DisneyQuest to close?

Woody13

NeedABreak said:
As an arcade refuge (try finding on ANYWHERE now a days) it is the last place that I can go that really has lots of games to play.
I think that is the salient point. Video arcades have been on the decline in the U.S. for several years. You can play video games on your PC, Xbox or any number of other home machines. :wave:

Since1976

DQ's failure is not surprising. Even frequent visitors to WDW have never heard of it, and those who may have happened to see the building at DTD probably didn't fancy spending big bucks to play games in an enclosed space.

I doubt the ESPNZone will fare any better. I have been to the one here in Baltimore just once, and would not go out of my way to go there again.

FigmentJedi

DisneyQuest is NOT just a generic arcade. The virtual reality games are still rather hightech and nothing you can just do at home. Underadvertising killed the VR Park I suppose...

PetePan

Master Yoda said:
The only issue with the clubs and restaurants at the Boardwalk is it is a real pain to get to them using Disney transportation and getting back to your resort from the Boardwalk at 2:00 AM using Disney transportation is nearly impossible.

Actually, if you plan on staying at the Boardwalk til 2 a.m., it is very easy to get back to your resort. There is a bus that comes by at 2:15 and will take you to whatever resort you're staying at.(You may have to go to some other resorts first, but usually not too many.) I found this out when I spent a few late nights at Jellyrolls on my last trip. The hassle is getting back to your resort from the Boardwalk between the time Epcot and MGM closes and 2:00.

Bosshogg1701

I must say, I love DQ as it brings me back, all the old arcade games. I can spend hours and hours playing Dragon's Lair. I would not like to to go

Rotel1026

Why all the bad blood directed at Rainforest? I found Planet Hollywood to be much more a waste of real estate than Rainforest could ever be. I say bulldoze Planet Hollywood and build ESPN Zone there! :lol:

DonaldD1987

freediverdude said:
I wish they would turn the ESPN Club area into a food court area for the Boardwalk/Beach/Yacht Club. That Epcot resort area sorely needs a food court type area- it's all expensive table service around there and most of World Showcase. Then they could sell a lot more of the refillable mugs that are such a pain to refill at those resorts.

If DQ goes (which will be sad :cry: ) then I think Disney should really look into doing something like that. When I stayed at the Boardwalk I know it was expensive for my parents to feed a family of 4. Because you either needed to go to a sit down place for breakfast or the Boardwalk Bakery for breakfast. It would make it alot easier for ppl staying at the resort if they had a food court, and they would definetly sell more of the refillable mugs. Because it was a pain trying to get those re-filled everytime.

epcot2004

If this rumor is true it would be a tradgedy. DisneyQuest is a great concept that Disney failed to properly promote. Now they have continued to let the facility go down hill by not keeping up with even the most general maintenance issues which will make people think twice before going back. I am convinced that if people truly understood what DisneyQuest is that there would be no rumors other than positive ones. It's too bad because they closed the one in Chicago and never opened the one in Philadelphia; it would have been a great way to spread a form of Disney to colder climates such as the above.:mad:

Brer_roadrunner

Big empty...

Not only did they not open DQ here in Philly, they left us with a giant hole in the middle of Center City! Come to Philadelphia... Visit the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross' house....and the giant Disney hole!

As far as DQ goes, if I want to play out dated games I'll just hook up my old 8 bit Nintendo... We live in a Xbox 360 world and DQ just can't compete...

WDWCPbrandon

I had an opportunity to read Jim Hill's article. I am a CM at DisneyQuest and I haven't heard anything about DQ closing. I'm wondering where he got his sources...from Management? or from Cast Members? or maybe i'm just out of the loop on this one. He keeps saying DisneyQuest CM and staffers said this and that, but I'm wondering about his source. Officially, I have not heard a thing about this and I haven't heard anyone else at Quest talk about it either. Maybe it's the truth, maybe it's not... I don't know.

Dj Corona

While it is true that you can play most of the classic arcade games that DQ has to offer wether on your PC, PS2, etc., it's being able to play them on the original machines that we all grew up on that makes it fun. Oh the nostaliga!

the-reason14

Hopefully this wont be true. I love going to DQ even if it is just to shoot some hoops. Its on my Ap, if it wasnt, I probably wouldnt be able to go like I do, and probably wouldn't want to just to shoot some hoops. But I really enjoy it and hope that this isnt true. Ive gotten 99 pts on the b ball game and love to do it every trip.

markc

I'm not quite sure where Mr.Hills gets his ill informed information, but there have been plans for the past two months to completely renovate the top 2 floors in Disney Quest within the next year and a half to update the place (with plans to remove the extra "Ride the Comix" area and replace it with an updated VR game that utilizes similar technology.). This renovation does not include any such idea of removing the Disney Quest name and replacing it with the ESPN Zone. There has, however, always been plans to bring the ESPN Zone over to Orlando/Downtown Disney..the recurring issue was where...and it was always my assumption that it would eventually be placed somewhere within the old Pleasure Island.

Disneyfalcon

I thought I read a year or so ago that the Cheesecake factory express inside DQ had closed. I read that with GREAT sadness. Is that true?

RedGear

They wouldn't close DQ, I think it's a haven for children who are sick of the parks, and I don't think its an underdeveloped idea. Granted, I've only been there once, but I loved it, and I know that my brother loves going to DQ and could spend hours in there. ESPN zone is overrated, and boring, at least that's what I think, and there is my 2 cents for the day.

polarboi

But I love DisneyQuest!

I love DisneyQuest. I avoid it during peak times, just like I avoid the water parks during peak times, because neither DQ nor the water parks has a very good system for managing crowds, compared to the main 4 parks. But when it's not as crowded, DQ can be a lot of fun.

The classic games aren't as big a deal to me, but I love the virtual reality stuff. Virtual Pirates is one of my favorites because it provides a 3D interactive experience the entire family can enjoy at once. It's like Space Ranger Spin, only more interactive, with more freedom of movement, and a Pirates theme. Easy to learn, and fun for the family.

Virtual Space Mountain is also a lot of fun for the roller coaster fanatics, especially if you really like loops. (Me, I prefer the drops, and that's something that can't be simulated well, but it's still fun for a laugh.)

DQ is the thing that always convinces me to pay extra for Plus options on my ticket and stay an extra day. I like to get Plus options and hit DQ, the water parks, and PI during my stay. If it weren't for DQ, I'd probably forgo the plus options and just buy a separate PI ticket and skip the water parks.

-p.b.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom