Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

DKampy

Really? I guess it could get close or over a billion. It is THE Princess of the waking sleeping beauty Disney Reinsaince era, so it certainly has the cross generational appeal.

As far as one of the few.

I don't know. I think Fast Ten, Super Mario Brothers and Indy 5 will hit over a billion as well. That is three right there, this would be a fourth.

Guardians' finale of VOl 3 may even hit a billion.
Will see what happens…I did not say Little Mermaid would be the only one, but I do think it could have the best shot

I also think Guardians and Mario have a good shot

I am less sure of Fast Ten…I feel as if that franchise is beginning to wane…The last one only got over 700 million…with many fans saying it was too over the top…I have never seen any of the movies except for the first one…but from what I have heard it gets more ridiculous with each passing movie and if the last one was too much for fans I am not sure it will but if word of mouth is good it’s possible

A franchise I am more of a fan of…Indy 5…I am not sure it will either…I am exited for it…I am just not sure I sense that same excitement in others…and many people did not care for Indy’s last outing…once again it could depend on word of mouth

celluloid

I am less sure of Fast Ten…I feel as if that franchise is beginning to wane…The last one only got over 700 million…with many fans saying it was too over the top…I have never seen any of the movies except for the first one…but from what I have heard it gets more ridiculous with each passing movie and if the last one was too much for fans I am not sure it will but if word of mouth is good it’s possible

I keep thinking Fast would Wane too, but it has been over the top for like six films now. I think the only reason you saw the last one do 700 million world wide is it usually does very well in the US and China markets and it came out in the midst of really low pandemic performances. I mean, it sitll did 700 with that. They are Universal's Superhero movies disguised as car movies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Live-action remakes of feature animations tend to do very well at the Box Office if they're just a remake.

If, however, they significantly change the story, then sometimes they do well, and sometimes they don't.

Ghost93

Live-action remakes of feature animations tend to do very well at the Box Office if they're just a remake.

If, however, they significantly change the story, then sometimes they do well, and sometimes they don't.
I think Disney didn't realize how popular the original 1998 Mulan was with millennials, which is why they probably felt they could change it up as much as they did. Critics at the time didn't love it as much at the first four films of the Disney Renaissance and it only did okay at the box office, but everyone I knew who grew up with it in the 90s loved it and they were not happy with the changes.

Jedijax719

The essence of Ariel is her personality, mannerisms, and overall aura. From everything I've seen and heard, Halle captures that 100%. I too had a knee-jerk reaction of surprise when I first heard about the casting. But then I grasped reality and looked into it and now I can't see anyone else in the role.

Rich T

I like the new trailer. So far, everything’s looking and sounding good. Fingers crossed that the film as a whole is filled with humor, wonder and charm. It would be great if Disney finally strikes a perfect balance between the familiar and the new with this one.

The Mom

Premium Member
The movie is based on a fairy tale - a make-believe story that is not based on anything real. Just because someone else interpreted Ariel ( She didn't even have a name in the original story - Disney gave her one) in a certain way doesn't mean that is the only way. Even if they are basing their movie on a previous animated movie.

It's all pretend!

erasure fan1

Fingers crossed that the film as a whole is filled with humor, wonder and charm. It would be great if Disney finally strikes a perfect balance between the familiar and the new with this one.
Unfortunately if I had to bet, I'd say I highly doubt it. It's a tall order to match such a beloved film. They couldn't do it with the others, so I can't see them figuring it out this time. Change to much, and people aren't happy. Don't change enough and it's a lazy rehash. Fortunately for Disney, I'm sure it will be profitable, even if it's terrible.

Jedijax719

Not sure if this is reliable or if it means anything at all other than they will be there, but it could mean they have something planned. With all the haters out there, it may be a wise choice to promote it with a trailer in front of kids and their families who are more likely to see it.

tcool123

The special effects look horrible

Either Disney is overworking the special effects people or they are getting the wrong people for the jobs.
I think when compared to Way of Water it just looks worse however with that said they may patch some things up? This was the case with Beauty and the Beast the teasers weren’t the final product. That said the teaser we have now looks fine, but could just be because we cant truly focus on one particular scene.

TBH this is my issue with movies heavily reliant on CGI they sometimes look bad and may age poorly. Not sure how else you would go about a Little Mermaid live action film though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom