Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

DKampy

I'm not saying 19 Million viewers is nothing to sniff at. I watch videos on YouTube of guys mowing overgrown lawns for free for poor widows in the South that only get 2 or 3 Million views.

But in the big ball game, and for those of us older folks who remember how big of a deal the Oscars used to be in the 70's, 80's and 90's (especially us confirmed bachelors who considered the Oscars to be the "Gay Superbowl" and remember fondly blowout Oscars parties in the latter 20th century that were nearly Bacchanalian in their scope and impact), the Oscars viewership has crashed into a tiny percentage of Americans.

In the 1980's up to 25% of the country watched the Oscars. And everyone talked about it the next day.

In 2023, just under 6% of the country watched the Oscars. And hardly anyone talks about it the next day.

It will be interesting to see where the Oscars viewership lands in March, 2024. If trends hold, perhaps only 5% of the country will tune in. 🫤
We will see what happens, but the last couple of years the ratings improved

TP2000

We will see what happens, but the last couple of years the ratings improved

They did, but only because they were still rebounding from the Covid-Closure of nearly the entire movie industry in 2021, when the Oscars did that weird virtual socially distanced ceremony thing with almost no pizazz or entertainment. Only 10 Million Americans tuned in to the Oscars in the depressing Covid year of '21, less than 3% of Americans.

Things rebounded from that non-year in '22 and '23, but the trend line over the past 10 years is still firmly in place. Downward.

Clear Trendline.jpg

Willmark

The Academy Awards is still always my most hyped tv event of the year for me.. wonder which group I belong in….perhaps film nerd… I do like movies of any genre if it’s good, but I still feel there are those who are more knowledgeable about movies than me

I still feel Oscar nominations still can make a difference…it’s not the Oscar’s that are dying it is cable TV… the Academy awards are still the 2nd most watched Television event of the year and even if people do not watch live… they watch the clips later on YouTube… I remember reading articles about how Everything Everywhere became a water cooler show and became one of the most rented movies despite moving the rental price from 5.99 to 19.99…I remember seeing To Leslie one of the most rented films when Andrea Riseborough was a surprise nomination
2nd most watched?

Tha Realest

The Academy Awards is still always my most hyped tv event of the year for me.. wonder which group I belong in….perhaps film nerd… I do like movies of any genre if it’s good, but I still feel there are those who are more knowledgeable about movies than me

I still feel Oscar nominations still can make a difference…it’s not the Oscar’s that are dying it is cable TV… the Academy awards are still the 2nd most watched Television event of the year and even if people do not watch live… they watch the clips later on YouTube… I remember reading articles about how Everything Everywhere became a water cooler show and became one of the most rented movies despite moving the rental price from 5.99 to 19.99…I remember seeing To Leslie one of the most rented films when Andrea Riseborough was a surprise nomination
2nd most watched? Try 77th.

1690020017164.png

Animaniac93-98

Little Mermaid's box office reminds me of Oz the Great and Powerful. That did well in the US with about $235 million total, but fell just short of $500 million worldwide and was ultimately considered a disappointment because of its massive budget.

Now Little Mermaid will soon cross $300 million in the US, but fail to hit $600 million worldwide.

The major difference being Mermaid's merch sales helping to elevate its overall profitability.

mickEblu

So I might just win my bet with @mickEblu that Barbie makes more domestically than the Little Mermaid.

Opening weekend Barbie brought in $155m while the Little Mermaid brought in $95m in it's opening weekend.
Barbie needs to beat $296m and it is half way there already.

Lol I don’t recall that bet. Are you sure you have the right guy?

Last edited:

TP2000

Here's where the box office stands for Little Mermaid after this weekend, and it's still deeply in the red.

With a staggeringly high production budget of $250 Million, plus a reported $140 Million global marketing budget, using the 60/40 split for domestic/overseas box office take, The Little Mermaid is currently operating at a loss of $110 Million thus far.

That overseas box office was just brutal for this film. Americans seemed to generally enjoy Mermaid, but foreigners were not impressed at all. Thus, it had no real path to profitability at the global box office. 🤔

Mid Summer Mermaid Box Office.jpg

wtyy21

Now Little Mermaid will soon cross $300 million in the US, but fail to hit $600 million worldwide.
We must not forget that in South Korea (and maybe China), TLM (which deemed flop in these countries) was surpassed by Elemental. Elemental had grossed $37.7M in Korea as opposed to just $5M for The Little Mermaid.

We may not surprise that TLM's overseas box office might be surpassed by Elemental (depending on Japan's release this August).

TP2000

So I might just win my bet with @mickEblu that Barbie makes more domestically than the Little Mermaid.

Opening weekend Barbie brought in $155m while the Little Mermaid brought in $95m in it's opening weekend.
Barbie needs to beat $296m and it is half way there already.
Fascinating, isn't it?

Lol I don’t recall that bet. Are you sure you have the right guy?

Just take the bet, because it's a really interesting comparison of two female-centered movies in the same summer. I'll pay for your betting losses by Labor Day in churros and Genie+, I promise.

Just look at that overseas haul for Barbie from its debut weekend. I had mentioned in the Box Office thread that I had no idea if Barbie was a thing for little girls in foreign countries, but apparently Mattel has been selling that All-American girl all over the world and foreigners definitely have a point of reference for her and her brand. Fascinating.

But my gosh, that overseas box office for Mermaid in the last two months is just... bizarrely bad.

Ladies Cage Match.jpg

mickEblu

Fascinating, isn't it?

Just take the bet, because it's a really interesting comparison of two female-centered movies in the same summer. I'll pay for your betting losses by Labor Day in churros and Genie+, I promise.

Just look at that overseas haul for Barbie from its debut weekend. I had mentioned in the Box Office thread that I had no idea if Barbie was a thing for little girls in foreign countries, but apparently Mattel has been selling that All-American girl all over the world and foreigners definitely have a point of reference for her and her brand. Fascinating.

But my gosh, that overseas box office for Mermaid in the last two months is just... bizarrely bad.

View attachment 732409

Hahah. Take the bet that Mermaid will do better than Barbie? I mean maybe if you gave me 100 to 1 odds?

Phroobar

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom