Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Phroobar

I’m not sure what the message of Barbie is. But I do know it’s had one of the best marketing campaigns I’ve seen in many many years.
Warner Brothers did a bait and switch. They marketed it as a mad cap fish out of water toy adventure suitable for kids and it turned out to be something very different. I wonder when the word gets out how it will affect sales.

mickEblu

OK. That was my point. You enjoyed both of those movies despite the damming reviews of them on the website you shared, which suggests that you would do well to assess other films for yourself rather than simply trust what the website is telling you.

The movie can be enjoyable and still have elements that I find unnecessary or annoying. In Mario’s case it was a lighthearted/ fun and the “woke elements” were much lower/ less obvious than other recent animated movies so I was happy with the change in the right direction.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was @Disney Irish . Sorry about that @mickEblu .

I'll take that bet. But we have to define "out gross", you talking just domestic or worldwide?

Note its tracking lower than TLM right now in both domestic and worldwide.

Yes it was me and we decided it was domestic only. And I'll stand behind it still, as I always do with all my bets. It still has $141M to go to catch up to TLMs current domestic. Maybe it'll do it, who knows. As I've said this whole weekend we'll have to see what the 2nd and 3rd weekend drops are for Barbie before we can tell if it has any kind of legs or not.

Since it was a gentleman's bet with nothing on the line I'm not rooting one way or the other.

Phroobar

Yes it was me and we decided it was domestic only. And I'll stand behind it still, as I always do with all my bets. It still has $141M to go to catch up to TLMs current domestic. Maybe it'll do it, who knows. As I've said this whole weekend we'll have to see what the 2nd and 3rd weekend drops are for Barbie before we can tell if it has any kind of legs or not.

Since it was a gentleman's bet with nothing on the line I'm not rooting one way or the other.
Totally agree with you.

TP2000

I never suggested they do. My whole point was that people should decide for themselves rather than follow what some ideologically driven website is telling them to think.

Agreed. But I have to think that all 1,647 people (deducting one view for yourself) that looked at that website's review of Mermaid can make up their own mind about how to spend their money on entertainment.

For example, I often listen to Ben Shapiro on the car radio when running afternoon errands. I often agree with him on issues. But he came out this weekend and railed against the Barbie movie. And I disagree with him on that, and have 7 tickets to Barbie waiting for me at the theater later this week and I can't wait to see Barbie. 😍 But I can still tune in to Ben Shapiro a few times a week and listen to what he has to say.

I have a brain, I am an adult, I do not blindly follow what other people say just because they are famous.

More information is better than less information. Free speech is better than policed speech. Even if it's only from 0.0005% of the population.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Agreed. But I have to think that all 1,647 people (deducting one view for yourself) that looked at that website's review of Mermaid can make up their own mind about how to spend their money on entertainment.

For example, I often listen to Ben Shapiro on the car radio when running afternoon errands. I often agree with him on issues. But he came out this weekend and railed against the Barbie movie. And I disagree with him on that, and have 7 tickets to Barbie waiting for me at the theater later this week and I can't wait to see Barbie. 😍 But I can still tune in to Ben Shapiro a few times a week and listen to what he has to say.

I have a brain, I am an adult, I do not blindly follow what other people say just because they are famous.

More information is better than less information. Free speech is better than policed speech. Even if it's only from 0.0005% of the population.
I think you give the average population too much credit sometimes. Sure they are well meaning people overall but in the end most are blind followers to some ideology.

Some say the same about us Disney Fans, so that sort of proves my point. ;)

TP2000

Tendentious and sensationalised “information” is seldom informative.

I never suggested that free speech should be policed. If people want to put stock in such websites, that’s their prerogative.

But you just claimed it was biased (tenditious) and used that as a criticism. What news and information today is not biased? 🤔

Adults should have the ability to access all the opinions and points of view they want, and make their own decision.

But I still think it's hilarious that you used a website with only 1,648 views as your example of bias. Come on, you know that's funny. 🤣

LittleBuford

But you just claimed it was biased (tenditious) and used that as a criticism. What news and information today is not biased? 🤔
The word is “tendentious”. Yes, nothing is truly objective or free of bias, but some outlets are more extreme than others.

Adults should have the ability to access all the opinions and points of view they want, and make their own decision.
I never said they shouldn’t. I merely suggested that people would do better to judge a film for themselves rather than let a website do it for them.

But I still think it's hilarious that you used a website with only 1,648 views as your example of bias. Come on, you know that's funny. 🤣
I didn’t introduce the website into the conversation; it was brought up by @mickEblu, whose posts on the matter you must have read since you liked one of them. You seem to think I’m assigning some deep significance to the website, which is the very opposite of my point in (somewhat ironically) referring to it.

TP2000

The word is “tendentious”.

I'm balancing lemonade and a laptop on the patio, spelling is secondary right now.

Yes, nothing is truly objective or free of bias, but some outlets are more extreme than others.

Tell me about it. I have two old and very dear friends up in Seattle who only watched MSNBC for several years before they broke free. 🤣

I never said they shouldn’t. I merely suggested that people would do better to judge a film for themselves rather than let a website do it for them.

So what's your opinion on websites like Rotten Tomatoes then? Siskel & Ebert? The movie critic for the New York Times?

I didn’t introduce the website into the conversation; it was brought up by @mickEblu, whose posts on the matter you must have read since you liked one of them. You seem to think I’m assigning some deep significance to the website, which is the very opposite of my point in (somewhat ironically) referring to it.

I am of the opinion that at least 95% of American adults are smart and can make their own decisions on how to spend their own money based on a broad range of information sources. Little Mermaid has lost $110 Million at the box office so far this summer. That can't be the fault of obscure ratings websites with only 1,647 views. American adults and teens who buy movie tickets made those decisions on their own, using a broad array of information sources and opinions.

Mid Summer Mermaid Box Office.jpg

BrianLo

Here's where the box office stands for Little Mermaid after this weekend, and it's still deeply in the red.

With a staggeringly high production budget of $250 Million, plus a reported $140 Million global marketing budget, using the 60/40 split for domestic/overseas box office take, The Little Mermaid is currently operating at a loss of $110 Million thus far.

That overseas box office was just brutal for this film. Americans seemed to generally enjoy Mermaid, but foreigners were not impressed at all. Thus, it had no real path to profitability at the global box office. 🤔

View attachment 732406

As of the latest weekend that just ended, The Little Mermaid has lost Disney $73 Million thus far. :oops:

That's assuming the most optimistic 60/40 box office take for Domestic/Overseas and the most conservative assumption that they only spent $100 Million marketing (They reportedly actually spent $140 Million, but let's just pretend they only spent $100 Million).

You've changed your calculation again. Losses were getting too disappointingly low for you?

TP2000

You've changed your calculation again. Losses were getting too disappointingly low for you?

If you use the widely reported figure of $140 Million for a marketing budget for Mermaid, it has lost $110 Million as of today.

If you use a very optimistic figure of only $100 Million spent on marketing for Mermaid, it had lost only $73 Million earlier this month.

If you use a very optimistic figure of only $100 Million spent on marketing for Mermaid, it has lost $70 Million as of today.

Last edited:

TP2000

This fact is kinda how this started, when many of us were saying that Disney pays itself the $100M to itself, so it’s only really a $10M loss. Not including the post theatrical run as well as merchandising. This film isn’t going to be the end of Disney.

That's the part that makes me chuckle.

Disney applies a magical Disney+ Gift Card of $100 Million to Mermaid and it covers most of its box office losses.

Does Disney now buy $100 Million Disney+ Gift Cards for all of its movies? Or does only Mermaid get a free gift card to cover its losses?

And if so, where do they get all that money for all those gift cards? And is that why Disney+ loses at least a Billion dollars every year? 🤔

chart.png

Last edited:

LittleBuford

So what's your opinion on websites like Rotten Tomatoes then? Siskel & Ebert? The movie critic for the New York Times?
I use review aggregate websites to help me pick a film if I can’t decide between options. Only rarely do I read full reviews, and never do I look to a particular reviewer or outlet to guide me in my opinions.

I am of the opinion that at least 95% of American adults are smart and can make their own decisions on how to spend their own money based on a broad range of information sources. Little Mermaid has lost $110 Million at the box office so far this summer. That can't be the fault of obscure ratings websites with only 1,647 views. American adults and teens who buy movie tickets made those decisions on their own, using a broad array of information sources and opinions.
I repeat: “You seem to think I’m assigning some deep significance to the website, which is the very opposite of my point in (somewhat ironically) referring to it.”

In other words, I was poking fun at the website, not holding it up as something consequential or impactful. I’m not sure why you keep implying otherwise.

MagicHappens1971

Disney applies a magical Disney+ Gift Card of $100 Million to Mermaid and it covers most of its box office losses.

Does Disney now buy $100 Million Disney+ Gift Cards for all of its movies?

And if so, where do they get all that money for all those gift cards? And is that why Disney+ loses at least a Billion dollars every year? 🤔

chart.png
We’ve all gone back and forth about this, it’s the same as if Disney were to sell this film to Netflix, they would get paid, roughly $100M. So Disney Studios pays Disney+ for the film. It’s like when Disney Studios pays DPEP for a M&G to promote a new film, or the like.

It’s not some new made up concept or something that Disney is doing to sneak around.

BrianLo

Does Disney now buy $100 Million Disney+ Gift Cards for all of its movies?

chart.png

Do we literally need to repeat the same conversation in this thread every weekend?

Please produce a graph for D+ revenue and demonstrate to us where exactly you think that money 'goes'. Except you refuse to do that.

Edit:
Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 4.34.23 PM.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom