Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

DisDan

They should just go all Prince on us and just come up with an Icon for the park no name. Just so there is no more renaming needed down the road.... We can all affectionately call it TPFKATDMGMS (The Park Formerly Known As The Disney MGM Studios) or MGM for short.

EDIT: A few months back people might be suggesting we rename the park to be called BAH....but I wont go there.

216bruce

When we were there last week, many signs and CMs were saying that we were guests in Hollywoodland.
Ya' know...I just bet that it could be just that. Kinda weak, vague enough to encompass any and everything and generally underwhelming as a name. Not bad, not great...ultimately somewhat disappointing though

lazyboy97o

Disney is Disney, and unfortunately at the Corporate Level, anything is possible. after all Marvel is already being implemented on the 51% Disney owned Hong Kong Disneyland. Eventually Disney will do it and there will be legal matters but since I'm not a corporate expert at the madness that goes on at Burbank I can't really explain that. No one could have seen Disney buy out Marvel in the first place.
Disney does not own 51% of Hong Kong Disneyland and is completely irrelevant to the agreement with Universal because Universal let their global rights lapse.

Unplugged

It should Be Disney's California Adventure. After all, there are multiple Magic Kingdom's in the world. Though the big point is Pixar started in Cali, Lucas is in Cali, Hollywood is Cali, and let's not forget the piece de reisitance to so many on this board....The TCL Chinese Theater is in Hollywood. Also, the fictitious Hollywood Tower Hotel and Rockin' Roller Coaster are themed to Hollywood or at least Clifornia. So why "Disney's Florida Adventure" when there is NO Florida in the park? It's all California!

wdwfan757

It should Be Disney's California Adventure. After all, there are multiple Magic Kingdom's in the world. Though the big point is Pixar started in Cali, Lucas is in Cali, Hollywood is Cali, and let's not forget the piece de reisitance to so many on this board....The TCL Chinese Theater is in Hollywood. Also, the fictitious Hollywood Tower Hotel and Rockin' Roller Coaster are themed to Hollywood or at least Clifornia. So why "Disney's Florida Adventure" when there is NO Florida in the park? It's all California!

I agree with your overall point, but I don't know that there's ENOUGH california to name it after DCA. Carsland has a very West Coast vibe, obviously soarin, the redwood trail, grizzly river run.

I think Disney's Hollywood Adventure is probably the best compromise. It's definitely more California than Florida, there's no denying that. But it's specifically Hollywood, it's missing the rest of California that's present at the "real" DCA

Unplugged

I agree with your overall point, but I don't know that there's ENOUGH california to name it after DCA. Carsland has a very West Coast vibe, obviously soarin, the redwood trail, grizzly river run.

I think Disney's Hollywood Adventure is probably the best compromise. It's definitely more California than Florida, there's no denying that. But it's specifically Hollywood, it's missing the rest of California that's present at the "real" DCA

Thans for the reply. In all honesty, I don't like naming it DCA. My point was, as you picked up on, that "Florida Adventure" makes no sense. Knowing I'd get the old "kai-bash" if I didn't back statements up with something, I started typing and realized just how Cali/Hollywood it truly is.

While I'm not too keen on the use of "Adventure", as others have stated it's so over used in Florida, I'm all for Hollywood. So perhaps "Disney's Hollywood Experience". I don't know. Figure the powers that be would never need my/our opinions, and realistically, it's most likely been named over 6 months ago but isn't being leaked.

roj2323

They should just go all Prince on us and just come up with an Icon for the park no name. Just so there is no more renaming needed down the road.... We can all affectionately call it TPFKATDMGMS (The Park Formerly Known As The Disney MGM Studios) or MGM for short.
Well if we are going to go that route lets just skip to the symbol. I vote for % or alternatively *

Again I read screamscape.com and here's what it said....tell me if this sounds accurate to you; they don't mention anything about Indiana jones in this....which is a little surprising; seems like the indy show is gonna stick around I guess for years, years, and years..
New Park Name - Confirmed - (3/19/15) While there has been little said about what or when Disney’s Hollywood Studios will get renamed, we do know tha a new name is coming, one way or the other. That said, it appears that Disney isn’t even testing the Trademark waters just yet on this, as I poked around for new names and could find nothing out of the ordinary. So for the time being the possibility for new names is wide open… though with rumors of major new developments in the works that could see famous properties like Star Wars and Marvel brought into the mix, as well as big concepts like a Cars Land being floated around previously, I would think whatever new name they choose would try to project an image of the new adventures planned ahead.
One other thing to consider is that Disney comes up with new ideas all the time, and they never throw them away, they just put them aside for another day. Over the years, many old ideas have been resurrected in one form or another, and it is possible that this could be the case again here. How so? Well, during the Q&A session with the stockholder last week the topic of building the long-in-development 3rd park at the Disneyland Resort came up, only to be squashed like a bug when they said they were not currently seeking to build a 3rd park in California at this time. (Note: they didn’t say NEVER… just not right now… and I may have more on just why this was said at a later date…)
According to the last rumors I had heard about the concept for the proposed 3rd Disneyland park, the overall theme of the park was to be all about ‘Heroes and Adventure”, featuring a number of heavily themed worlds to explore. The rumored concepts included building worlds from Star Wars, various Marvel based themes and even possibly importing the attractions under construction from Avatar into the project. In a way, the direction of this 3rd park sounds quite a bit like the direction where Disney may be trying to evolve Florida’s Studios park into as well, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some kind of “Heroes and Adventure” themed concept put to use.
This will take time… and while I don’t think we’ll see any kind of name change take place until Fall 2016 at the earliest, there may be one more interesting kink to work out before they can finalize their plans. This would revolve around the “M” problem… as Disney really wants to have the freedom to use the Marvel characters in Florida, and this means they will have to come to some kind of terms with Universal over their use.
According to what I’ve heard over the years, while Universal’s use of the Marvel characters at Islands of Adventure does not have a hard expiration date, it does have renewal dates built in at 10 year intervals where the cost of keeping the Marvel characters at IOA does increase, and where the terms of the deal can be renegotiated in the interest of both parties. While Islands of Adventure opened in 1999, the deal would have been signed many months before… estimated to be somewhere in the range of 12-18 months before the park opened. In other words, Disney and Universal are going to be meeting to discuss the terms of the next renewal in the 2017/2018 timeframe. Looking back, Disney has also been able to negotiate some incredible deals to regain almost all of the Marvel character rights that had previously been scattered out to the various studios. The only characters still outside the realm of Disney / Marvel’s feature film control to date are the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises which are being held in a death grip by Fox, but once again Disney put their magic-mojo to work and reached an epic deal with Sony that will allow them to bring Spiderman back into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, while still keeping Sony involved in the franchise.
I’ve said this before many times, but a similar style Win / Win deal can easily be established between Universal and Disney that would allow Universal to continue to keep the Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA intact for at least another decade or more at a reasonable rate, while allowing Disney free reign to begin using more of the characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe at the Walt Disney World parks. Allowing Universal to keep their attractions really wont hurt their efforts at the Disney parks in my opinion, as most of the characters put to use in the attractions at Universal are Spider-Man (Sony), X-Men and Fantastic Four (Fox) related anyway, with the sole exception being the use of the Incredible Hulk as the theme for the roller coaster, where Disney could let them keep it, or ask them to repaint it and theme it to another character, such as the Silver Surfer (which was the original intended theme anyway…)
It is also a good idea to keep in mind that while Universal and Disney are in competition on the theme park and movie studio side of things, Universal is owned by Comcast, who also has a very good reason to try and keep a good relationship between Disney as a key content provider for programming (ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel, etc…) used in the Comcast cable empire.
If a Win / Win style deal can be made, I’d count on seeing a Marvel presence at the Disney Studios park (whatever they choose to call it) as part of the transformation and new brand.

Tom

Beta Return
Again I read screamscape.com and here's what it said....tell me if this sounds accurate to you; they don't mention anything about Indiana jones in this....which is a little surprising; seems like the indy show is gonna stick around I guess for years, years, and years..
New Park Name - Confirmed - (3/19/15) While there has been little said about what or when Disney’s Hollywood Studios will get renamed, we do know tha a new name is coming, one way or the other. That said, it appears that Disney isn’t even testing the Trademark waters just yet on this, as I poked around for new names and could find nothing out of the ordinary. So for the time being the possibility for new names is wide open… though with rumors of major new developments in the works that could see famous properties like Star Wars and Marvel brought into the mix, as well as big concepts like a Cars Land being floated around previously, I would think whatever new name they choose would try to project an image of the new adventures planned ahead.
One other thing to consider is that Disney comes up with new ideas all the time, and they never throw them away, they just put them aside for another day. Over the years, many old ideas have been resurrected in one form or another, and it is possible that this could be the case again here. How so? Well, during the Q&A session with the stockholder last week the topic of building the long-in-development 3rd park at the Disneyland Resort came up, only to be squashed like a bug when they said they were not currently seeking to build a 3rd park in California at this time. (Note: they didn’t say NEVER… just not right now… and I may have more on just why this was said at a later date…)
According to the last rumors I had heard about the concept for the proposed 3rd Disneyland park, the overall theme of the park was to be all about ‘Heroes and Adventure”, featuring a number of heavily themed worlds to explore. The rumored concepts included building worlds from Star Wars, various Marvel based themes and even possibly importing the attractions under construction from Avatar into the project. In a way, the direction of this 3rd park sounds quite a bit like the direction where Disney may be trying to evolve Florida’s Studios park into as well, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some kind of “Heroes and Adventure” themed concept put to use.
This will take time… and while I don’t think we’ll see any kind of name change take place until Fall 2016 at the earliest, there may be one more interesting kink to work out before they can finalize their plans. This would revolve around the “M” problem… as Disney really wants to have the freedom to use the Marvel characters in Florida, and this means they will have to come to some kind of terms with Universal over their use.
According to what I’ve heard over the years, while Universal’s use of the Marvel characters at Islands of Adventure does not have a hard expiration date, it does have renewal dates built in at 10 year intervals where the cost of keeping the Marvel characters at IOA does increase, and where the terms of the deal can be renegotiated in the interest of both parties. While Islands of Adventure opened in 1999, the deal would have been signed many months before… estimated to be somewhere in the range of 12-18 months before the park opened. In other words, Disney and Universal are going to be meeting to discuss the terms of the next renewal in the 2017/2018 timeframe. Looking back, Disney has also been able to negotiate some incredible deals to regain almost all of the Marvel character rights that had previously been scattered out to the various studios. The only characters still outside the realm of Disney / Marvel’s feature film control to date are the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises which are being held in a death grip by Fox, but once again Disney put their magic-mojo to work and reached an epic deal with Sony that will allow them to bring Spiderman back into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, while still keeping Sony involved in the franchise.
I’ve said this before many times, but a similar style Win / Win deal can easily be established between Universal and Disney that would allow Universal to continue to keep the Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA intact for at least another decade or more at a reasonable rate, while allowing Disney free reign to begin using more of the characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe at the Walt Disney World parks. Allowing Universal to keep their attractions really wont hurt their efforts at the Disney parks in my opinion, as most of the characters put to use in the attractions at Universal are Spider-Man (Sony), X-Men and Fantastic Four (Fox) related anyway, with the sole exception being the use of the Incredible Hulk as the theme for the roller coaster, where Disney could let them keep it, or ask them to repaint it and theme it to another character, such as the Silver Surfer (which was the original intended theme anyway…)
It is also a good idea to keep in mind that while Universal and Disney are in competition on the theme park and movie studio side of things, Universal is owned by Comcast, who also has a very good reason to try and keep a good relationship between Disney as a key content provider for programming (ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel, etc…) used in the Comcast cable empire.
If a Win / Win style deal can be made, I’d count on seeing a Marvel presence at the Disney Studios park (whatever they choose to call it) as part of the transformation and new brand.

Good ol screamscape and their wall-o-text.

G00fyDad

60645443.jpg

Haymarket2008

All I can say is that when Spider-Man and Hulk have rides in Disney World it will taint my image of the place forever. This is not the place for them. It would cheapen the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom