Disney's Hollywood Studios likely to become Disney Hollywood Studios

PurpleDragon

perhaps they should consider cutting the pointless marketing and branding expenditure and spend it on care and maintenance and new ride creation, then the guests that are supposedly swayed by this marketing bull would miraculously appear anyway.

qft!!!

EDIT: Why is there suddenly a caps filter?

Pete C

Actually, I disagree with all of you...it makes perfect sense to me. While the grammar is incorrect, why haven't you all been complaining that it is "Walt Disney World" instead of "Walt Disney's World" then? Seems like they are just going back to the roots of their original theme park naming. It was Disneyland and Disney World, not Disney's Land or Disney's World.

PurpleDragon

Actually, I disagree with all of you...it makes perfect sense to me. While the grammar is incorrect, why haven't you all been complaining that it is "Walt Disney World" instead of "Walt Disney's World" then? Seems like they are just going back to the roots of their original theme park naming. It was Disneyland and Disney World, not Disney's Land or Disney's World.

I must admit, your logic is sound. :D

mp2bill

Is it just me or does that just not make any grammatical sense?

It's not just you. It makes almost as much grammatical sense as "Celebrate Everyday!" Someone at the Disney Department of Naming Things really needs to take an English course.

It's not a grammatical error. To say "Disney's" implies that it is the property of just one person...just as if you were to say Smith's Hollywood Studios. To drop the " 's, " makes it a branding name. Just like you don't say "Nike's Air Jordan shoes" or "Apple's iPod," technically, for branding pruposes of a company's product, you just say Disney. After all, it is the Walt Disney Company, not Walt Disney's company.

However, I still think it's stupid and causes a whole lot of hooplah over nothing to change the name. Do they think they'll get more visitors to the parks or sell more merchandise with the name change? Or are they just that self righteous that nothing can have the name of it's creator on it? It's almost like slapping Walt in the face. :mad:

fosse76

Pure speculation: it may have to do with copyrighting/trademarking, etc. Names like Animal Kingdom and Saratoga Springs may be too generic to copyright/register. However, if the official title starts with a "Disney's," it becomes much more specific.

You can't copyright a name or title, you can only trademark it. A trademark affords less protections than a copyright. As you state above, Animal Kingdom is too generic, and anyone could open a park and call it Animal Kingdom. However, throw "Disney's" into the name and the protection becomes much stronger, because it is no longer generic.

Initially, the change does seem like more of a "branding" than a name change. However, I don't see this as a smart move. Only Epcot is a unique, non-generic name that would be easy for Disney to protect. You don't get more generic than Hollywood Studios, and because the names are generic Disney would have a hard time stopping unscrupulous people from exploiting that.

PurpleDragon

However, I still think it's stupid and causes a whole lot of hooplah over nothing to change the name. Do they think they'll get more visitors to the parks or sell more merchandise with the name change? Or are they just that self righteous that nothing can have the name of it's creator on it? It's almost like slapping Walt in the face. :mad:

Now I wouldn't go that far, I think they are doing it more for the synergy of all their parks having a similar naming convention. Saying that they are doing it intentionally to insult the creator of the company is a little over the top. :rolleyes:

JustInTime

Cinderella castle as another example.

Not really. Castles/mansions were typically named that way. Like Gracie Manor for example. When naming a home, you typically use the owner's name with no possession.

I, however, think that the name change sounds awkward.

mp2bill

Now I wouldn't go that far, I think they are doing it more for the synergy of all their parks having a similar naming convention. Saying that they are doing it intentionally to insult the creator of the company is a little over the top. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that they're intentionally slapping him in the face, but you can be so nearsighted on an issue (changing the name for synergy) that you forget your roots. Why not change everything to "Disney's" (implying Walt Disney's) instead of "Disney" (the company) if their concern is synergy?

PurpleDragon

I'm not saying that they're intentionally slapping him in the face, but you can be so nearsighted on an issue (changing the name for synergy) that you forget your roots. Why not change everything to "Disney's" (implying Walt Disney's) instead of "Disney" (the company) if their concern is synergy?

For the exact same reason that Pete C stated:

DisneyNut2007

Al Lutz mentioned in his new article that the new name of Disney's California Adventure now going to be known as Disney California Adventure will now spread to all things branded with the term Disney's at all the parks.
DCALogo462199SMALL.jpg

So expect to see Disney's Hollywood Studios become Disney Hollywood Studios. Disney Typhoon Lagoon' Disney Blizzard Beach' Disney Animal Kingdom etc.

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al060110a.htm

LIAR!!! :mad:

greebomusic

actually, i disagree with all of you...it makes perfect sense to me. While the grammar is incorrect, why haven't you all been complaining that it is "walt disney world" instead of "walt disney's world" then? Seems like they are just going back to the roots of their original theme park naming. It was disneyland and disney world, not disney's land or disney's world.

ftw!

comics101

Haha I had to reread the OP about four or five times before I actually realized what you guys were talkin about. I really don't think it's that big a deal, it's not too noticiable.

I'm more upset over the font they used for "California". It's cheap and generic looking. It litterally could've been done on MS Word. They could and should do much better...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom