Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What does not work the way I described? That the Studio pays for the promotional events like film previews and meet and greets? Because that is exactly how it works. That is why some fairly popular characters still end up disappearing along with the rest of the promotional material.
That's not my point. My point is that there's exactly zero consideration put into how a certain experience at Disneyland might compare to a similar experience at Walt Disney World. There's no reason whatsoever, from a "guest experience" perspective or from a business/financial perspective, that Walt Disney World or Disneyland having a "lesser" version of something is a problem.

Or the Walt Disney Management did want to give the Studios side what they wanted. Neither option should come as any surprise if true. I just don't buy the idea that showing the movie without moving seats is not a violation of the contract, but having the seats move is.
Sorry, still catching up on this thread... Is someone really trying to argue that the Uni contract is why WDW didn't have moving seats for a film preview?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's not my point. My point is that there's exactly zero consideration put into how a certain experience at Disneyland might compare to a similar experience at Walt Disney World. There's no reason whatsoever, from a "guest experience" perspective or from a business/financial perspective, that Walt Disney World or Disneyland having a "lesser" version of something is a problem.

Especially something short term like this. It's not like many people are going to see it in both locations and compare the experiences.

Sorry, still catching up on this thread... Is someone really trying to argue that the Uni contract is why WDW didn't have moving seats for a film preview?

Yes.

lazyboy97o

Or the Walt Disney Management did want to give the Studios side what they wanted. Neither option should come as any surprise if true. I just don't buy the idea that showing the movie without moving seats is not a violation of the contract, but having the seats move is.
It would definitely be pushing more bounds.

That would mean that within the Studio's marketing department and Walt Disney Imagineering that these promotional experiences are handled by completely distinct, anonymous groups.

peter11435

The only reason the preview had special effects at disneyland was because it was shown in a theater that already had special effects installed. At WDW it was shown in a vacant theater without such effects. The only reason it wasn't shown in a vacant theater at Disneyland is because there isn't one. So they have to put it in place of an existing attraction.

RSoxNo1

It's been years since they built anything of substance at MGM. In fact, they've closed more than they have opened.

All we have are rumors.
They have opened several things that have since closed since the last ride was added in 2008. This includes the Pirates of the Caribbean walkthrough and the American Idol Experience. Add in the closure of the Studio Backlot Tour and it really is embarrassing that we can't see vertical construction on any new attractions, and probably won't see any new vertical construction until 2016.

lazyboy97o

The only reason the preview had special effects at disneyland was because it was shown in a theater that already had special effects installed. At WDW it was shown in a vacant theater without such effects. The only reason it wasn't shown in a vacant theater at Disneyland is because there isn't one. So they have to put it in place of an existing attraction.
The MuppetVision 3D theater had already been utilized for the recent wave of in-park previews.

CRO-Magnum

Given the outright greediness of the current regime in charge, I'd be surprised if they don't find a way for guests to "sponsor" the park themselves for an extra $10k, similar to sports stadiums. "Disney's Open Air Mall presented by The Stephenson Family" has a nice ring to it. Gives all those banking execs and CEO's something to spend their money on while vacationing.

WestC0T

I see potential for the name DIsney's Hollywood Adventure, although DHW is not really seen as an "adventure" park.

I certainly could see a Pixar tie in of some kind. Seeming as the park is slowly becoming more "pixarized".

peter11435

The MuppetVision 3D theater had already been utilized for the recent wave of in-park previews.
What is your point? Disneyland rotated through various venues for these events. If you have to close an existing attraction it makes sense to rotate through them so you don't have the same attraction closed everytime and you can select which venue is the best fit for the product you are previewing. At WDW there is no need or point to closing an existing attraction to host these previews since they have other available venues.

FlaMel

I'm sure that played a big part of it, but why not give the same experience on both coasts, i.e. the 4D theater experience?

I wouldn't doubt that somewhere they played it a little safe until lawyers did what lawyers do.

My point was, if I had the opportunity to really jazz up the preview, like in DL, I'd do it in WDW too. Unless I was prevented for one reason or another (or played it safe as lawyers talked things over). Wouldn't be too hard to run the GotG preview in Eo's theater. Of course, programming the theater to interact would be the hardest part I'd imagine.

Then that is HUGE problem. These previews are paid for by the Studio. That means a part of The Walt Disney Company thinks it is just fine to give Walt Disney World the lesser experience.

IMO, Different is not necessarily lesser. There are Major differences between the parks that this film was previewed in (DLR vs WDW). I would say that from a show/theme perspective, GoTG is not really a good fit for DAK.
In my opinion, it is not a good match for the ITTBAB theater either. Although I did not see the sneak Preview at DCA, I have a friend that did. In his opinion, the effects felt forced. Another thing that he felt negatively impacted the preview was that the attraction film (ITTBAB) is matted to match the custom shaped screen, and GoTG was not. From the film makers perspective, did any of those effects serve the vision that James Gunn had for his movie? For me, DHS is a great place to present these sneak previews. It is a park about Hollywood and movies and movie related entertainment. The area in which they are previewed (ABC Sound Studio) is located in a modern Production themed area. It seems more appropriate than shoehorning a space movie into a Pixar/A Bug's Life themed area, just to take advantage of effects of negligible value.

Last edited:

RAXIP

They should change the signage on the roads on property that direct guests to Hollywood Studios to LED Signs
These showed up on Sunday. Six total from WB I-4 to 192.
image.jpg

Captain Chaos

IMO, Different is not necessarily lesser. There are Major differences between the parks that this film was previewed in (DLR vs WDW). I would say that from a show/theme perspective, GoTG is not really a good fit for DAK.
In my opinion, it is not a good match for the ITTBAB theater either. Although I did not see the sneak Preview at DCA, I have a friend that did. In his opinion, the effects felt forced. Another thing that he felt negatively impacted the preview was that the attraction film (ITTBAB) is matted to match the custom shaped screen, and GoTG was not. From the film makers perspective, did any of those effects serve the vision that James Gunn had for his movie? For me, DHS is a great place to present these sneak previews. It is a park about Hollywood and movies and movie related entertainment. The area in which they are previewed (ABC Sound Studio) is located in a modern Production themed area. It seems more appropriate than shoehorning a space movie into a Pixar/A Bug's Life themed area, just to take advantage of effects of negligible value.
I get what you are saying, and yes I do agree the preview didn't belong in DAK... No one was debating theme... The discussion is about the use of GotG in WDW, and to what extent can they be used, if Disney is limited in any sort of way in their use...

While yes, DHS made sense in theme, and danlb noting the empty theater, the discussion was could Disney have used the Eo theater with the effects in use, much like they did in DL... Or was Disney limited in how they showed the preview... Jim Hill was the one who pointed out Disney couldn't run it in Eo with effects cause then it bordered on an attraction, not a movie preview... Some are saying Disney has no limitations, some think they do... Some think Disney was trying to push the limitations to see what they were able to get away with... Others think Disney and Comcast discussed it over and came to an agreement on the usage... This is what lawyers are paid to figure out... And it is above my pay scale as a member on a fan forum LOL...

There is an obvious limitation though... They weren't allowed to market in WDW GotG as a Marvel film... They couldn't market the meet and greet for Star Lord and Gamora as Marvel characters... An obvious limitation due to a clause in the contract...

I don't think many will dispute the ability of Disney to use the characters... I think what most of us are debating or trying to figure out is if they are limited in any way, other than a meet and greet during a hard ticket event or if a full scale attraction could be built, as long as they don't market it as Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy... I just hope, if they can make an attraction, and do, the attraction is worthy of the movie cause GotG was excellent!

Cesar R M

hu.. why would they preview GOTG in DAK?

FlaMel

hu.. why would they preview GOTG in DAK?
At the Disneyland Resort, the GoTG sneak preview was presented in the It's tough to be a bug attraction space at DCA. Because that theater was equipped with effects, that they utilized during each showing a discussion around the preview at WDW being less than the DLR presentation was presented. See my original post for the rest of my thoughts on this.

Cesar R M

At the Disneyland Resort, the GoTG sneak preview was presented in the It's tough to be a bug attraction space at DCA. Because that theater was equipped with effects, that they utilized during each showing a discussion around the preview at WDW being less than the DLR presentation was presented. See my original post for the rest of my thoughts on this.
Yeah I read it all.
I agree with you, it just didn't fit!
As for effects, they couldn't have just used the Captain EO's and added a few more effects?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom