DisneyQuest to close?

dxwwf3

AEfx said:
The reason DQ doesn't do very well is because who the hell goes to WDW to play video games? And the "original" games (the roller coaster simulator, PotC) there just...well, they aren't worth what costs nearly a day's park admission (from a multiday ticket) or a fine meal at one of WDW's better restaurants. People barely have enough time to see the major parks in a week these days, let alone spend 1/2 a day in an overpriced, under-maintained, half-baked electronic experience.

I think that is a very good point. Add that with the price of the place and it's a combo that has kept me away. If it were like $15 a day then I probably would have been there by now.

AEfx said:
I'm no sports fan (I actually have the sports channels de-programmed from my TV and TiVo)

I fell sorry for you
:animwink:

Number_6

DisneyQuest actually gets alot of it's business from groups that come in. When I used to work there, every morning you would see a sign posted stating the number of expected groups that day and the number of people in those groups. Since capacity is somewhere on the order of 2200-2400, if you have several large groups come in, it can fill up pretty quickly. One day I was there we had around 1600 people come in that consisted of only 3 groups. During the rainy season, they see more business because some people start looking for things to do indoors. I only worked there for a few months, but we consistently reached capacity or near capacity there, and this was just last year. It's more during the normally slow months for the area anyway that you end up with almost no crowds at all in DisneyQuest.

Pongo

Why would they tear down DisneyQuest (which is still in use) when there is a parking lot the size of Georgia just north of DisneyQuest that isn't used? And a big green knoll that serves no purpose just east of La Nouba.

There are other places to put ESPN Zone without tearing down DQ. I'll believe this when I see it, Jimmy Boy.

Pongo

dxwwf3 said:
The rumor says nothing about tearing down the DQ building.

I guess I should have said "tear out". They'll be gutting it, I assume.

But still. There are many other places to extend West Side if need be. I don't see why they aren't utilizing those places instead of underutilizing DQ.

EDIT: Yes, it will be gutted:

Jim Hill said:
Then this 5-story tall, 100,000 square foot structure -- which towers over the West Side section of Downtown Disney -- will be gutted & turned into a brand-new ESPN Zone.

dxwwf3

Pongo said:
I guess I should have said "tear out". They'll be gutting it, I assume.

But still. There are many other places to extend West Side if need be. I don't see why they aren't utilizing those places instead of underutilizing DQ.

Right. That's the way I read it.

I understand what you are saying, but if DQ isn't doing that well (which is debatable), then it looks like it would be a nice fit. Of course, you could look at it this way: If they built the ESPN Zone somewhere near DisneyQuest, it could pull more people into DQ.

Pongo

dxwwf3 said:
Right. That's the way I read it.

I understand what you are saying, but if DQ isn't doing that well (which is debatable), then it looks like it would be a nice fit. Of course, you could look at it this way: If they built the ESPN Zone somewhere near DisneyQuest, it could pull more people into DQ.

Exactly. Not everything that comes in has to replace something, and I think the ESPN Zone would be a nice addition, as long as it was taking up some of the empty space that Disney has plenty of over there. The grassy knoll between Cirque and the lagoon would be a great place for a sports bar - overlooking the water and everything. At least, that's what I think.

*shrug*

TimeTrip

Pongo said:
Why would they tear down DisneyQuest (which is still in use) when there is a parking lot the size of Georgia just north of DisneyQuest that isn't used?
Overflow parking. DTD needs it.

And a big green knoll that serves no purpose just east of La Nouba.
No purpose? How about a nice little open space to relax down by the water? Actually at second glance, it does seem like empty useable space ;)

mrbillonooo

espn zone is coming to downtown disney!!

yes, the espn club at the boradwalk is changing to a "sports club" without the espn name due to the fee that they have to pay for the espn name...the esps zone to going to be build somewhere at downtown disney, possible location is where the comdy club is or past the house of blues to draw more people down that direction

dumboflyer

This is the OLDEST rumor ever. When I was on the College Program in 2002, there were rumors that DQ would turn into ESPN Zone by that January (2003).

I worked in ticketing at TTC and generally people were not willing to get the old "park hopper plus" AND buy a DQ ticket. However, with the new ticketing where your "plus" visits can be used at DQ, I think that will boost attendance, not that it necessarily needs it. I went to DQ in July on a sunny, beautiful day and DQ was PACKED (to a point where the crowd made it not fun).

Licensing fees from ESPN? UH.....Disney OWNS ESPN.

Mr Bill

Original Poster
mrbillonooo said:
yes, the espn club at the boradwalk is changing to a "sports club" without the espn name due to the fee that they have to pay for the espn name...the esps zone to going to be build somewhere at downtown disney, possible location is where the comdy club is or past the house of blues to draw more people down that direction
Why would Disney have to pay to use the name of something they own?

Intgtwy

What is the timetable for the ESPN club changing over to just a sports club? Also, is it totally going to change, or just the ESPN name getting dropped?

mrbillonooo

i did not just wake up and make this up...i know abc disney and espn are under the same flag but different budgets....so yes disney pays espn fees for the espn name at the boardwalk, $50,000 a year

markc

mrbillonooo said:
i did not just wake up and make this up...i know abc disney and espn are under the same flag but different budgets....so yes disney pays espn fees for the espn name at the boardwalk, $50,000 a year

Clearly you did just wake up and make this up. First off, Walt Disney World does NOT pay 50,000 a y ear to use ESPN; the division of Disney that owns the ESPN Club PAYS the Walt Disney World Company for occupancy of that space. Second of all, it's free advertising for ESPN, and the money stays within the company, therefore there's no need for them to casually remove the name. Don't talk about something if you don't know what you are talking about, because you will be proved wrong.

pilka214

now are we talkin about a ESPN club or and ESPN zone??? there is a huge difference

ESPN club is like what is at boardwalk, basically just a sports bar

ESPN zone is a large arcade and restaraunt/sports bar. it's basically a sports themed disney quest.

i went to the ESPN zone in Washington DC. it was like 2 or 3 stories tall. basically you would pay for card with points and use it on games, similar to the original concept of disneyquest. and the way disney quest is made right now makes it ideal ofr an ESPN "ZONE" not "CLUB"

sry if i'm wrong in any way here. but i was gettin a lil confused.

Chux

TimeTrip said:
Overflow parking. DTD needs it.

I've been to DTD in May, July, October and December and have never seen DTD's parking lot even 30% full. When would they ever use it?

peter11435

Chux said:
I've been to DTD in May, July, October and December and have never seen DTD's parking lot even 30% full. When would they ever use it?
On the West Side side you are correct. However the marketplace side fills up even on a slow day.

Chux

Well yeah. I thought we were talking about the west side. Marketplace always fills up, but then it trickles off the further you go towards West Side.

mrbillonooo

1st of all this is NOT a board to trash people!! and i dont like you comments about me not knowing what i am talking about!! so please make no further rude or any other replies to me, thank you.

TimeTrip

Chux said:
I was there one evening when they had that art show going on. It had already shutdown by the time I got there, but even then I had to park beyond the cirque du soleil in that rather large parking lot to get a space, every place else was a mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom