Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

Communicore

more like, tires on the mono keep falling of

View attachment 87539
TPDisB7.jpg
Or the rubber frames on the puertas of the mono keep falling off

JoeCamel

But I also suggest.... Disney's International Cinematic Kingdom.... but that would spell (DIC....oh never mind).[/QUOTE said:
Gm has used the "Driver's Information Center" for years without an outcry. I doubt a DIC in the woods would upset anyone.

dizneycrazy09

So this is a bit off topic and definitely a long shot, but I was just wondering IF there's any chance that Disney is currently attempting to get the theme park rights back to Marvel, hence a delay in announcing plans for the park????? Possibly....maybe.... I follow these boards consistently, just never post, so I know what I ask will be met with rolled eyes and lol's, but I wanted to double check on a crazy fantasy I was having.

doctornick

So this is a bit off topic and definitely a long shot, but I was just wondering IF there's any chance that Disney is currently attempting to get the theme park rights back to Marvel, hence a delay in announcing plans for the park????? Possibly....maybe.... I follow these boards consistently, just never post, so I know what I ask will be met with rolled eyes and lol's, but I wanted to double check on a crazy fantasy I was having.

I think the idea of Disney getting the full Marvel theme park rights from Comcast/Uni are basically zero. Disney would have to pay ungodly amount to make that happen and it's just not worth it.

If anything were going on between the companies, there might be some negotiation/clarification as to what character rights are usable in WDW.

The only other thing that might theoretically go on in a negotiation is that Uni very likely does not have any rights to use the movie depictions of the Marvel characters. i.e. they could do something themed to Iron Man, but couldn't have RDJ be used in the queue or ride. So, I think it could be possible, albeit highly unlikely that Disney/Marvel could grant the use of their MCU movie images to Uni in return for WDW being able to share the Marvel rights to a greater degree. I am highly skeptical that anything like that is going on, but I would at least put it into the category of "very unlikely, but conceivable"

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think the idea of Disney getting the full Marvel theme park rights from Comcast/Uni are basically zero. Disney would have to pay ungodly amount to make that happen and it's just not worth it.

If anything were going on between the companies, there might be some negotiation/clarification as to what character rights are usable in WDW.

The only other thing that might theoretically go on in a negotiation is that Uni very likely does not have any rights to use the movie depictions of the Marvel characters. i.e. they could do something themed to Iron Man, but couldn't have RDJ be used in the queue or ride. So, I think it could be possible, albeit highly unlikely that Disney/Marvel could grant the use of their movie images to Uni in return for WDW being able to share the Marvel rights to a greater degree. I am highly skeptical that anything like that is going on, but I would at least put it into the category of "very unlikely, but conceivable"
All very fair, and my gut tells me you're right. But my gut also told me that we'd never see Spidey in the MCU, yet here we are.

ETA: And I have to imagine that Spidey's impact on the box office is greater than any direct theme park revenue that Uni can attribute to their Marvel licenses. Super Hero Island is really just a series of generic rides with Marvel brands slapped on the side. People are riding Hulk and Spidey because they're a great roller coaster and 4D simulator, not BECAUSE it's Hulk and Spidey. Compare that to WWoHP, which people are visiting BECAUSE it's HP, even if the attractions therein were crap (I know they're not, but that's beside the point).

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
All very fair, and my gut tells me you're right. But my gut also told me that we'd never see Spidey in the MCU, yet here we are.

ETA: And I have to imagine that Spidey's impact on the box office is greater than any direct theme park revenue that Uni can attribute to their Marvel licenses. Super Hero Island is really just a series of generic rides with Marvel brands slapped on the side. People are riding Hulk and Spidey because they're a great roller coaster and 4D simulator, not BECAUSE it's Hulk and Spidey. Compare that to WWoHP, which people are visiting BECAUSE it's HP, even if the attractions therein were crap (I know they're not, but that's beside the point).
I'm a little more optimistic that, if Disney wants them, they might well be able to secure the rights to use Marvel in WDW, except Spider-Man. All of the other character uses are not integral to the ride, but Spidey is. Sure, you could re-theme it, but it'd be a big undertaking. Re-theming Hulk, and Fear Fall, etc. are easier, and the Fantasic Four and Captain America (why did you even allow that to happen?) diners are just needless. It wouldn't shock me if Disney got the theme park rights back for all of the characters they have movie rights to, except Spider-Man. That would leave Uni free to use X-men and Fantastic Four, along with Spider-Man. Retheming necessary at IoA would be minor. Hulk could be painted and themed to Wolverine or Silver Surfer. Your diner could be changed pretty easily, and a few references around the land would need to be modified. That's about it. Uni could extract many millions from Disney for it, and it'd be a win-win.

dizneycrazy09

The whole Spiderman story is what made me start thinking along these lines. If ever Disney was going to regain the theme park rights, what better time than an overhaul of DHS?

ULPO46

I see DHS becoming more Star Wars and Pixar than anything in the future. But for Disney to make it into a marvel park or build a new park just on Marvel is highly unlikely even for when the licensing agreement ends. After all Universal Studios Islands of Adventure has a highly successful Marvel "Island". Just a few miles north of the DHS, thus in essence highly illogical to build the same thing just miles apart.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I see DHS becoming more Star Wars and Pixar than anything in the future. But for Disney to make it into a marvel park or build a new park just on Marvel is highly unlikely even for when the licensing agreement ends. After all Universal Studios Islands of Adventure has a highly successful Marvel "Island". Just a few miles north of the DHS, thus in essence highly illogical to build the same thing just miles apart.

I can't imagine Disney buying out the Marvel agreement and letting Universal keep the theme.

ULPO46

Disney is Disney, and unfortunately at the Corporate Level, anything is possible. after all Marvel is already being implemented on the 51% Disney owned Hong Kong Disneyland. Eventually Disney will do it and there will be legal matters but since I'm not a corporate expert at the madness that goes on at Burbank I can't really explain that. No one could have seen Disney buy out Marvel in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom