Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Californian Elitist

And even that film had pandering in it. Look how it handled the character of Elizabeth Swann, a pampered governor's daughter, who someone was also a master swordswoman, kickass fighter, and knew all about how to sail a pirate ship. Did any of that make any narrative sense? No. But that wasn't important to the writers of that film. What was important was Mary Sue I Am Woman Hear Me Roar!

Truly, I love the Black Pearl movie. But I always fast-forward through Elizabeth. She damn near ruins the film for me. Judy Hopps she ain't.
I disagree. She may have been pampered, but it’s not like she enjoyed it, nor was it her character. From the beginning, she comes off as someone who doesn’t exactly fit into her respective society.

We’re not talking Cher from Clueless here.

Wendy Pleakley

I think it is unfair to black people in general to keep giving them raceswapped characters. It feels like they are just getting hand-me-downs. They deserve to have their own original characters.

See my previous comment.

Every major fairy tale has been adapted by Disney with predominantly white leads.

"Go make your own original character" after establishing every major character as white is insensitive at best.

BuddyThomas

A point that everyone prefers to dance around. Be original, creative and stand out.
They ARE being original, creative, and standing out. Being unoriginal would be doing exactly the same thing all over again.

Ya know, they didn't just audition black actresses for this role. Perhaps they simply cast the person who gave the best audition.

brb1006

Not when it comes to the live action remakes. They are all the same. Hit all the favorite story beats, add a couple things to make it look like you aren't just pooping out a nostalgia driven cash grab. Then repeat with the next classic film. I hate to say I actually prefer the direct to video garbage they used to put out. At least they were original stories.
Hey Bambi II was great!

GimpYancIent

See my previous comment.

Every major fairy tale has been adapted by Disney with predominantly white leads.

"Go make your own original character" after establishing every major character as white is insensitive at best.
No. Every major fairy tale has not been adapted by Disney to anything because story telling (i.e. fairy tales) is never ending. The only limits are in the human mind. I see a lack of creativity, imagination and disrespect of the audience / public.

GimpYancIent

They ARE being original, creative, and standing out. Being unoriginal would be doing exactly the same thing all over again.

Ya know, they didn't just audition black actresses for this role. Perhaps they simply cast the person who gave the best audition.
Not being original but lazy and non-creative. Same story just with people not animation or a mix there of. How about a fresh story?

GimpYancIent

Now you're talking about something entirely different. They're making fresh stories too, but most of you on here don't like any of those either.
Don't exclude yourself. You are right here with us posting, not outside looking in as a third party and definitely not on some high perch looking down.

DKampy

I am a movie guy….I will see just about any type of movie if it is good from a small independent to a huge blockbuster…I can tell you the last few years I have seen plenty of original films that should have done better, but people did not go see them…. While the Disney remakes have had profits over a billion…Studios only have 1 agenda to make money… you want original movies…go see original movies

People are cheering that Barbarian made 10 million opening weekend…it should have made more

Brer Panther

I think it’s unfair to put any actress in a role she shouldn’t be in. Disney knows the flack she was going to get for not looking like Ariel. But they did it anyways, because they wanted to check off boxes.
I don't have a problem with Ariel not being white, but I have the uneasy feeling that they race-swapped Ariel simply because if people/critics didn't like it, they'd all just be brushed off as racists (like how the folks who made that Ghostbusters remake brushed off those that hated the film as sexists).
Ya know, they didn't just audition black actresses for this role.
Well, uh, actually... from what I've heard, before Halle was cast they also apparently wanted Keke Palmer or Zendaya for the part. Hailey Kilgore was also in the running. From my understanding, only black actresses were considered. Not even any other ethnicities. But I could be wrong.

Personally, I'm far more iffy on Melissa McCarthy as Ursula.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hey Bambi II was great!
1663194846815.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom