Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I am not impressed with Runner's Square. If runDisney expected it to be a reasonable substitution for the Race Retreat, they are sadly deluded. Nothing for post race, but hot beverages, chocolate milk and Odwalla smoothies. Pre-race was hot beverages and bananas. At least that's what was available by the time I got there at 4:40, thanks to our bus driver. 😠

The best part of the race retreat was that ENCLOSED tent that was air conditioned when it was hot and heated when it was cold. Those infrared heaters didn't cut it yesterday, either in the morning or after the race, when the wind picked up.

Why not set up the tents in the same spot the race retreat was? The signs to find runners square were lacking and misleading. I had to ask 2 rD staff where it was as one sign pointed you in the opposite direction. 🙄

I loved as you exited, the tent to sell you membership in Club runDisney.

I am one who gladly shells out the $120 for the race retreat every year. I will certainly let rD know my displeasure if I get a survey this race.
Sorry you didn’t get to race today and that we missed connecting at the parks, next time I’ll DM my cell to you so we can coordinate. 😃

On the plus side, I PR’d both races! 10K - 1:00:16 (zigzagging and running on grass most of the race from Corral E); Half - 2:25:27 (Corral D)

Totally agree with you with Runners Square by the way. I didn’t do early walk out today, but for the 10k the “special early walk out” was a longer route and after they opened the regular access. There were at least 500-600 people already in Corral E by the time I got there yesterday.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sorry you didn’t get to race today and that we missed connecting at the parks, next time I’ll DM my cell to you so we can coordinate. 😃

On the plus side, I PR’d both races! 10K - 1:00:16 (zigzagging and running on grass most of the race from Corral E); Half - 2:25:27 (Corral D)

Totally agree with you with Runners Square by the way. I didn’t do early walk out today, but for the 10k the “special early walk out” was a longer route and after they opened the regular access. There were at least 500-600 people already in Corral E by the time I got there yesterday.

Congrats on the PRs!!!

I knew when it took me almost 2 hours to complete the 10K the Half wasn't going to happen. Only reason I didn't get swept is my Corral C placement. Tried running on the Boardwalk, but after a few paces, I had to go back to walking.

Yeah, we should do that for SW so we can coordinate better. Are you doing a solo trip again?

That whole "walkout" yesterday was a joke. And I really appreciated being squeezed between buses and the back of porta-potties. 🙄

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@Demarke, if posting PoT hasn't closed for SW yet, make sure to update both your 10K pace & Half from this race. That time for the Half should get you moved up a corral in April. Same with 10K. If the deadline has passed, go to Race Relations at the Expo in April (usually in the same busing as bib pickup) and plead your case. I saw several bibs with changed corrals letters on them. It's worth a try.

Your PoTs are valid for 2 years, if I remember.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

Congrats. I guess E D wasn’t a problem this weekend 🤣

Demarke

Premium Member
Congrats on the PRs!!!

I knew when it took me almost 2 hours to complete the 10K the Half wasn't going to happen. Only reason I didn't get swept is my Corral C placement. Tried running on the Boardwalk, but after a few paces, I had to go back to walking.

Yeah, we should do that for SW so we can coordinate better. Are you doing a solo trip again?

That whole "walkout" yesterday was a joke. And I really appreciated being squeezed between buses and the back of porta-potties. 🙄
Yep, I’ll be solo for Star Wars weekend, I have a couple of clients in Orlando that I may need to take out to dinner one night, but otherwise will be flexible. Also, thanks for the tip on the submission of the new times, will check into it!

@Swissmiss - Thanks! Also, I feel like this is where I would normally make a joke about not limping until crossing the finish line, but this is a family website and I’ve already pressed my luck with the initial post! 😆

OG Runner

Thank you bud. I will try this.

From Marathon Weekend I rode, and got group 62. So I had a long time to wait. I enjoyed the Jamaica quiet pool :)

I rode, also during Marathon Weekend, and got boarding group 99. Funny thing, we struck up a conversation with a group
in front of us and they were group 79. They were eating when they got the call back. We were right there.

surfsupdon

I rode, also during Marathon Weekend, and got boarding group 99. Funny thing, we struck up a conversation with a group
in front of us and they were group 79. They were eating when they got the call back. We were right there.
Haha! I was more like them, I was about 90mins after the txt....the sun was out and the pool just felt great!

OG Runner

Haha! I was more like them, I was about 90mins after the txt....the sun was out and the pool just felt great!

How did you like the ride? I like that they brought a number of different elements into one experience.
Unfortunately, part of our escape from the holding cell did not go smoothly.

surfsupdon

How did you like the ride? I like that they brought a number of different elements into one experience.
Unfortunately, part of our escape from the holding cell did not go smoothly.
I liked the ride. But, now knowing the process to ride again on a different day, the ride was not worth that effort again.

cdeev8690

Congrats everyone on their races! That weather on Friday morning was....not ideal. I hope you all stayed warm as you were waiting for your groups. By the time I got running, I felt amazing. I was supposed to go with Coral A but my friend who was in Coral C convinced me that I was not prepared for that and should hang back with her (...another story for another time :rolleyes:)

Big mistake. I was one of the last groups to start. I did not get the time I wanted due to the clogged pathways but averaged 11 minutes a mile. I don't know what I was so nervous about. It was the easiest 3.1 miles I've ever ran lol

I went from never running a race in my life to getting through the 5K like it was a breeze, and now I've registered for a local 7.6K in Philadelphia and a 5K in Paris next month. What better way to see Paris than by running through the streets? (and there will be croissants and cafe au lait waiting for me at the end!)

I've got a reminder in my calendar for early registration for Wine & Dine where I intend on running the 10K.

My question for the group : when did you realize you were ready to commit to your first Half? I believe if I started training now, I could be ready by Wine & Dine but also worried that I may still have a bit of runner's high and I need to come down to earth. I'm in great health, about to turn 30, I work from home...I've got two more races and probably the summer virtuals. Would you do this if you were me?

OG Runner

Congrats everyone on their races! That weather on Friday morning was....not ideal. I hope you all stayed warm as you were waiting for your groups. By the time I got running, I felt amazing. I was supposed to go with Coral A but my friend who was in Coral C convinced me that I was not prepared for that and should hang back with her (...another story for another time :rolleyes:)

Big mistake. I was one of the last groups to start. I did not get the time I wanted due to the clogged pathways but averaged 11 minutes a mile. I don't know what I was so nervous about. It was the easiest 3.1 miles I've ever ran lol

I went from never running a race in my life to getting through the 5K like it was a breeze, and now I've registered for a local 7.6K in Philadelphia and a 5K in Paris next month. What better way to see Paris than by running through the streets? (and there will be croissants and cafe au lait waiting for me at the end!)

I've got a reminder in my calendar for early registration for Wine & Dine where I intend on running the 10K.

My question for the group : when did you realize you were ready to commit to your first Half? I believe if I started training now, I could be ready by Wine & Dine but also worried that I may still have a bit of runner's high and I need to come down to earth. I'm in great health, about to turn 30, I work from home...I've got two more races and probably the summer virtuals. Would you do this if you were me?

You are young and working from home, you should have the time to be consistent with your training.
Do you know how you ended up in corral A? You have about six months until Wine & Dine. Sign-up,
set the goal and remember 90% of a half is mental.

cdeev8690

You are young and working from home, you should have the time to be consistent with your training.
Do you know how you ended up in corral A? You have about six months until Wine & Dine. Sign-up,
set the goal and remember 90% of a half is mental.

Thanks! I'm going to give it a few more days as it's also a financial commitment in addition to the physical/mental commitment.

No idea how they assigned me into A. During my training, I had been averaging between 10-11 minute miles which is what I entered on my registration. I also stated that it was my first race. I was pretty shocked

Demarke

Premium Member

Depends on how fast of a time you’d be satisfied with for your first half. I ran my first 10k at 37yo (also first time jogging in several years) on St Pats of 2019 and signed up for the Rival Run Challenge (10k/Half) about 3-4 weeks later. I power walked a large portion of that first half and ended up finishing 2:59 and some change (a little under 14:00/mile I think) Doing a Disney race for my first one gave me the itch to sign up for more and work on improving my times.

Beware, this could lead to a passion for running and a lot more races! I train some, but have taken much more of a “train by doing” approach. Through just under 12 months I’ve done 28 total races now, including a 50k mountain trail run, a marathon, and 9 halfs, with another 12 races coming up by the end of May (Myrtle Beach marathon next up this weekend)!

Last edited:

OG Runner

Depends on how fast of a time you’d be satisfied with for your first half. I ran my first 10k at 37yo (also first time jogging in several years) on St Pats of 2019 and signed up for the Rival Run Challenge (10k/Half) about 3-4 weeks later. I power walked a large portion of that first half and ended up finishing 2:59 and some change (a little under 14:00/mile I think) Doing a Disney race for my first one gave me the itch to sign up for more and work on improving my times.

Beware, this could lead to a passion for running and a lot more races! I train some, but have taken much more of a “train by doing” approach. Through just under 12 months I’ve done 28 total races now, including a 50k mountain trail run, a marathon, and 9 halfs, with another 12 races coming up by the end of May (Myrtle Beach marathon next up this weekend)!

All very cool, but in all honesty you may be overdoing it. Basically you are talking a race at least every other week, often a distance
race. This does not give your body time heal. Make it a healthy passion, before you end up with an injured obsession. ;)

Demarke

Premium Member
All very cool, but in all honesty you may be overdoing it. Basically you are talking a race at least every other week, often a distance
race. This does not give your body time heal. Make it a healthy passion, before you end up with an injured obsession. ;)
Very true, although about half of the total were over 5 challenge weekends (4 Disney, 1 Uni), so it sounds more intense than it really is, and I don’t run at all in between if I’ve got races too close together (I haven’t run since the Princess 10k/Half to recover for the next distance). I look at it as following a rough marathon training progression, but getting medals for doing all my varying distance training runs, haha!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom