Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

ellie-badge

I'm really curious about this, too.

Who out there is still buying DVDs? I watch everything online now on Amazon or Netflix or Hulu. We have all kinds of movies on demand with our cable too. The only DVDs I'd ever think about buying are for older movies that are not on streaming yet.

I'd much rather have a digital copy than to have a DVD laying around for the cat or dog to get ahold of.

I buy DVDs solely for the special features on the disc... otherwise I get my movies by, ahem, other means.

I'd rather do without a Cars Land clone as well even though the new expansion looks wonderful. I just think that Cars Land at California Adventure is the crown jewel of what makes that park really special now. No need to just copy it. I say remove Lights, Motor, Action! without question to make way for new attractions. The sky is the limit with what you could put in that area. The Great Movie Ride could definitely utilize some new scenes in it. Expand Pixar Place with the long rumored Monsters Inc. Coaster, put in a thrilling 3D Incredibles attraction and do a complete refurb of Pizza Planet to really match the film's version of it. Leave the MuppetVision 3D film untouched as it was Jim Henson's last project he worked on. I'm all for refurbing the queue area and the outside of the attraction as well as expanding the Muppets' presence in the park completely. Update Voyage of the Little Mermaid instead of just ditching it. Disney has major plans for Little Mermaid that of course include the 3D theatrical re-release and the Blu-ray release next year so I doubt Disney would do away with a show based on the film so I'd much rather see them refurb it into something really unique again. And of course, move the hat to a non distracting location. There's definitely plenty more that can be done but I'd have to think it over.

Hmmmm.... I so agree with this. This sounds so realistic, like it could be from the mouths of WDI... Little Mermaid has seriously been needing an update for years, including the addition of some of the various advancements in live show technology. It would also be nice if they could figure out a way to make Ariel actually able to move around the stage on her own (acrobatics, possibly?). That would really light up the show for me. The crazy paintjob of the theatre and the way some of the show elements were used, it seems as if it was kinda shoved together in the first place. I suppose that when it was built, it was so fresh and new, but now it just seems terrible. I overall loved the Muppets' show, since it WAS pretty funny, and the Pizza Planet continues to annoy me at the look of it. It should look more like the one in the movie: the shape of saturn! Add an arcade with some of the famous games from the movie and you have a really real Pizza Planet!! haha...I would also love to see this Monsters Inc. Coaster that has so been rumoured...

bstiles

Disney fans seem to be our worst enemy. We have no idea what we want. If WDI gives us what we want fans will still find a way to complain about whatever they create. WDI needs to dust of plans and invent things that we never heard of so we can be suprised when we do recieve an awesome attraction. We don't need a clone from another park. Why you ask, because you already know what you're getting.

NoChesterHester

Disney fans seem to be our worst enemy. We have no idea what we want. If WDI gives us what we want fans will still find a way to complain about whatever they create. WDI needs to dust of plans and invent things that we never heard of so we can be suprised when we do recieve an awesome attraction. We don't need a clone from another park. Why you ask, because you already know what you're getting.

Quoted for truth. Give us something we don't expect.

Adam5897

I think the monsters inc coaster is long overdue. And if this were not to be added to DHS i would be dissapointed. I agree with disney suprising us with some great attractions. Its so hard to keep a secrets now

Mike K

Hey guys, been a way for sometime especially after my recent Disneyland trip which was incredible. Next Thursday, I find myself back in WDW for a week and Hollywood Studios has been at the forefront of my thoughts. I really hope that the talks of WDW getting a DCA like makeover are true. Obviously, most would agree that Hollywood Studios is the park that is most in need of such a makeover. It's time to take the seeds and spirit of what gives that park its magic and present them in new and exciting ways. The Monsters Inc. Roller Coaster is definitely an attraction that I feel we will see, it's just a matter of when. Witnessing how incredible DCA's expansion turned out, the sky is the limit with what they could at DHS. Also, after experiencing the Indiana Jones attraction at Disneyland about 5 times during my stay, I am officially a firm supporter of seeing an Indy attraction like that take up shop in DHS. What an incredibly immersive ride!

After seeing how rich and wonderful the Aladdin Musical at DCA was it got me thinking how underused the property is in the parks. The film is creeping up on its 20th anniversary and is no doubt seen as a modern classic to so many. Perhaps, an attraction similar to Soarin' where you whiz through the skies on Aladdin's carpet but utilizing new technologies that are unique to it as opposed to a xerox of Soarin' with an Aladdin backdrop? Just thinking out loud. Glad to be back on the forums again and can't wait be back in the World!

NoChesterHester

I say that they build Monstropolis, then at the end of the street is the Monsters. Inc building which houses the door coaster. :D

Eh? Eh?

Cool, but not the whole answer for sure. Monstropolis isn't that compelling as a great environment. Kind of like Chelsea with sign gags...

El Grupo

Seems like lots of the ideas being proposed include repurposing attractions from other parks and maybe an addition of an attraction or two.

I may be in the minority, but, after addressing the overall theme, I believe DHS will require a major upgrade/refurb on the level of DCA. That's well over $1 billion for what has been completed so far, and it sounds like an ambitious Phase 2 will probably be underway for that park in the next few years. That would allow multiple C and D ticket attractions, plus one or two major E ticket rides. Then DHS will be more of a full-day park and will remain competitive with IoA, which appears to be quickly sucking away guests.

And this will just be a start. Burbank will have to make a similar financial commitment to WDW overall like they did to DL in the early '00s. My understanding is that billions were spent on additions and upgrades then. Granted, this included a new park, hotels,DTD, etc. However, EPCOT, DTD and AK all need a level of attention that will require similar resources. I got to witness the changes in Anaheim first-hand after some tougher years for that property. Orlando needs and deserves the same commitment from TWDC before WDW's 50th arrives.

NoChesterHester

Hollywood Studios theme is perfect. It just needs to be executed.

"The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be."

If they actually made the park physically reflect this theme we would all flock back in droves. This is a big undertaking obviously.

Or maybe just the Monsters Inc. building itself?
I agree. Just watched Monsters Inc. today and I see many things that Disney could play a bit with. The Factory itself is a majestic building that could be done. The queue line could even zig zag through the atrium/lobby that Mike, Sulley, Celia, and even Mr. Waternoose are so often seen wandering through. The possibilities are endless on the scope of the ride elements. Scare floor... halls.... and of course, the door warehouse. Just watching the movie, you see that the door movers are basically already a rollercoaster. now, just make a coster that hangs, and you got it made....

BryceM

There are plenty of suspended coasters, but I can see it using the same technology has Pteradon Flyers at IOA, just different ride vehicles and a more exciting layout.

There are plenty of suspended coasters, but I can see it using the same technology has Pteradon Flyers at IOA, just different ride vehicles and a more exciting layout.

Oh yeah.... the old imagination is brewing the the image of this ride now, and I likey! A Suspended coaster like PF at IOA would be excellent. Of course the layout would be spun with a story (which Disney is so famous for) and it will intertwine you in the plotline, but it would be great!
Hollywood Studios theme is perfect. It just needs to be executed.

"The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be."

If they actually made the park physically reflect this theme we would all flock back in droves. This is a big undertaking obviously.

It is so crazy how they have kinda strayed from this original instilled value, which the park was designed after... I wish they would take a look at that again and redesign the park to reflect the values!The park would be worth of droves, as you said!

Adam5897

I agree. Just watched Monsters Inc. today and I see many things that Disney could play a bit with. The Factory itself is a majestic building that could be done. The queue line could even zig zag through the atrium/lobby that Mike, Sulley, Celia, and even Mr. Waternoose are so often seen wandering through. The possibilities are endless on the scope of the ride elements. Scare floor... halls.... and of course, the door warehouse. Just watching the movie, you see that the door movers are basically already a rollercoaster. now, just make a coster that hangs, and you got it made....

Mabey this could be a land now that i think of it. The mosters inc coaster, a sushi resturant (Harry Housens) like the one on the film and im sure many other ideas could be thought out for this.

RunnerEd

Pixar Place has 1 attraction, 1 snack cart, 1 merchandise kiosk, and 1 meet and greet yet Pixar itself has SO many good movies that can be made into attractions. Just my opinion but I think limiting an expansion to a single film would be a mistake. Yes, bring the door coaster for Monsters but what about a Ratatouille restaurant? Bring an Incredibles attraction but rebuild Pizza Planet like in Toy Story for a quick serve (and use the existing location for a Swedish Chef Smorgasbord). Wall-e would be a great attraction as would Brave and what about Up? I don't want Cars Land or Monstropolis. I want a fully realized Pixar Place!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm really curious about this, too.

Who out there is still buying DVDs? I watch everything online now on Amazon or Netflix or Hulu. We have all kinds of movies on demand with our cable too. The only DVDs I'd ever think about buying are for older movies that are not on streaming yet.

I'd much rather have a digital copy than to have a DVD laying around for the cat or dog to get ahold of.
DVDs? No. Blu Ray? Yes. I'd rather have a pristine physical copy than a digital download compressed to heck.

Patricia Melton

Pixar Place has 1 attraction, 1 snack cart, 1 merchandise kiosk, and 1 meet and greet yet Pixar itself has SO many good movies that can be made into attractions. Just my opinion but I think limiting an expansion to a single film would be a mistake. Yes, bring the door coaster for Monsters but what about a Ratatouille restaurant? Bring an Incredibles attraction but rebuild Pizza Planet like in Toy Story for a quick serve (and use the existing location for a Swedish Chef Smorgasbord). Wall-e would be a great attraction as would Brave and what about Up? I don't want Cars Land or Monstropolis. I want a fully realized Pixar Place!

I think one of the dumbest things that TDO has ever done is miss the opportunity to create an authentic Pizza Planet restaurant in DHS. It's such a no-brainer. People love pizza and it's served in the park anyway. Just do a theme of the place from the Pixar movies and people would LOVE it. They'd buy tee shirts and other items from there too. I'd buy an authentic Pizza Planet pizza stone, apron, pizza cutter, and plates from there in a heartbeat. I love making my own pizza and I have a dough recipe that tastes just like Papa John's and I make pizza for my family once a week. They'd go nuts if I could theme it to Pizza Planet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom