Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

Matt_Black

Beauty and the beast still pulls in large crowds for every showing. The theater is usually at 80-90% of capacity year round. During the holidays and other peak times they regularly run out of room. With the show still being that popular I have no idea why they would replace it. Heck I'm a 30+ guy and it's one of my favorite shows.

I'd say it's even better than the movie, because Gaston lives in this one! No one cheats death like Gaston!

Kman101

I like Beauty and the Beast show too, but it's time has come. Or at least update the costumes, upgrade the sets, etc. and enclose the theater. I've wanted to see them compile Tangled, Princess & The Frog, Little Mermaid, BaTB into one stage show. Best parts of them all so we can finally replace the dated Mermaid/Beauty shows. But both shows are on the lower part of the list of things that need to be done at DHS so they're not a huge priority as they're still popular. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be replaced or at least upgraded though.

doctornick

I'm guessing they have to add capacity before they close down Indy or Lights Motors Action. I wouldn't expect either to close until Toy Story Midway Mania has it's third track, and possibly Toy Story Playland (or some variant) opens.

I have thought this as well, but they seem to be dragging their heels with getting TSPL built. In fall 2014, I thought it would be fast-tracked to make up for the capacity lost by closing BLT, AIE, and Captain Jack and would open in maybe late 2015. That doesn't seem to be the case now since apparently nothing has been done for it. I am curious if any insiders have an idea of the expected timeframe for TSPL because the park needs it now.

Animaniac93-98

Beauty and the beast still pulls in large crowds for every showing. The theater is usually at 80-90% of capacity year round. During the holidays and other peak times they regularly run out of room. With the show still being that popular I have no idea why they would replace it. Heck I'm a 30+ guy and it's one of my favorite shows.

It's popular beacuse there's barely anything in the park parents and young children can do together. Same with Little Mermaid.

It would also be nice to see something new after 20+ years and with better production values.

RSoxNo1

I have thought this as well, but they seem to be dragging their heels with getting TSPL built. In fall 2014, I thought it would be fast-tracked to make up for the capacity lost by closing BLT, AIE, and Captain Jack and would open in maybe late 2015. That doesn't seem to be the case now since apparently nothing has been done for it. I am curious if any insiders have an idea of the expected timeframe for TSPL because the park needs it now.
Those attractions weren't exactly draws. They served their purpose as capacity eaters, but you can only take away so many of them. The Frozen show has replaced AIE and is playing to full crowds more times a day. The Jack Sparrow thing was in a space that was under utilized, so really the biggest cut was the Backlot Tour.

HauntedMansionFLA

Plus the live action movie with Emma Watson is coming out in the future will have a new interest in the show. I wouldn't mind seeing Mary Poppins opening up or rotate the shows.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'm guessing they have to add capacity before they close down Indy or Lights Motors Action. I wouldn't expect either to close until Toy Story Midway Mania has it's third track, and possibly Toy Story Playland (or some variant) opens.
I hope they move Indy to another part of the park since rumor has it they are rebooting the franchise. It doesn't have to be the stunt show - couple of ride and interactive things.

cjk0318

I see the Disney Magic is getting a Tangled show this year with three new songs by Alan Menken. Is this the show that was supposed to replace Beatuty and the Beast: Live on Stage (or related to it)?
I was told months ago that if Tangled tests well on the DCL and pulls crowds, then it could possibly come to DHS (DHA) during the parks renewal.

dizneycrazy09

It has been a while since we've heard anything about TSPL, hasn't it? Is this still on the drawing board or are they currently cutting the budget so we get a M&G and a spinner and call it a new land?

I'd rather IJESS show be taken out, keep LMA since the show is really not super old...opened up on high school. The indy ride should come in a whole new way...a flume ride gets the nod for me. A clone is good as well but make it totally different from Tokyo and Disneyland CA, Try making a temple for the final flume drop!!!!!! Yes DHS does need more water. I know Star Wars land would be the main focus but I'm saying a indy ride would do just to keep its presence alive in the park instead of not having nothing. TGMR would be the only attrwction left that feature indy in a small scene.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'd rather IJESS show be taken out, keep LMA since the show is really not super old...opened up on high school. The indy ride should come in a whole new way...a flume ride gets the nod for me. A clone is good as well but make it totally different from Tokyo and Disneyland CA, Try making a temple for the final flume drop!!!!!! Yes DHS does need more water. I know Star Wars land would be the main focus but I'm saying a indy ride would do just to keep its presence alive in the park instead of not having nothing. TGMR would be the only attrwction left that feature indy in a small scene.
I've been saying they could move the Indiana Jone Stunt show where LMA is located and build a couple of rides. I like the flume ride and maybe they could have a roller coaster like Paris.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

US so called D&G'ers said 10 years of 'This area being refurbished for your future enjoyment' Looks like we are well into year one of that.

Marlins1

Flume rides are great and Indiana Jones theming would be perfect. HS could really use a water ride.

wdwfan757

Escape from Pompei at BG Williamsburg could easily be rethemed to Indy. It has a pretty small footprint too. May make a good source of inspiration for a DHS Indy flume ride... although that ride is always kind of a letdown

Rescue Ranger

I have always, I don't want to say hated, highly disliked, LMA. That and both Idol & Sounds Dangerous when they were around. I can't stand it. I feel like it's such a huge waste of space and the sounds and fumes from those cars...uuugh. The other parks don't really have anything I dislike. Well maybe Stitch, but...!

Be nice when Hollywood Studios, while hopefully still keeping a lot of it's former/current makeup, becomes new again.

jrhwdw

Several years ago, Gaston used to fall to his death from the upstage balcony. I don't remember when they changed it or why.
I never saw that at the Theater Of The Stars. When Belle gets back to the castle, Gaston stabs Beast and then runs offstage. Could you be thinking of Broadway, Disney On Ice, or the Backlot Theater when Sunset Blvd was being built? I think Martin has a video of that somewhere.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I never saw that at the Theater Of The Stars. When Belle gets back to the castle, Gaston stabs Beast and then runs offstage. Could you be thinking of Broadway, Disney On Ice, or the Backlot Theater when Sunset Blvd was being built? I think Martin has a video of that somewhere.
News to me too.

So far as I knew the scenery was always scrim in all 4 DMGM versions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom