Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Trauma

I am an investor, and first and foremost in order to make me more money the company has to continue to survive.

Second, the majority of the investment community isn't concerned about x, y, or z pictures not performing well. Its looking at the overall health of the company, and currently D+ profitability, both of which are fine long term.

Lastly, Investors long term aren't concerned about the culture war issues as those are short lived and honestly Disney is on the right side of them.
I know it’s legal now, but your supply is extra strong.

Casper Gutman

LittleBuford

Multi-language version of Part of Your World. I like how PRC Mandarin lyric at the second part changed immediately to English at very end.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

It’s always puzzled me that they make different French, Portuguese, and Spanish versions for European and (in the continental sense) American speakers of these languages. It’s very different from how we approach things in the English-speaking world, where multiple regional varieties are often intentionally juxtaposed in one and the same film.

Sir_Cliff

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

It’s always puzzled me that they make different French, Portuguese, and Spanish versions for European and (in the continental sense) American speakers of these languages. It’s very different from how we approach things in the English-speaking world, where multiple regional varieties are often intentionally juxtaposed in one and the same film.
Yes, I always found it very interesting that they can have one Spanish-language version that works for all of Spanish-speaking Latin America from Mexico to Argentina despite the great diversity in accents and expressions but that Spain needed its own dub. I know in Latin America, at least, people do talk about how awful it is when they have to sit through a film dubbed for Spain!

It's also interesting how the same film often has different Spanish-language titles in Spain than it does in the rest of the Spanish-speaking world. For example, here is the poster for Inside Out in Spain and Latin America with both a different title and a different wording of the same tagline (the Latin American title is more clever, by the way!):

1688158682176.png
1688158740189.png

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Yes, I always found it very interesting that they can have one Spanish-language version that works for all of Spanish-speaking Latin America from Mexico to Argentina despite the great diversity in accents and expressions but that Spain needed its own dub. I know in Latin America, at least, people do talk about how awful it is when they have to sit through a film dubbed for Spain!

It's also interesting how the same film often has different Spanish-language titles in Spain than it does in the rest of the Spanish-speaking world. For example, here is the poster for Inside Out in Spain and Latin America with both a different title and a different wording of the same tagline (the Latin American title is more clever, by the way!):

View attachment 727515 View attachment 727516
Thanks, that’s fascinating! If I understand the situation correctly, it’s simply a matter of preference and custom rather than intelligibility. At the other extreme is what happens in the Arabic-speaking world, where, even though the various dialects are sometimes as different from each other as separate languages, generally one dub is used for the whole region (usually in the Egyptian dialect, which is widely understood because of exposure to Egyptian media).

Sir_Cliff

Thanks, that’s fascinating! If I understand the situation correctly, it’s simply a matter of preference and custom rather than intelligibility. At the other extreme is what happens in the Arabic-speaking world, where, even though the various dialects are sometimes as different from each other as separate languages, generally one dub is used for the whole region (usually in the Egyptian dialect, which is widely understood because of exposure to Egyptian media).
Very interesting! Somewhat similar is the fact that the dub for Latin America is basically a Mexican dub as the whole region is used to television and movies from Mexico, but any dub would be intelligible. In terms of grammar, there are small differences (the 'vosotros' informal plural of 'you' is not used in Latin America, while in Uruguay, Paraguay, & Argentina they mostly use the 'vos' instead of the 'tu' conjugation for the singular 'you', for example), but everyone understands all of the different conjugations. The 'vos' form is also mostly used in Central America, the Mexican state of Chiapas, Caribbean parts of Colombia and probably elsewhere but 'tu' is also sometimes used, so I get the impression Latin Americans are kind of accustomed to linguistic diversity. Probably the same in the Arab-speaking world!

I feel Spain is a bit of a case apart, though. I remember going to Mexico City with a Spanish friend and Mexicans would sometimes look at her with no idea of what she was saying when she would ask for things in shops!

LittleBuford

I wonder, too, if it’s because of a lack of consensus about what certain accents connote. Pretty much all speakers of English share similar associations with a range of accents that feature frequently in film and TV: a posh English accent (RP) suggests class, erudition, or villainy; a New York accent is direct and no-nonsense; a broad Australian accent comes across as friendly and unpretentious, etc. Unless I’m mistaken, such a situation does not map onto Spanish. Speakers of Latin American varieties do not, for example, regard the Castilian variety as prestigious, so there is no obvious candidate for what would serve as the “posh” accent in a single Spanish dub. (@Sir_Cliff, please correct me if I’m wrong.)

Sir_Cliff

I wonder, too, if it’s because of a lack of consensus about what certain accents connote. Pretty much all speakers of English share similar associations with a range of accents that feature frequently in film and TV: a posh English accent (RP) suggests class, erudition, or villainy; a New York accent is direct and no-nonsense; a broad Australian accent comes across as friendly and unpretentious, etc. Unless I’m mistaken, such a situation does not map onto Spanish. Speakers of Latin American varieties do not, for example, regard the Castilian variety as prestigious, so there is no obvious candidate for what would serve as the “posh” accent in a single Spanish dub. (@Sir_Cliff, please correct me if I’m wrong.)
That's a very interesting point, and I think you're right. If you look, for example, at Jafar, Radcliffe, and Frollo, they all speak with more or less the same accent in the Spanish dubs but it's more a kind of affected Spanish than any national accent. It's kind of interesting to compare Governor Radcliffe in the Spanish dub of Más, Más, Más and the Latino dub of Mío, Mío, Mío (even different titles!) as in the first case he sounds *super* Castilian whereas in the Latin American version they didn't draw a comparison between Spanish and British colonisers and it's just kind of a posh/kind of British-ified generic Spanish accent.

LittleBuford

Probably the same in the Arab-speaking world!
The major difference is that the various “dialects” of Arabic are in many cases not mutually intelligible. The situation is analogous to grouping all the Romance languages together as “Latin” and considering Italian, Spanish, French, etc. mere dialects of it. Standard Arabic, which is the language of education and formal media across the region (equivalent to Latin proper in my analogy), is never used in ordinary spoken communication except by Arabic speakers whose dialects are mutually unintelligible. There are religious and cultural reasons for the continued attachment to the idea of Arabic as a single language and the resistance to codifying its spoken varieties into languages in their own right. The one exception is Maltese.

LittleBuford

That's a very interesting point, and I think you're right. If you look, for example, at Jafar, Radcliffe, and Frollo, they all speak with more or less the same accent in the Spanish dubs but it's more a kind of affected Spanish than any national accent. It's kind of interesting to compare Governor Radcliffe in the Spanish dub of Más, Más, Más and the Latino dub of Mío, Mío, Mío (even different titles!) as in the first case he sounds *super* Castilian whereas in the Latin American version they didn't draw a comparison between Spanish and British colonisers and it's just kind of a posh/kind of British-ified generic Spanish accent.
Very interesting and insightful. Thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom