Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On indeed it was. We still have tonnes of merch with the damn thing on it!

The new name will reflect and be timed for the parks re launch.
Yep, this is true. We got a Christmas ornament set one year from the Christmas store at DTD and it had one icon from each park. The damn hat represented DHS. It was definitely the icon at one point.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The only official icon that was torn down was the water tower. The damn hat never was an official icon except in the minds of some of the guests. The theater wasn't an icon and even the ToT wasn't an official icon. They were used in identifying pictures but until recently the entire park after it's movie studio life was over, might just as well been a giant bowl of Potpourri.

Wrong. I've got merchandise - t-shirts, pins, mugs, etc., with both the Hat and now ToT as the icon for DHS.

Goofyernmost

Wrong. I've got merchandise - t-shirts, pins, mugs, etc., with both the Hat and now ToT as the icon for DHS.
Let me explain. They used those places as identifying landmarks for those that were aware of certain things being in the parks. Yes, they put it on merchandise and the used a variety of things. ToT, Ugly Hat, The Chinese Theater and the Water Tower. Many of them all at the same time. An Icon is an Icon, there can only really be one. All the rest are known, in the business as Weenies. They are to draw you to a certain area of a theme park. The Icon simply represents the park. Some are attractions and some are just identifying props. Until the Water Tower was removed it was the Icon. It wasn't as recognizable as others because even though the place had been named Disney/MGM or Disney's Hollywood Studios, It had lost the reality of the name. Other more prominent weenies were used to instantly identify which park they were referring too. More or less doing double duty as the two things. SSE, Tree of Life, and Cinderella Castle were doing that and were, by themselves, the Icon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let me explain. They used those places as identifying landmarks for those that were aware of certain things being in the parks. Yes, they put it on merchandise and the used a variety of things. ToT, Ugly Hat, The Chinese Theater and the Water Tower. Many of them all at the same time. An Icon is an Icon, there can only really be one. All the rest are known, in the business as Weenies. They are to draw you to a certain area of a theme park. The Icon simply represents the park. Some are attractions and some are just identifying props. Until the Water Tower was removed it was the Icon. It wasn't as recognizable as others because even though the place had been named Disney/MGM or Disney's Hollywood Studios, It had lost the reality of the name. Other more prominent weenies were used to instantly identify which park they were referring too. More or less doing double duty as the two things. SSE, Tree of Life, and Cinderella Castle were doing that and were, by themselves, the Icon.
I agree with the concept that the icon is the icon and there is only one per park and I know all about weenies;). For MGM studios the original icon was the water tower. Later for after conversion to DHS there was a period of time where the hat became the one and only icon. Any item that showed pictures of the 4 parks at WDW had the castle, tree, big ball and hat. This was a Christmas ornament set sold several years ago directly by Disney called Four Parks, One World Walt Disney World Resort Icon Ornament Set.
IMG_0632.JPG

I never really accepted the hat as the icon for DHS and a lot of fans didn't either, but internally with Disney it was. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a historical fact. Since they got rid of the hat, ToT has now become the icon. Maybe with the new name and rebranding it will change again.

Edit:
Here's the official Disney Store Magic Bandits Park Icons pack from before the switch:
IMG_0633.JPG

And now after the switch:
IMG_0634.JPG

Last edited:

Mike S

I agree with the concept that the icon is the icon and there is only one per park and I know all about weenies;). For MGM studios the original icon was the water tower. Later for after conversion to DHS there was a period of time where the hat became the one and only icon. Any item that showed pictures of the 4 parks at WDW had the castle, tree, big ball and hat. This was a Christmas ornament set sold several years ago directly by Disney called Four Parks, One World Walt Disney World Resort Icon Ornament Set.
View attachment 186703
I never really accepted the hat as the icon for DHS and a lot of fans didn't either, but internally with Disney it was. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a historical fact. Since they got rid of the hat, ToT has now become the icon. Maybe with the new name and rebranding it will change again.

Edit:
Here's the official Disney Store Magic Bandits Park Icons pack from before the switch:
View attachment 186706
View attachment 186707
I think it should just be the Theater but that's just me.

Little Green Men

View attachment 186703
I still have those ornaments. Unfortunately my SSE has the wand on it though....

Fox&Hound

View attachment 186703

Edit:
View attachment 186706
View attachment 186707

Did you really call Spaceship Earth "the big ball"? Tsk tsk..... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom