Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Sir_Cliff

The major difference is that the various “dialects” of Arabic are in many cases not mutually intelligible. The situation is analogous to grouping all the Romance languages together as “Latin” and considering Italian, Spanish, French, etc. mere dialects of it. Standard Arabic, which is the language of education and formal media across the region (equivalent to Latin proper in my analogy), is never used in ordinary spoken communication except by Arabic speakers whose dialects are mutually unintelligible. There are religious and cultural reasons for the continued attachment to the idea of Arabic as a single language and the resistance to codifying its spoken varieties into languages in their own right. The one exception is Maltese.
Very interesting! Particularly interesting in that context that the Egyptian dialect seems to have managed to establish some kind of position through popular culture as mutually intelligible. Don't know if this is taking it too far in this case, but it does seem to indicate the importance of soft power in international politics.

BrianLo

I posted this article, which seems to be entirely relevant to the thread topic, multiple times, but it seems to have been lost in the purge:

I know, it does not fit the narrative that TLM has made its general break even scenario.

BrianLo

So instead of positive cash flow in the tens of millions, they use internal accounting tricks to pay itself so make it seem like a certain film turned a profit?

Yay?

I don't understand the streaming losses. If 150 million subscribe and pay an average of $7/month, that's over $12 billion a year. What is the overhead operating cost of maintaining the streaming service, especially considering they own all the rights to what they put on D+ ?

This is important, D+ does not lack for revenue. We can't have it both ways, either the studio 'lies' that D+ is profitable by putting all of its content on the platform for free, or it 'lies' that the movies are profitable by paying them out of D+ revenue.

However, the money cannot evaporate and go to neither. In this case D+ is not profitable because it pays the Studios for its content. So people need to accept that aspect though it flies against the desire for the studio output to be losing more money than it is. Again, if that were the case D+ is actually profitable. Which it isn't, because Netflix cannot just give itself content from studios for free.

Sir_Cliff

They are now predicting a larger opening weekend for Barbie than Mermaid.

How in the world is that possible?
This Barbie move is kind of a phenomenon. It may speak to the crowds I move in, but I haven't heard people talk this much about a movie in quite a while!

I could certainly see it falling short of expectations if the reviews end up being lacklustre and I do suspect it won't exactly be another Mario Bros, but the marketing has certainly been on point.

TP2000

This Barbie move is kind of a phenomenon. It may speak to the crowds I move in, but I haven't heard people talk this much about a movie in quite a while!

I could certainly see it falling short of expectations if the reviews end up being lacklustre and I do suspect it won't exactly be another Mario Bros, but the marketing has certainly been on point.

I caught on to it about three weeks ago, but for the first week I was too shy to say anything about it because, for Godsakes, it was Barbie.

Then after the first week of being in love with the Barbie movie trailers, I was confident enough that this was a pop culture phenomenon and I went on record here in another part of the forum saying as much.

Luckily, just over a week ago, I convinced my extended family to all go see it with me in late July. It only took one viewing of one of the trailers for the women in the family to say "Hell, yes", and then it took the men in my family watching the second trailer to say "Oh, geez, this is awesome. I can't wait for this one."

After several years of all of us being pitted against each other by politicians and alleged "leaders", there's something about Barbie that hits at all our shared humanity. This is a movie that's going to do very, very well. I knew it the moment I watched the trailer. Barbie is going to be the hit of the summer, financially and socially.

I'm going on record saying Barbie will likely have a bigger global box office than The Little Mermaid did this summer.

Sir_Cliff

I caught on to it about three weeks ago, but for the first week I was too shy to say anything about it because, for Godsakes, it was Barbie.

Then after the first week of being in love with the Barbie movie trailers, I was confident enough that this was a pop culture phenomenon and I went on record here in another part of the forum saying as much.

Luckily, just over a week ago, I convinced my extended family to all go see it with me in late July. It only took one viewing of one of the trailers for the women in the family to say "Hell, yes", and then it took the men in my family watching the second trailer to say "Oh, geez, this is awesome. I can't wait for this one."

After several years of all of us being pitted against each other by politicians and alleged "leaders", there's something about Barbie that hits at all our shared humanity. This is a movie that's going to do very, very well. I knew it the moment I watched the trailer. Barbie is going to be the hit of the summer, financially and socially.

I'm going on record saying Barbie will likely have a bigger global box office than The Little Mermaid did this summer.
I just hope the film is as good as the marketing! It certainly seems to have the potential to appeal across all sorts of demographics in a way that few films manage and I think I'll see it whatever the reviews say, though part of me wonders whether I just live in a bubble world where this is the sort of film hits the spot!

Tha Realest

Barbie benefits in that it feels fresh and original and has cast actual, known movie stars

DKampy

I just hope the film is as good as the marketing! It certainly seems to have the potential to appeal across all sorts of demographics in a way that few films manage and I think I'll see it whatever the reviews say, though part of me wonders whether I just live in a bubble world where this is the sort of film hits the spot!
agreed. The marketing has been spot on…Barbie now sits at one of my most anticipated movies of the year…. I would of never thought that when we were still in 2022

Animaniac93-98

I know, it does not fit the narrative that TLM has made its general break even scenario.

Even if the film breaks even when other revenue outlets are accounted for, I think the expectation was always that the movie was going to turn a profit with box office receipts alone, as so many of these live-action remakes have.

I doubt Disney is thrilled that this movie will make less than $600 million worldwide, given the hype and high expectations they had.

Phroobar

Barbie benefits in that it feels fresh and original and has cast actual, known movie stars
It feels that way except we've seen this kind of fish out of water thing before. The Brady Bunch movie comes to mind. There are others. Still it has Will Ferrell and they lampoon Mattel. It feels good and stupid.

The movie is my sister's Star Wars. She was obsessed with Barbie as a girl. She is taking the kids to see it first day. They have no clue who Barbie is.

Sir_Cliff

Even if the film breaks even when other revenue outlets are accounted for, I think the expectation was always that the movie was going to turn a profit with box office receipts alone, as so many of these live-action remakes have.

I doubt Disney is thrilled that this movie will make less than $600 million worldwide, given the hype and high expectations they had.
Unfortunately, it seems to have gotten to the point that talking about the success or failure of this film becomes a discussion about other issues that, at least in my case, make me lean toward wanting it to be a success.

In general, though, I would be happy to see the remakes become less of a sure thing at the box office as it might make them put a little more thought into if and how they do them. The announcement of a Moana remake seems like a jumping the shark moment where they started remaking their films before anyone had a chance to develop any nostalgia for them, and I am hoping that turns out to be the case rather than people throwing money at Disney as they did with the previous remakes which will just encourage them to steam right ahead with an Encanto remake.

CaptainMickey

At Least the Tie-ins have been a Hit! even if the movie isn't...

McDonald’s sparks outrage with new ‘The Little Mermaid’ food packaging

TLMPackaging.jpg

McDonald’s is selling its apple slices using plastic packaging with “The Little Mermaid” branding on it, a move the fast-food giant is known to replicate with many major Disney films.

A Redditor posted a picture of the packaging to highlight the irony, considering how so much plastic wrapping ends up in our oceans, writing, “One apple slice in this plastic baggie, advertising a movie about the ocean…”

Much of the plastic used to wrap the products we purchase, including items from fast food restaurants, ends up under the sea, where the animated Disney classic “The Little Mermaid” takes place.
Today, 80% of all marine pollution is plastic, with around 9 to 11 million tons of plastic ending up in our oceans each year, according to UNESCO’s Ocean Literacy initiative. This garbage can stay there, in some form, for anywhere between 500 and 1000 years, and even when it eventually breaks down, it still becomes microplastics, which make their way into our food supply and put us at risk.

While a large percentage of the plastic trash in our oceans comes from fishing nets, an estimated 44% comes from takeout. Meanwhile, 914 marine species, including whales, dolphins, sea turtles, and all those depicted in “The Little Mermaid,” are known to ingest or get tangled in plastic.

Redditors had no shortage of opinions on the McDoanld’s product, with one saying: “I played airsoft using biodegradable bb’s over 15 years ago, still wondering why biodegradable plastics aren’t more popular in everyday things.”

Another added, “These apple slice packs are standard in Happy Meals. McDonald’s sells 4.1 million Happy Meals a day. Imagine 4.1 million of these wrappers in a pile.”

“Surprised nobody has sued them for false advertising as it says apple slices and there’s only one apple in the bag,” commented a third.

Speaking of fiction and fantasy, this Redditor had a creative idea: “If only we could develop an apple that grows its own packaging.”

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

In general, though, I would be happy to see the remakes become less of a sure thing at the box office as it might make them put a little more thought into if and how they do them. The announcement of a Moana remake seems like a jumping the shark moment where they started remaking their films before anyone had a chance to develop any nostalgia for them, and I am hoping that turns out to be the case rather than people throwing money at Disney as they did with the previous remakes which will just encourage them to steam right ahead with an Encanto remake.

I agree and feel the Moana announcement had a tone of desperation to it (same with Toy Story 5)

With so many other Disney properties with potential to be remade (Black Cauldron, Black Hole, Gargoyles as a Disney+ series, Atlantis etc), going for "safe bets" like Lilo and Stitch is leading to underwhelming results.

Ghost93

Unfortunately, it seems to have gotten to the point that talking about the success or failure of this film becomes a discussion about other issues that, at least in my case, make me lean toward wanting it to be a success.

The Moana remake is the worst idea to come out of Disney in a long time. AT LEAST wait 25 years before remaking it so there is some nostalgia factor.

TP2000

Isn't it weird? Again, the first time I saw the trailer almost a month ago I was instantly excited for it. And I don't know why. 🤣

I'm a grown man. I never owned Barbies. My younger sister owned Barbies, but I did my best to ignore her back then. I am a lifelong practicing homosexual, of course, but Ken was never my type. Even at Last Call. So I have no deep emotional attachment to Barbie, other than her significance in American pop culture. I suggested to the family two weeks ago that we all go see this movie, and they hadn't heard of it, so I insisted they watch the trailer. We've now got me, my younger sister and her 60-ish husband, and their two young adult sons and their fun young wives all excited to see this movie. It's almost weird.

But when something hits the cultural zeitgeist, you just have to enjoy it.

I also think that Disney/Pixar movies should be as aesthetically colorful as Barbie seems to be. The color palette is spot on Mattel, but it just seems so fresh and upbeat and sparkling. Lately, Disney and Pixar seem to want to go realistic aesthetically, and that's not as fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom