Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

pumpkin7

Has any other theme park in the history of the world had so many name changes? Really... just pay MGM their cut and change the name back already.

HunnyHunter

Yeah I read it all.
I agree with you, it just didn't fit!
As for effects, they couldn't have just used the Captain EO's and added a few more effects?
They actually did use the Magic Eye space at Disneyland instead of the one from It's Tough to be a Bug! Have a look at the photo.

Guardians+of+the+Galaxy+Preview+at+Disneyland-12.jpg

Captain Chaos

They actually did use the Magic Eye space at Disneyland instead of the one from It's Tough to be a Bug! Have a look at the photo.

Guardians+of+the+Galaxy+Preview+at+Disneyland-12.jpg
I thought so, I didn't think they used Tough to be A Bug theater. They could have used Eo's theater in Epcot. Same effects for both theaters. Easy enough. They didn't. Jim Hill (whether he is right or not) was the only one who dared say they couldn't use Eo in Epcot cause of the effects. Is he right? Is he wrong? I don't know. Honestly, I don't care. again, this is stuff lawyers get paid to figure out.

But, we have gone too far off topic. Back to the new name of DHS:

Disney's MoneyGrab Park... where you have nothing to do, spend half a day, and still pay $100 to enter!!!!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I thought so, I didn't think they used Tough to be A Bug theater. They could have used Eo's theater in Epcot. Same effects for both theaters. Easy enough. They didn't. Jim Hill (whether he is right or not) was the only one who dared say they couldn't use Eo in Epcot cause of the effects. Is he right? Is he wrong? I don't know. Honestly, I don't care. again, this is stuff lawyers get paid to figure out.

Disney's MoneyGrab Park... where you have nothing to do, spend half a day, and still pay $100 to enter!!!!!

If they used EO in DL, and they couldn't use the effect in WDW, why not still do it in EO and just not use the effects? There had to be more to the choice then just effects or no effects.

Cesar R M

I think the water splatter and laser effects are not present at EO.

Captain Chaos

If they used EO in DL, and they couldn't use the effect in WDW, why not still do it in EO and just not use the effects? There had to be more to the choice then just effects or no effects.
If you can't use the effects, then why shut it down just for the preview? Like you said, they had a theater in DHS ready for use, sitting empty. If you couldn't use the Epcot theater, next best choice was the empty one in DHS. And this may have been the plan all along, I'm not saying it wasn't.

The idea is to use the theater for the effects, like in DL. The two theaters are the same. Wasn't Eo in Magic Eye Theater in DL? Or was that theater home of the Muppets 3D? Effects are already built in. Decide to use the theater there, with full effect for the GotG preview. They could have used the Eo theater in Epcot, complete with effects. But, since that may have been considered an attraction rather than a simple movie preview, then the WDW Eo theater was out. Use DHS instead. Obvious choice. If they were able to use the effects without it being an attraction, then shut Eo down, run the preview with the effects, and once the preview ran its course, open Eo back up.

Again, not saying Hill was right. Just presenting another side of things. Truth is, we won't know what really happened behind closed doors. We won't know if Comcast had a fit or put up a yield sign. We won't know if Disney tried to push the limits or what kind of agreement they came to with Comcast. Or if there is some sort of list the companies have which details exactly which characters are off limits. No matter what anyone says. Remember, insiders aren't right 100% of the time, and they do get fed misleading or wrong information plenty.

Again, Disney was limited to how they marketed the preview and the meet and greet. Maybe that is the only limitation they have, they can't market GotG as a Marvel product.

That's my last post on this as we continue to steer this thread way off topic.

12_Ears_Dad

I think they might be looking to do something like Universal has.. more thrilling rides, a very effects based atmosphere (which in parts it already has). It would make sense to do something to help compete with Uni. Will they do it? Probably not.... But Disney doesn't do a lot of things that make "sense" to me. But with their profits, they must know something I don't..

As for what to call it?

"Disney Adrenaline Park"

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think they might be looking to do something like Universal has.. more thrilling rides, a very effects based atmosphere (which in parts it already has). It would make sense to do something to help compete with Uni. Will they do it? Probably not.... But Disney doesn't do a lot of things that make "sense" to me. But with their profits, they must know something I don't..

As for what to call it?

"Disney Adrenaline Park"

More thrill rides in DHS just doesn't make sense. Part of the reason TSMM has such long lines is that there are very few family rides in the park, and they just lost one with the closing of the Backlot Tour. DHS only has five actual rides, two of which I would call thrill rides and a third that is a moderate thrill, leaving only two totally non-thrill rides.

12_Ears_Dad

More thrill rides in DHS just doesn't make sense. Part of the reason TSMM has such long lines is that there are very few family rides in the park, and they just lost one with the closing of the Backlot Tour.

I think it makes perfect sense... They need something to appeal to the thrill seeking group. Disney has not much of this. The Disney has enough family themed attractions at its other parks... its time for a new direction for Hollywood Studios.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think it makes perfect sense... They need something to appeal to the thrill seeking group. Disney has not much of this. The Disney has enough family themed attractions at its other parks... its time for a new direction for Hollywood Studios.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "thrill seeking group". I don't think true thrill seekers are going to Disney or Uni, they are going to Six Flags and other regional parks that are putting in the next most extreme coaster every other year. This is not a business that I think Disney should ever try to compete in.

12_Ears_Dad

I guess it depends on what you mean by "thrill seeking group". I don't think true thrill seekers are going to Disney or Uni, they are going to Six Flags and other regional parks that are putting in the next most extreme coaster every other year. This is not a business that I think Disney should ever try to compete in.

Disney has water parks, do they not? Why do people go to those? Because they are DISNEY WORLD water parks. Sure I can go on multiple thrill rides at my local amusement park Cedar Point, But its not Disney World. I don't think its something Disney should try to compete in either. They should be on top. Buy like I said , it wont happen.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney has water parks, do they not? Why do people go to those? Because they are DISNEY WORLD water parks. Sure I can go on multiple thrill rides at my local amusement park Cedar Point, But its not Disney World. I don't think its something Disney should try to compete in either. They should be on top. Buy like I said , it wont happen.

Disney could never keep up with the rate that regional parks build high thrill coasters. The regional parks can do this because they are just building off the shelf mainly un-themed rides. With the high level of detail and theming Disney rides have there is no way they could keep rolling them out to satisfy the true thrill seekers. Yes, they can build rides with a thrill element, but they need to be a more well rounded ride that brings people back year after year.

12_Ears_Dad

Disney could never keep up with the rate that regional parks build high thrill coasters. The regional parks can do this because they are just building off the shelf mainly un-themed rides. With the high level of detail and theming Disney rides have there is no way they could keep rolling them out to satisfy the true thrill seekers. Yes, they can build rides with a thrill element, but they need to be a more well rounded ride that brings people back year after year.
vx

Your description is more of what I meant. So , yes, well rounded to bring ppl back.

JohnD

Okay. So the Frozen summer show is moving to the Hyperion Theater (where American Idol used to be). Below is the description on the Disney blog about Frozen Summer Fun. Note, particularly the references to "Hollywoodland" all over the description which up until now were just in the show. Hmm:

Here are the full details from the official Disney Parks Blog.

• Frozen Royal Welcome – Twice each day, Anna, Elsa and Kristoff take part in a festive cavalcade throughout Hollywoodland, accompanied by the Royal Arendelle Flag Corps and a flurry of skaters, skiiers and ice cutters – along with lovable snowman, Olaf. Anna leads the procession in a beautiful horse-drawn sleigh, with Elsa gliding by on a stunning, ice palace float. The entire procession pauses twice along the route in tribute to these visitors from Arendelle, as everyone in Hollywoodland is invited to join in singing “Let It Go!”
  • For the First Time in Forever: A “Frozen” Sing-Along Celebration – Just in time for this year’s “Frozen” Summer Fun LIVE event, this popular show moves into the beautiful Hyperion Theater (formerly Superstar Television Theater), located right in the heart of Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The Royal Historians of Arendelle host a fun and comedic retelling of the unique story of their kingdom, filled with delightful, sing-along moments from “Frozen,” plus all-new in-theater effects and special appearances by Anna, Elsa and Kristoff.
  • Olaf’s Summer Cool Down – Several times each day, the Ambassador of Hollywoodland brings Olaf and some of his friends to the Event Stage to have a little fun with everyone “In Summer.” And as temperatures heat up, Olaf happily shares a burst from his personal snow cloud to cool things off.
  • “Coolest Summer Ever” Dance Party – Once the sun goes down, a dance party takes over the area around the Event Stage, with DJ Chill and some of your favorite Disney characters. Using a special event hashtag, you can share song requests and photos over social media, to be featured onscreen during the party.
  • “Frozen” Fireworks – As the night comes to a close, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and Olaf come together at the Event Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen” and, of course, a flurry of snow!

Bolt

Okay. So the Frozen summer show is moving to the Hyperion Theater (where American Idol used to be). Below is the description on the Disney blog about Frozen Summer Fun. Note, particularly the references to "Hollywoodland" all over the description which up until now were just in the show. Hmm:

• Frozen Royal Welcome – Twice each day, Anna, Elsa and Kristoff take part in a festive cavalcade throughout Hollywoodland, accompanied by the Royal Arendelle Flag Corps and a flurry of skaters, skiiers and ice cutters – along with lovable snowman, Olaf. Anna leads the procession in a beautiful horse-drawn sleigh, with Elsa gliding by on a stunning, ice palace float. The entire procession pauses twice along the route in tribute to these visitors from Arendelle, as everyone in Hollywoodland is invited to join in singing “Let It Go!”
  • For the First Time in Forever: A “Frozen” Sing-Along Celebration – Just in time for this year’s “Frozen” Summer Fun LIVE event, this popular show moves into the beautiful Hyperion Theater (formerly Superstar Television Theater), located right in the heart of Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The Royal Historians of Arendelle host a fun and comedic retelling of the unique story of their kingdom, filled with delightful, sing-along moments from “Frozen,” plus all-new in-theater effects and special appearances by Anna, Elsa and Kristoff.
  • Olaf’s Summer Cool Down – Several times each day, the Ambassador of Hollywoodland brings Olaf and some of his friends to the Event Stage to have a little fun with everyone “In Summer.” And as temperatures heat up, Olaf happily shares a burst from his personal snow cloud to cool things off.
  • “Coolest Summer Ever” Dance Party – Once the sun goes down, a dance party takes over the area around the Event Stage, with DJ Chill and some of your favorite Disney characters. Using a special event hashtag, you can share song requests and photos over social media, to be featured onscreen during the party.
  • “Frozen” Fireworks – As the night comes to a close, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and Olaf come together at the Event Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen” and, of course, a flurry of snow!
They've been using that since last July - I wouldnt read much into it.

RSoxNo1

I thought that as well, but it is just repeating what was used last summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom