Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

Matt_Black

All I can say is that when Spider-Man and Hulk have rides in Disney World it will taint my image of the place forever. This is not the place for them. It would cheapen the experience.

4059-hulk-sad.jpg

But does it seem like the Indiana jones show will stay? Because screamscape has not mentioned what disney will decide on the indy show, will it be gone or no? I remember someone saying that an all around Star Wars land taking over the park is a bad idea.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But does it seem like the Indiana jones show will stay? Because screamscape has not mentioned what disney will decide on the indy show, will it be gone or no? I remember someone saying that an all around Star Wars land taking over the park is a bad idea.
See below. @marni1971 has been a voice in the wilderness on this for months but for some reason the idea that Indy is closing to make room for Star Wars has become a foregone conclusion.

Posted this on another thread:

Nothing has to close. No lakes have to be filled.

Remove the Backlot Express. There's your corridor to the expanded Star Wars Universe, behind Indy. Where they've planned park expansion since day one.

Continue Into the parking lot for phase two if needed.

And then put more things to do with an unrelated IP (!) into the existing sound and television theatres.

Kman101

People keep asking about Indy because it's been rumored in the past to be eliminated for Star Wars. So why wouldn't people want to know for sure? Is that confirmation nothing is being cemented over or replaced in the supposed expansion?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
All I can say is that when Spider-Man and Hulk have rides in Disney World it will taint my image of the place forever. This is not the place for them. It would cheapen the experience.
Care to elaborate? What's your "line" that shan't be crossed? Anthropomorphic mice good. Radioactive spider-man bad. Plastic space ranger good. Gamma monster bad.

Say what you will about beautiful themeing at Universal lately, but Marvel Super Hero Island ain't it. There's no reason to expect that Disney's incorporation of Marvel would look anything like that, if that's your worry.

dizneycrazy09

I know that we can "expect" a Star Wars announcement at D23, but do any insiders know if this will just be a Star Wars announcement or will it be more of a "here's the re-do of HS, here's the new name, oh and a big chunk of the re-do is Star Wars"?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Again I read screamscape.com and here's what it said....tell me if this sounds accurate to you; they don't mention anything about Indiana jones in this....which is a little surprising; seems like the indy show is gonna stick around I guess for years, years, and years..
New Park Name - Confirmed - (3/19/15) While there has been little said about what or when Disney’s Hollywood Studios will get renamed, we do know tha a new name is coming, one way or the other. That said, it appears that Disney isn’t even testing the Trademark waters just yet on this, as I poked around for new names and could find nothing out of the ordinary. So for the time being the possibility for new names is wide open… though with rumors of major new developments in the works that could see famous properties like Star Wars and Marvel brought into the mix, as well as big concepts like a Cars Land being floated around previously, I would think whatever new name they choose would try to project an image of the new adventures planned ahead.
One other thing to consider is that Disney comes up with new ideas all the time, and they never throw them away, they just put them aside for another day. Over the years, many old ideas have been resurrected in one form or another, and it is possible that this could be the case again here. How so? Well, during the Q&A session with the stockholder last week the topic of building the long-in-development 3rd park at the Disneyland Resort came up, only to be squashed like a bug when they said they were not currently seeking to build a 3rd park in California at this time. (Note: they didn’t say NEVER… just not right now… and I may have more on just why this was said at a later date…)
According to the last rumors I had heard about the concept for the proposed 3rd Disneyland park, the overall theme of the park was to be all about ‘Heroes and Adventure”, featuring a number of heavily themed worlds to explore. The rumored concepts included building worlds from Star Wars, various Marvel based themes and even possibly importing the attractions under construction from Avatar into the project. In a way, the direction of this 3rd park sounds quite a bit like the direction where Disney may be trying to evolve Florida’s Studios park into as well, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some kind of “Heroes and Adventure” themed concept put to use.
This will take time… and while I don’t think we’ll see any kind of name change take place until Fall 2016 at the earliest, there may be one more interesting kink to work out before they can finalize their plans. This would revolve around the “M” problem… as Disney really wants to have the freedom to use the Marvel characters in Florida, and this means they will have to come to some kind of terms with Universal over their use.
According to what I’ve heard over the years, while Universal’s use of the Marvel characters at Islands of Adventure does not have a hard expiration date, it does have renewal dates built in at 10 year intervals where the cost of keeping the Marvel characters at IOA does increase, and where the terms of the deal can be renegotiated in the interest of both parties. While Islands of Adventure opened in 1999, the deal would have been signed many months before… estimated to be somewhere in the range of 12-18 months before the park opened. In other words, Disney and Universal are going to be meeting to discuss the terms of the next renewal in the 2017/2018 timeframe. Looking back, Disney has also been able to negotiate some incredible deals to regain almost all of the Marvel character rights that had previously been scattered out to the various studios. The only characters still outside the realm of Disney / Marvel’s feature film control to date are the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises which are being held in a death grip by Fox, but once again Disney put their magic-mojo to work and reached an epic deal with Sony that will allow them to bring Spiderman back into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, while still keeping Sony involved in the franchise.
I’ve said this before many times, but a similar style Win / Win deal can easily be established between Universal and Disney that would allow Universal to continue to keep the Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA intact for at least another decade or more at a reasonable rate, while allowing Disney free reign to begin using more of the characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe at the Walt Disney World parks. Allowing Universal to keep their attractions really wont hurt their efforts at the Disney parks in my opinion, as most of the characters put to use in the attractions at Universal are Spider-Man (Sony), X-Men and Fantastic Four (Fox) related anyway, with the sole exception being the use of the Incredible Hulk as the theme for the roller coaster, where Disney could let them keep it, or ask them to repaint it and theme it to another character, such as the Silver Surfer (which was the original intended theme anyway…)
It is also a good idea to keep in mind that while Universal and Disney are in competition on the theme park and movie studio side of things, Universal is owned by Comcast, who also has a very good reason to try and keep a good relationship between Disney as a key content provider for programming (ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel, etc…) used in the Comcast cable empire.
If a Win / Win style deal can be made, I’d count on seeing a Marvel presence at the Disney Studios park (whatever they choose to call it) as part of the transformation and new brand.

I actually responded to Lance about the Marvel rights part pointing him to the actual contract. In his response he claimed the agreement on the SEC web site is not the final one and there may be a later one with different term. I am skeptical that this is the case.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
People keep asking about Indy because it's been rumored in the past to be eliminated for Star Wars. So why wouldn't people want to know for sure? Is that confirmation nothing is being cemented over or replaced in the supposed expansion?
Indy was Meant to close over a year ago. The aborted original plans for SW gave it a lifeline.

Hopefully now they'll think bigger and use the original ideas to go behind indy and further East than to loose another attraction when they don't need to.

imagineer boy

I agree. IDK why but my intuition just says that Disney and Marvel don't thematically "fit."

Haymarket2008

Care to elaborate? What's your "line" that shan't be crossed? Anthropomorphic mice good. Radioactive spider-man bad. Plastic space ranger good. Gamma monster bad.

Say what you will about beautiful themeing at Universal lately, but Marvel Super Hero Island ain't it. There's no reason to expect that Disney's incorporation of Marvel would look anything like that, if that's your worry.

Well, for me the bottom line is Marvel isn't Disney. Never has been, never will be. That being said, I LOVE the Marvel products and their films. I am sure Disney would make stellar attractions for them, but if they are found ANYWHERE within the Magic Kingdom.....hope is lost for me. That would be the point of no return. They don't fit the themes of the Disney corporation to me. Spidey, Hulk, and Thor in the same family as Mickey, Donald, Goofy? Seems strange. If I put the Star Wars/Indy franchises through the same paces, there isn't the same divide. I guess because they were part of the park from very early on. I suppose my ONLY way of coping would be if Disney didn't present them like Universal does (aka trashy theme park a la Six Flags) and if they were respectfully included in the parks and not given the major spotlight.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Well, for me the bottom line is Marvel isn't Disney. Never has been, never will be. That being said, I LOVE the Marvel products and their films. I am sure Disney would make stellar attractions for them, but if they are found ANYWHERE within the Magic Kingdom.....hope is lost for me. That would be the point of no return. They don't fit the themes of the Disney corporation to me. Spidey, Hulk, and Thor in the same family as Mickey, Donald, Goofy? Seems strange. If I put the Star Wars/Indy franchises through the same paces, there isn't the same divide. I guess because they were part of the park from very early on. I suppose my ONLY way of coping would be if Disney didn't present them like Universal does (aka trashy theme park a la Six Flags) and if they were respectfully included in the parks and not given the major spotlight.
There's loads of non-Disney stuff at Disney theme parks. You mentioned Lucas (and I'm still not clear on why you're okay with those things), but there's also pre-2006 Pixar, Aeorosmith, The Twilight Zone, all of Epcot, almost all of Animal Kingdom, etc. Not everything needs to have Disney branded IP on it (see: Maelstrom). Stark Expo fits at least as well in Tomorrowland as Star Wars and probably way better when you really think about it (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...), and DHS has (rightfully) never been tied to Disney-branded IP. What fits better in a park about movies than the biggest movie franchise of all time?

imagineer boy

Have you seen Iron Man 2? I don't know how anyone can watch the Howard Stark / Stark Expo scenes and not immediately think "Walt Disney and the 1964 New York World's Fair. Those scenes don't feel forced to me, they feel like a natural fit.

Well, Iron Man 2 wasn't that great to begin with and those connections were definitely intentional. But just IMHO they don't fit.

Travel Junkie

I agree. IDK why but my intuition just says that Disney and Marvel don't thematically "fit."

Then I suggest you not go to Disneyland where Marvel already has a footprint and soon to HKDL where an Iron Man ride will open next year.

There were a lot of people saying Star Wars never belonged in a Disney park either. Not so much now.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Then I suggest you not go to Disneyland where Marvel already has a footprint and soon to HKDL where an Iron Man ride will open next year.
And that's DISNEYLAND. Disney brand people are protective of Disneyland first, Magic Kingdom second, Epcot third, and everything else takes a back seat. If they can make Marvel "fit" at the crown jewel of brand advocacy, they can certainly do the same at DHS.

Haymarket2008

There's loads of non-Disney stuff at Disney theme parks. You mentioned Lucas (and I'm still not clear on why you're okay with those things), but there's also pre-2006 Pixar, Aeorosmith, The Twilight Zone, all of Epcot, almost all of Animal Kingdom, etc. Not everything needs to have Disney branded IP on it (see: Maelstrom). Stark Expo fits at least as well in Tomorrowland as Star Wars and probably way better when you really think about it (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...), and DHS has (rightfully) never been tied to Disney-branded IP. What fits better in a park about movies than the biggest movie franchise of all time?

In terms of Epcot and Animal Kingdom, all of their original attractions are Disney originals. Imagination, Maelstrom, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Spaceship Earth etc are all original Disney attractions with no prior IP's. They are as Disney to me as Mickey is. That is very different than an already established franchise that has had a long running theme park presence. I have no problem with the assortment found at Hollywood Studios. What I am saying is that if they are found in any other park other than DHS, then that is a huge problem to me. With that said, the way they are presented at DHS is a whole other issue. If it turns into another Marvel Island, Disney will be cheapened for me.

imagineer boy

There were a lot of people saying Star Wars never belonged in a Disney park either. Not so much now.

Eh, it's not for me. And HKDL sucked to begin with so not so bad there. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom