapfrog over Disney. This isn't being blinded, a fanboi*, or whatever. It's momentum and brand, wether you and UO like it or not.

*Fanboi, blinders, whatever, it's a dismissive argument that doesn't add anything to the discussion and is an attempt at dismissing someone's opinion without any proper thought or recourse.

IWant2GoNow

This thread keeps getting curiouser and curiouser...

I'm still playing the wait and see game with ALL of it. I'm just hoping there's soft openings of WWoHP between June 5-12. If I miss the opening by a week... :mad: I'm reserving all judgement on WWoHP and FLE until I'm standing in the middle of them.

Tinkermommy

Remember the Spiderman ride.

It was supposed to be the "latest, best use of theme park technology ever." And it was for the first two years, until Universal stopped giving it TLC. Like cleaning the projections or fixing little things that break or go bad.

Now if you go to the Spiderman Ride it looks tired and worn down. I noticed the last time I rode it that they didn't finish the experience behind you. So if you were to look away from the action on the drop you would notice it was all a bunch of fans and a 3d movie.

This is Universal's MO. They can and will build amazing rides, but can they keep the magic alive? HP will draw huge crowds this summer, but what about the value season when crowds are light? What about maintenance?

Plus, think about a typical family of two parents a 12 year old and a 6 year old. There are like three things the 6 year old can do at both Universal and IoA. Because the rides and shows are way to much for little kids. And Harry Potter seems like it is going to be one of the rides that little kids will not be able to go on. Remember the news reports when the books would go on sale of that cute little 8 year old dressed like Harry Potter in line to pick up his copy of one of the books. That same cute little 8 year old might get really scared at a ride that "twists you, pulls, you and throws you." I know my 9 year old will not go on it.

How is Disney combating HP? Very little, first because they do not react, they Lead. Universal is not a threat. Next, because they know that a family flying down from Minnesota for a week vacation can only spend two days max at the Universal Resort. So all Disney has to do is make their vacation deals sweet, with free days, Magical Express, etc.

Think about Magical Express, you do not have to rent a car. So when Universal is 20 minutes away, an you do not have a car, and a $40 cab ride one way away from Pop Century, are you going to pay all of that money just to see Harry Potter?

Oh and an interactive cue, seen it done it. Kuka robotic arms, seen it done it, 3d projections you ride through, seen it done it.

And think about this, you know that Marvel is probably getting part of the ticket prices as payment for Universal using their characters. Great, that money is now Disney Money. Keep it up.

Very good point about the younglings. My husband and I are already planning to go and spend a day at HP because we love the books, but our kids are too young to do much at Universal so Nanny and Papa will be watching them for the day. Disney is amazingly friendly to young children. Last year we ducked into the Epcot baby center with our hot, cranky two year old daughter and they just let her crash and take a two hour nap in the nursing room. Amazing service that Universal does not have. Disney will always be the ultimate destination, even if visitors take a day or two at some of the other area attractions.

RSoxNo1

I agree that Fantasyland probably isn't going to dramatically increase attendance, but what it should do, is allow for the continued gradual growth in attendance that Disney has been reliant on for the Magic Kingdom. The added capacity should help ease congestion and in turn, improve guest satisfaction.

If you want to see a boost in attendance, we need to be hoping for a drop in attendance as a result of Harry Potter - otherwise Disney will continue with their slow paced development.

devoy1701

Ok, obviously Disney went through with FLE just to counter WWOHP and plus if you don't believe in that statement, Disney's next big thing (FLE) obviously, unless the Little Mermaid dark ride is amazing and has something that can beat HPatFJ, cannot top HPatFJ.

I understand the two are different, one is a land expansion and one is a new land. If people that have seen it think it blows everything out of the water, then its amazing. FLE will just make Fantasyland nicer, thats all. If I remember correctly, the thread title does not has those "questions" listed at all. I can discuss anything I feel in a thread about WWOHP regarding Disnye's reaction to WWOHP.

I must say that the members of this forum lack a basic understanding of humor and sarcasm. Sheesh.

sponono88

Tony Baxter retiring? The guy is still hard at work at DL.

in other news.. this looks amazing!

dsc0514.jpg

dsc4441b.jpg

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I see a couple of things in this discussion that are impossible to untangle.

1) Does FLE have anything to do with Potter. I don't think so. MK needed something new and nice. That's it.

2) Will Disney do anything directly to combat HP? Probably, but when is the key. I live in the midwest and for many, the Uni parks and to a lesser extent SW have already supplanted Disney as far as fun. Not everyone has thinks this, BUT it grows incrementally stronger over time. It's kind of like an iceberg carving out a valley. It moves very, very slowly. As a result, if Disney waits until there is an appreciable drop in attendance it may be too late. No matter how nice any response they have is, it will take quite a while to build the brand/rep back up. Thus, I would hope that some in the company are agitating for a response/announcement this calendar year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom