DisneyQuest to close?

EchoOfOphelia

Yeah, the DisneyQuest in Chicago closed a few years ago... attendance sucked during the week, as I understand it, and you just can't keep up on the HUGE HUGE HUGE overhead costs of having a facility that large in downtown Chicago. Besides ESPN Zone was very close to it, down the street I believe, and it caters to a much more adult atmosphere. The games at DisneyQuest are very kid-friendly, which is good, but it just didn't keep me coming back

Besides, little kids were always hogging the Gauntlet: Dark Legacy game :fork:

Astronaut Jones

MartyMouse said:
First off this is all rumor and speculation. I think that an EPSN Zone could be built in Downtown Disney, however with T-Rex coming, you have to ask – How many restaurants can DTD handle? I believe that Disney’s California Adventure is suffering from the same problem, too many places to eat and not enough to do.

I'm not as "up-to-date" as the majority of you all; what is T-Rex?

lwalker8

It's a new themed restaurant to be created at Downtown Disney, made by the same people who created the Rainforest Cafe chain. They are also building an Asian themed restaurant in Animal Kingdom.

Epcot82Guy

T-REX is a new concept from Landry's (Raiforest) that is going somewhere into DTD. It will feature dinosaurs and other things as the decor.

I do agree that DQ is quickly approaching non-profitable compared with what it could be. An ESPN Zone would really fuel that side of DTD which is somewhat dead since Cirque doesn't pull in the average guest, and that only leaves House of Blues. I also think that the ESPN Club area at the Boardwalk could easily be transitioned into something else. I do think having some sort of sports-themed location down there is a good idea, but that (or other spaces) could easily be divided to include a new sports bar and something else. Boardwalk really isn't operating as a nighttime destination due to, as said by someone, the transportation and simple knowledge issues. So it would make more sense to me to turn it more into a Marketplace-like atmosphere with a heavier focus on shopping and dining.

DisneyGrown-Up

DLP Fan said:
I was just about to post that but was a bit scared to because it is by he who's name we do not mention!
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/04/25/2051.aspx

I have to ask this...What exactly is the problem with Jim Hill? I find his website very entertaining, if a little bit cynical. Is he thought of as a rumor-monger or is his writing just not happy enough?

I'm just looking for some people's opinions.

Sincerely,

John "DisneyGrown-Up" Kilduff

JROK

Disney Quest is WAY too expensive... it used to be really cool and have the latest and newest games but now they're all old... I went there about two years ago for free with some CMs and they had taken out their F1 Racing game and replaced it with Daytona USA (from like 1996) and nobody was around to maintain the queue that formed because it was the only racing game there... it's really sad what's become of the place... now I don't even bother going, even if it is free! I'm pro ESPN replacing it, and that's coming from a non-sports fan video game enthusiast...

Disneyfalcon

My family loves DisneyQuest. We've never paid extra to get in, it's always been part of our tickets. We love being able to let our kids play as many games as they want and not worry about them running out of money, playing the really expensive ones, etc. Some of them, like the pirate game and the rafts are just great.

Maybe Disney should put some more money into it to update the games to attract teenagers young adults.

We have ESPN zone in downtown Disney in Disneyland. We've been a few times but it's amazing how quickly you can blow through $20.

dazzer68

isnt there room for both espn and a updated cleaner quest?
the quest was a disappointment to me when i went back in feb, it was dirty run down and not what you would expect from disney at all, but i can see its potential, could be a good idea if it was bought upto date, staffed better and opened up i thiought it was hard to navigate around(?) but on those rainy days we used it a few times just for something to do we did have the ultimate pass tickets so we could come and go for free which helped i wuldnt have paid for each entry! way ott

PBarton

Disneyfalcon said:
We have ESPN zone in downtown Disney in Disneyland. We've been a few times but it's amazing how quickly you can blow through $20.
And that is what the bean counters at WDW want to happen! :cool:

I can quite easily live without DisneyQuest - out of interest, what did Disneyquest replace? It is quite a large building, was there more shops there before?

NeedABreak

DQ can't go!! It is a first day tradition. I go in the cooler months and the water parks are closed or the weather is just warm enough for them to be open but not really hot enough to be wet all day. I will usualy spend hours upon hours in there.

As an arcade refuge (try finding on ANYWHERE now a days) it is the last place that I can go that really has lots of games to play.

Disney should look at Dave and Busters ( www.daveandbusters.com ). This place has everything, a nice place to eat, huge arcade, bar, pool tables, ect...

With the creative layout of DQ (if it is your first time there it is a little hard to get around) they could really do a lot with the space without tearing it all down and makeing another boreing sports bar. (I am a super geek and as such sports do not interest me at all)

If DQ goes away I will have to spend all my extra time in the Adventurer's Club. I will develope a drinking problem and it will be all ESPN's fault :lol:

freediverdude

I wish they would turn the ESPN Club area into a food court area for the Boardwalk/Beach/Yacht Club. That Epcot resort area sorely needs a food court type area- it's all expensive table service around there and most of World Showcase. Then they could sell a lot more of the refillable mugs that are such a pain to refill at those resorts.

docandsix

My Opinion, For What It's Worth...

Visiting DisneyQuest in 2002 with my children was a disaster. In contrast to the experience of many on the board, we found it very crowded--much too crowded to allow us to keep track of four children with competing interests and varying levels of eye-hand coordination. My wife and I have never been more worried about losing a kid at WDW than at DisneyQuest. That, and all of the interesting simulators had ridiculously long lines. As it stands, only our 12-year old, video game obsessed boy has any interest in ever returning.

ESPNZone tends to be a more managable experience, but is definitely geared more toward older children and adults. Whenever we go, we order appetizers ONLY (the food is bad, on par with Rainforest Cafe fare) and/or desserts. By the way, they serve only PEPSI there, a big turn off for us.

Epcot82Guy

So here's a thought...

Since DQ is huge and features a lot of things that are not as popular, it really wouldn't need the space it has. There also would be a large space available over the West Side entrance by cirque to build over (i.e. leave the first story as the entry way to DTD and build over top). Put ESPNZone in the rear half and the top story of DQ (ESPN Arcade) with a large glassed in bar area overlooking Cirque and the parking area (over the entrance).

Use the remaining part of DQ to create the VMK Club. This has been a popular franchise, and I think it would pull kids into the place. Reduce the charge to $20.00 and really just keep the MK-related attractions (Pirates, Space Mtn., etc.) and add in some other elements. Set up stations to create characters, specialty items to buy for your character, and interactive elements similar to the former ImageWorks. That way it would rebrand without having to do much inside that is not cosmetic.

Grim Grinner

I must admit that I'm not sad to see it go, if go it must. The DQ attractions were dated the instant they were installed.

I've been to both locations, and even hit the Chicago site the last day it was open.

The layout of the floors was annoying and a nightmare for parents trying to find their kids. Not enough attractions for the people inside.

The Pirates of the Caribbean game was a lot of fun, but others like the Rafting ride were altogether lame.

I'm a hardcore gamer, so my jaded tastes were unimpressed. It's impossible to relax, and the place alternated between boiling hot and freezingly ice cold.

I do hope that manage to repurpose what few unique games/semi-rides they had there- and find a new home for them somewhere in the parks.

I'm a steadfast Disney fan who dislikes too much change, especially when something is completely demolished- but I will not feel this blow one bit.

Dj Corona

I think it's kind of amusing with all the bashing Rainforest Cafe gets, that the company who owns it gets to put in another restaurant. Although i'm a big fan of ESPN, i'm not a real big fan of their restaurants. Let DisneyQuest stay, just give it an overhaul, but leave the 80's arcade and Buzz's bumper cars alone. The food at DQ is excellent, way better then anything at an ESPNZone.

FigmentJedi

If ESPN keeps the cool virtual reality attractions in some special area, it would be okay. The VMK Club idea sounds really neat as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom