Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Jedijax719

Don't get too excited. We should all take bets to see how long it takes to get out of control and get locked again.
There's a way to keep it from being closed. Whenever someone says anything that may be considered racist or sexist, others should report that person instead of actively engaging in a cat fight.

As far as theater vs D+, this is a movie that has been long-awaited by those who enjoyed other remakes (most of which have done very very well). So there's no rationale in pulling the plug on TLM. This rounds out the main renaissance films so it is right at "home" in the theaters.

Ghost93

I think Halle Bailey will be a great Ariel. Not optimistic about Melissa McCarthy as Ursula, but am hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think the visuals are TERRIBLE, but after Avatar: The Way of Water set the bar so high, the underwater sequences here look pretty underwhelming in comparison.

Brer Panther

I'm sure Halle will do a great job, but there's still a fifty-percent chance that she'll be the one bright spot in an otherwise awful remake of a beloved Disney movie.

Y'know, like John Oliver, Billy Eichner, and Seth Rogen in the Lion King remake.

Jedijax719

I think Halle Bailey will be a great Ariel. Not optimistic about Melissa McCarthy as Ursula, but am hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think the visuals are TERRIBLE, but after Avatar: The Way of Water set the bar so high, the underwater sequences here look pretty underwhelming in comparison.
But the thing is that everyone can say that about every movie outside of Avatar. Avatar has a monopoly on the tech and visuals it uses. It's unfortunately not a fair base of comparison.

CaptainMickey

If fans see the original as "My favorite movie", that is going to be a very high standard to be compared to.

What I found really interesting is the bigger the fan is of the original movie, the less they usually like or downright dislike the remake. For example from past releases, I noticed a lot of fans that LOVED the animated Mulan and Beauty and the Beast (it was their favorite!) hated the remakes. I thought they would be all over the new remakes, but it was the opposite. Why?

That makes me think the average fans of The Little Mermaid will enjoy the remake. It will probably make money. But the superfans of the animated Little mermaid will be comparing the movie to perfection, and that's a tough standard. They love every song, every scene, every character. They know every word before they say it. Those fans will be hard to please. I hope the new movie is good. It's going to have to be excellent in every way to live up to it's originals standard. Otherwise, why bother making it, we already have an excellent version. If the film is average or not good, it will get crushed. And we all know Disney has had a hard time with excellent lately.

Ghost93

But the thing is that everyone can say that about every movie outside of Avatar. Avatar has a monopoly on the tech and visuals it uses. It's unfortunately not a fair base of comparison.
My hope is that Avatar raises the bar for future movies. Unfortunately, The Little Mermaid and Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom were already filmed.

However, perfect visual effects aren't needed for me to enjoy a movie. I'm sure the Little Mermaid remake will at least be watchable since it has a strong story and songs. I felt similarly about the Beauty and the Beast remake. It had a lot of problems, but the story itself was so inherently good that it was still enjoyable even if it didn't live up to the animated original.

Ghost93

If fans see the original as "My favorite movie", that is going to be a very high standard to be compared to.

What I found really interesting is the bigger the fan is of the original movie, the less they usually like or downright dislike the remake. For example from past releases, I noticed a lot of fans that LOVED the animated Mulan and Beauty and the Beast (it was their favorite!) hated the remakes. I thought they would be all over the new remakes, but it was the opposite. Why?

That makes me think the average fans of The Little Mermaid will enjoy the remake. It will probably make money. But the superfans of the animated Little mermaid will be comparing the movie to perfection, and that's a tough standard. They love every song, every scene, every character. They know every word before they say it. Those fans will be hard to please. I hope the new movie is good. It's going to have to be excellent in every way to live up to it's originals standard. Otherwise, why bother making it, we already have an excellent version. If the film is average or not good, it will get crushed. And we all know Disney has had a hard time with excellent lately.
That's sort of how I felt about the Lion King remake. It was a mediocre film on its own, but since I love the original so much I DESPISED it. 2/10. I preferred Cats (2019).

Jedijax719

My hope is that Avatar raises the bar for future movies. Unfortunately, The Little Mermaid and Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom were already filmed.

However, perfect visual effects aren't needed for me to enjoy a movie. I'm sure the Little Mermaid remake will at least be watchable since it has a strong story and songs. I felt similarly about the Beauty and the Beast remake. It had a lot of problems, but the story itself was so inherently good that it was still enjoyable even if it didn't live up to the animated original.
Yes, we cannot do anything about movies already finished. Very true. However, when studios are refusing to put out and greenlight new material (except for on streaming), it makes it hard for that bar to be met. What makes it even more difficult is that no studio is willing to fork out the dough that would be needed to meet the technological standards of Avatar. So, in terms of theaters, we get what we can when we can get it.

Ghost93

Yes, we cannot do anything about movies already finished. Very true. However, when studios are refusing to put out and greenlight new material (except for on streaming), it makes it hard for that bar to be met. What makes it even more difficult is that no studio is willing to fork out the dough that would be needed to meet the technological standards of Avatar. So, in terms of theaters, we get what we can when we can get it.
I think it's less "the dough" and more "the time." James Cameron filmed Avatar 2 and 3 in 2017 and spent four years (subtract a year for COVID) working on the visual effects for Avatar 2. But when you have something like Marvel that requires all the movies to be connected and four releases a year, you don't have the time to make the CGI look that good.

GimpYancIent

Disney has made money off the Live Action Remakes thus far. The returns have varied widely but it is fair to say money has been made. That said, most of the Live Action remakes are actually quite forgettable. Audiences are looking for new content, fresh story lines, different characters and new music scores. The Live Action Remake concept is actually getting stale. There is still money to be made but don't hold your breath for some kind of blockbuster.

BuddyThomas

Disney has made money off the Live Action Remakes thus far. The returns have varied widely but it is fair to say money has been made. That said, most of the Live Action remakes are actually quite forgettable. Audiences are looking for new content, fresh story lines, different characters and new music scores. The Live Action Remake concept is actually getting stale. There is still money to be made but don't hold your breath for some kind of blockbuster.
Well as to fresh story lines, different characters and new music scores, Disney audiences not familiar with the Broadway musical Once on this Island will be getting just that possibly as soon as next year. Disney has optioned the show and it is currently in active development. Fun related fact - it is based on a novel by Rosa Guy called My Love, My Love, and that novel is based on….wait for it….The Little Mermaid.

LittleBuford

As I said earlier, I'm a Little Mermaid superfan. I'm not expecting to like the remake as much as I do the original film. I'll approach and (hopefully) enjoy it on its terms, just as I have the other remakes.

LittleBuford

That's sort of how I felt about the Lion King remake. It was a mediocre film on its own, but since I love the original so much I DESPISED it. 2/10. I preferred Cats (2019).
The Lion King remake was the only one I truly disliked, and not because the original holds a particularly special place in my heart.

mf1972

the only thing i was worried about is the director, rob marshall. i haven’t watched all his movies. chicago was good, but pirates was a stinker & i thought mary poplins was mediocre. hopefully he can turn that around with mermaid. as far as the live action remakes go, it can’t be as bad as pinocchio, can it? otherwise, i thought i read hercules is getting the live action treatment. i always found the disney version to be a riot, so i’m looking forward to it in the future.

Jedijax719

People spit on all of the remakes, but they forget one BIG thing I've mentioned many many times. Studios won't foot the bill for new material in the theaters. Streaming yes (to an extent), but not the theaters. Too many originals have failed and require huge budgets. Sticking to the familiar is the closest thing to guaranteed money there is. That's why we get remakes, reboots, and sequels.

I've enjoyed most of them. I thought Aladdin was great! Lion King was okay but looked more like a lion documentary. I look forward to this. I would really like to see a theatrical adaptation of Keepers of the Lost Cities or Chronicles of Prydain. But if studios won't even tough book series that are "somewhat" known but not iconic like LOTR or Potter, then what makes any of us think that they will push anything totally original?

The best happy medium is to take a known property and do something new with it. Mufasa could be that. But it's not always such a great thing (case in point: Fantastic Beasts). But Malificent on the other hand was pretty good.

DKampy

How anybody can gleam anything from this trailer about how good or bad this will be from the little bit we have seen…the most I get is that Hailey Bailey looks like she will make a good Ariel and she has a beautiful voice.

I myself have found most of the Disney live action takes on the animated movies enjoyable. The only ones I did not like were Maleficent and Pinocchio…my favs being Cruella and Beauty and the Beast. So I am looking forward to this. Also I am expecting to this to make bank…this is probably one of the few films this year that has a shot of over a billion this year

celluloid

Also I am expecting to this to make bank…this is probably one of the few films this year that has a shot of over a billion this year

Really? I guess it could get close or over a billion. It is THE Princess of the waking sleeping beauty Disney Reinsaince era, so it certainly has the cross generational appeal.

As far as one of the few.

I don't know. I think Fast Ten, Super Mario Brothers and Indy 5 will hit over a billion as well. That is three right there, this would be a fourth.

Guardians' finale of VOl 3 may even hit a billion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom