Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
And not wearing your CM badge?

I swear, consistency needs to be added to rD's vocabulary.

I understand using a pass to get into the Arena to purchase rD merchandise - cuts down on all the eBay resellers snapping up the merchandise before runners can. But to pick up your bib and race shirt?
i didn't go into the fieldhouse - no reason for me to since i wasn't running. Went in to Visa and Arena no issues.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I can't remember if I had to show my Expo pass to enter the Visa Center to pick up vendor merchandise.

@Demarke, did you have to show yours to get into both the Field House and Visa Center to get your bibs and shirts for Marathon weekend?
I don’t remember having to show it anywhere to get into a building. I only remember it being used at bib pickup so it would be easier to lookup and find your bib by number (since the bib # is on the pass).

My assumption is that, since the waivers (which previously had your bib # on them) are electronic now (so you won’t have that paper record of your bib # in hand when you get your bib), this is just the replacement to make sure people have their number ready and don’t clog any lines unnecessarily by getting in the wrong line or asking volunteers to look them up.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I don’t remember having to show it to get in anywhere. I only remember it being used at bib pickup so it would be easier to lookup and find your bib by number (since the bib # is on the pass).

My assumption is that, since the waivers (which previously had your bib # on them) are electronic now (so you won’t have a paper record of your bib # in hand when you get your bib), this is just the replacement to make sure people have their number ready and don’t clog any lines unnecessarily by getting in the wrong line or asking volunteers to look them up.

Then that needs to be clearer in the email sent to all runners:

"Your pass to the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo is NOW READY and can be accessed by clicking the button below. You'll need this pass to access the Expo at this week's Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend and pick up your Runner's Packet, including your necessary runner's bib(s)."

Why does the world's largest entertainment company have such horrendous problems with communication to the public? 🙄

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Then that needs to be clearer in the email sent to all runners:

"Your pass to the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo is NOW READY and can be accessed by clicking the button below. You'll need this pass to access the Expo at this week's Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend and pick up your Runner's Packet, including your necessary runner's bib(s)."

Why does the world's largest entertainment company have such horrendous problems with communication to the public? 🙄

I obviously can’t speak about runDisney, but when I volunteer for races here, there is sometimes a disconnect between what is in the race guide, what is told to the volunteers by the race organizers, and what is either heard or carried out by the volunteers. I always insist that someone show me their id, along with the bib confirmation (either paper or electronic); that is what I am told to do so that is what I do. When people are unhappy about it, I very nicely bring them to staff of the race organizers so they can take the responsibility of making an exception.

I recently volunteered for a race where they had us download an app to read the QR code on the bib pick up confirmation - made it so much easier, particularly as more and more people would show up with only an electronic confirmation - so you either had to remember the number as you looked for their bib or had to take their phone with you (which understandably people didn‘t like for you to do). With the app, not only did it give you all the necessary information (name of racer and bib number) but it also linked back to the organizer’s race registration database so they always had an accurate count of how many bibs had been picked up etc, which helped them with race logistics as well.

And thanks to COVID we had didn’t have any of this « I don‘t have an ID on me » that we used to get - they had to show proof of vaccination or negative test, which is only valid with an ID. People have gotten really good at either carrying their ID or carrying a picture of their ID 😉

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I obviously can’t speak about runDisney, but when I volunteer for races here, there is sometimes a disconnect between what is in the race guide, what is told to the volunteers by the race organizers, and what is either heard or carried out by the volunteers. I always insist that someone show me their id, along with the bib confirmation (either paper or electronic); that is what I am told to do so that is what I do. When people are unhappy about it, I very nicely bring them to staff of the race organizers so they can take the responsibility of making an exception.

I recently volunteered for a race where they had us download an app to read the QR code on the bib pick up confirmation - made it so much easier, particularly as more and more people would show up with only an electronic confirmation - so you either had to remember the number as you looked for their bib or had to take their phone with you (which understandably people didn‘t like for you to do). With the app, not only did it give you all the necessary information (name of racer and bib number) but it also linked back to the organizer’s race registration database so they always had an accurate count of how many bibs had been picked up etc, which helped them with race logistics as well.

And thanks to COVID we had didn’t have any of this « I don‘t have an ID on me » that we used to get - they had to show proof of vaccination or negative test, which is only valid with an ID. People have gotten really good at either carrying their ID or carrying a picture of their ID 😉

That app sounds like a brilliant idea, especially with regards to the number of people actually running on race day. Wouldn't it be nice if rD could capture those statistics? Provided Disney IT didn't get in the way....

Swissmiss

Premium Member
That app sounds like a brilliant idea, especially with regards to the number of people actually running on race day. Wouldn't it be nice if rD could capture those statistics? Provided Disney IT didn't get in the way....

It is really fantastic. In the past, we’d have to cross off the bib number on a list, and then at the end of the day they’d go in and update an electronic list. But at « rush times » it is really easy to forget to do so as you move quickly on to the next person’s bib confirmation.

For some reason I decided not to do bibs for the next race they organize (I think maybe the timing was such that’d need to take a full day off work and I only wanted to a half day of my annual leave) and I decided on the info desk. They love having me staff the info desk, because as I am usually a participant as well in the races so I know more than their average volunteer. Plus being bilingual is a huge plus for the info desk.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
2023 Registration opens in June

FMOz28JX0AASHww.jpg

Surferboy567

Good luck to all running Princess both in person and virtually. Have a great expo everyone, I’ll be monitoring the expo to see what comes out of it.

Virtual runners, if you have already ran your virtual race times may be submitted on your accounts.

Surferboy567

Interestingly enough, and unlike marathon weekend their is almost no live streams of the Princess expo. Maybe videos will come but surprised at the lack of coverage at least for now.

EDIT: Found one, but it’s limited

Last edited:

Figment82

I’ve been catching up on the stolen bib drama that was posted on FB. Absolutely crazy! I’m so glad rD takes this seriously and helps to keep everything fair, honest, and safe.

The guy claimed he “found” the bibs dropped on the floor. But had crossed out the girl’s name, ripped off the tracking strip, and wore it on his back. 🤦‍♀️ rD even changed the original bib number to say “Bruno Madrigal” on the tracking site. 😂

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I’ve been catching up on the stolen bib drama that was posted on FB. Absolutely crazy! I’m so glad rD takes this seriously and helps to keep everything fair, honest, and safe.

The guy claimed he “found” the bibs dropped on the floor. But had crossed out the girl’s name, ripped off the tracking strip, and wore it on his back. 🤦‍♀️ rD even changed the original bib number to say “Bruno Madrigal” on the tracking site. 😂

Not on FB so hadn’t heard of this drama - but it makes my very 🤬 that people steal bibs.

Figment82

Not on FB so hadn’t heard of this drama - but it makes my very 🤬 that people steal bibs.
This girl set her bag down at the expo to take a photo, and someone grabbed it - taking her 5K and Challenge bibs. She was able to get new bibs, and rD put out a BOLO to catch him on the course.

He ran the 5K yesterday and tried to hide the bib under his shirt, but forgot that there are numbers vertically on the side. They were visible at some point, so there were photos of him. During the 10K today, there were a bunch of runners looking out for him. Someone even spotted him in the corral. They were able to catch him close to the end. He tried to claim he just “found” the bibs on the ground, then later backtracked on his story. Just absolutely crazy. It’s times like these that I love the power of social media, haha!

Funny side story, someone said their husband happened to be dressed similarly. The police grabbed him off the course and were questioning him where got his bib. He was like, “uh, I bought it?” Poor guy! It was his first 10K too - what an experience!

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
This girl set her bag down at the expo to take a photo, and someone grabbed it - taking her 5K and Challenge bibs. She was able to get new bibs, and rD put out a BOLO to catch him on the course.

He ran the 5K yesterday and tried to hide the bib under his shirt, but forgot that there are numbers vertically on the side. They were visible at some point, so there were photos of him. During the 10K today, there were a bunch of runners looking out for him. Someone even spotted him in the corral. They were able to catch him close to the end. He tried to claim he just “found” the bibs on the ground, then later backtracked on his story. Just absolutely crazy. It’s times like these that I love the power of social media, haha!

Funny side story, someone said their husband happened to be dressed similarly. The police grabbed him off the course and were questioning him where got his bib. He was like, “uh, I bought it?” Poor guy! It was his first 10K too - what an experience!
What group on Facebook was it being discussed on? I’ve googled, searched Twitter, and tried a Facebook search, but am coming up with nothing. I’m interested in reading through some of the reports 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom