DisneyQuest to close?

markc

mrbillonooo said:
1st of all this is NOT a board to trash people!! and i dont like you comments about me not knowing what i am talking about!! so please make no further rude or any other replies to me, thank you.

Nobody's trashing anybody; some of us are simply pointing out blatant lies and "made up" information. Don't post anything unless you have an ounce of integrity to post something which is somewhat plausible.

The Quest!

DQ better not close...im a regular there and DQ has developed a cult following of annual pass members, which unfortunatley may be one of the problems, even tho a bunch of us kids go there every weekend and blow money on dinners, drinks, and desserts...ESPN Zones are dumps and the food is abosolute garbage...if the Disney Co. actually put some time, care, and an ounce of effort into updating the place and advertising it, which they dont do at all, then the place would be a success...but it seems that they abandoned it after the renovation of the Hercules ride into PotC...i usually go there every weekend and many of the machines are old and run down and management doesnt seem to care about replacing them with newer or up-to-date versions of that game...if they got rid of the garbage in there and put more rides like PotC (AnD MAYBE THEY SHOULD BRING BACK HERCULES!!!! the ride pieces have to be laying around somewhere, right? *wink wink*) then DQ would be a success...plus, the price is pretty ridiculous(even tho a have a premium AP), should be decreased to $20 the most to bring in vacationers

so come on peple, us florida kids need a good safe place to go on weekends, lets launch the Save DisneyQuest Campaign!

Jheyman

DQ Original Concept

I'm not sure how this fits into the rumor but I wanted to throw it out there. Some 12+ years ago my family and I had the opertunity to test out some new technology for disney. This was done through a market reasearch type firm if I remember correctly. At the time this was still in very early beta testing and it was a VR type game centering around i belive Alladen. At that time we were asked questions that basically centered on disney bringing a theme park type experince to each of th 50 states. Of course they wanted to know how likely you would be to go. Would this take away from the amount of times you would go to the resorts etc. Anyway, my point is at that time the Orlando site was to be a test run for the other 49 locations ( yes I know this got cut back to 20 or whatever but this was back then) followed by a few major cities ( I am assuming this would be Philly and Chicago) and if all went well each state would end up with there very own piece of the magic.

Maybe since there is no reason to have a test site since it isnt happeneing anywhere but FL there is no reason to keep DQ open as it is right now. As I see it the orginial idea was to bring a bit of the magic to everyone but there is a whole lot of magic in FL so why keep DQ around? It almost makes sense to make it into an ESPN Zone which would allow disney to promote another profitable enterprise instead of keeping around a reminder of a failed idea. Just something to chew on.

The Quest!

NO! disneyquest should never leave...it just needs simple rennovations and some marketing and it'll be a sucess...thats it....i mean, where will kids go when their parents want to spend a a few hours at Pleasure Island huh?

Jheyman

The Quest! said:
NO! disneyquest should never leave...it just needs simple rennovations and some marketing and it'll be a sucess...thats it....i mean, where will kids go when their parents want to spend a a few hours at Pleasure Island huh?

I am not saying anything either way, actually in all the trips I have made to the world I have never gotten around to DQ. All I was giving was some background I knew on the original concept. If parents want to drop kids off im sure ESPN Zone will work just as well, at the ESPN Zone in NYC often kids run lose.

NeedABreak

TimeTrip said:
IMO, there's a good reason why does dave and busters works better than DQ would outside the confines of WDW. The bar + food + "bar games". I don't believe DQ sells alcohol. On top of that, there are places within D+B facilities for adults to just gather and eat and drink, whereas that's not so much the case in DQ.

Thats not to say that Disney can't learn from D&B. It just proves that arcades can survive and be profitable in today's xbox360 world.

Once you pay to get into DQ you get to do just about everything in there for FREE. For the price of a DQ ticket I can enjoy myself at D&B for about 3 hours. DQ has the VR games that D&B is lacking (at most of it's places) and the layout of that place is awsome. Inside DQ you really feel seperated from reality, like your in a cartoon.

Another thing is that they don't really play up the big attractions. A lot of people don't know that it is there and if they do they can't name any of the games that make it special (cyberspace mountain, pirates, ect...)

I say add a nice place to eat in keeping with the wild theaming, update some of the games, maybe have some tournements with the old titles (I am the KING of Joust and I need a place to prove it), and advertise the thing.

Again this is comming from a mega geek, I freakin need video games.

imamouse

My teen-age sons LOVE to go to DQ every time we visit WDW. They will be sad to see it go, even if replaced by and ESPN Zone. Didn't the ESPN Zone in Baltimore fail? It was located in the popular inner-harbor area, but I seem to remember it closing (my parents used to live in Baltimore). Can anyone prop up my memory on this?

TimeTrip

NeedABreak said:
Thats not to say that Disney can't learn from D&B. It just proves that arcades can survive and be profitable in today's xbox360 world.

Once you pay to get into DQ you get to do just about everything in there for FREE. For the price of a DQ ticket I can enjoy myself at D&B for about 3 hours. DQ has the VR games that D&B is lacking (at most of it's places) and the layout of that place is awsome. Inside DQ you really feel seperated from reality, like your in a cartoon.

Another thing is that they don't really play up the big attractions. A lot of people don't know that it is there and if they do they can't name any of the games that make it special (cyberspace mountain, pirates, ect...)

I say add a nice place to eat in keeping with the wild theaming, update some of the games, maybe have some tournements with the old titles (I am the KING of Joust and I need a place to prove it), and advertise the thing.

Again this is comming from a mega geek, I freakin need video games.

But outside WDW... most adults wouldn't go to a disney quest for the games.. they'd go for the alcohol and socializing :)

Chux

imamouse said:
My teen-age sons LOVE to go to DQ every time we visit WDW. They will be sad to see it go, even if replaced by and ESPN Zone. Didn't the ESPN Zone in Baltimore fail? It was located in the popular inner-harbor area, but I seem to remember it closing (my parents used to live in Baltimore). Can anyone prop up my memory on this?

I live in Annapolis, and the ESPNZone in Baltimore is a dump. Overpriced food, Games cost too much, add to it that a Jillians/D&B opened when Arundel Mills opened (Also overpriced, $2 for a game of Pump It Up? Take a walk...) This is why I'm so adverse to ESPNZone taking over DQ.

The Quest!

Originally Posted by Chux
(Also overpriced, $2 for a game of Pump It Up? Take a walk...)

ahh, yes Pump It Up....one of the main reasons my friends and I go to the Quest...there is a huge following of people of all ages I know that go there every weekend just for that reason, but they still buy dinner/drinks/desserts/etc. every time they go...if people only knew what was inside DQ, or at least realized it existed...

Chux

Yeah, I love PIU/DDR, and I get my gf to play Outrun 2 with me all the time, when we need a break we just go upstairs and get some stuff from Food Quest, then we'll go play Pirates, or the Ride the Comix.

It's good times, every time.

mattfz

dxwwf3 said:
Actually $37.28 for a one day adult. That's what's been keeping me away as well.

Is it still included in the Park Hopper? I only went there once. It was cool for all of the vintage video games but I could not imagine spending a day there. It seemed like a lot of the games were in disrepair. I would imagine it would be very difficult to upkeep with all of the electronics. And fixing pinball machines is an art within itself.

JPVonDrake

Official Message to Guests Calls:

The Official DRC Reactive Message to Guest calls concerning internet rumors of the future of DisneyQuests:

"At this time, we have no plans to make changes at DisneyQuest. As with many of the entertainment venues and attractions within our resort, we continually evaluate our offerings to ensure we are providing the finest experiences for our Guests who visit the Downtown Disney area. Guest feedback is very important to us. You can be assured we will share comments sent to Guests Communications with our leadership."

Walt Disney World
Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-0040

:sohappy:

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

joefox97

mrbillonooo said:
1st of all this is NOT a board to trash people!! and i dont like you comments about me not knowing what i am talking about!! so please make no further rude or any other replies to me, thank you.

First of all, please learn a LITTLE proper grammar (and yes, I am shouting... or at least emphasizing my point).

Second of all, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. Your post about Disney paying ESPN money is a ludicrous concept. That would be akin to Epcot paying Magic Kingdom to use Mickey's likeness in their attractions. It's part of the company's "cast" as it were, and doesn't require a licensing fee. Licensing agreements, sure -- they have to work within certain guidelines so as not to soil the ESPN name or image, but that's common in all such agreements.

Thirdly, you are a new member to the boards. Don't try to "educate" or "correct" people. Even the senior members of the boards don't verbally whip people in public, unless they've truly earned it. All markc, Mr Bill and dumboflyer were doing was attempting to correct your mistaken logic. And all I'm doing is telling you that, in order to be a member of this board for longer than a week without being banned, you need to avoid replies like "so please make no further rude or any other replies to me, thank you.(sic)"... because members in good standing don't act like that.

Here's hoping you're around for a good long while and that you are a good contributor and member!

joe

joefox97

NeedABreak said:

Add this to the combine DQ/ESPN Zone/Club concepts into one big ball, call it ESPN Zone, powered by DisneyQuest, keep original concepts like PoTC, CSM, the recording booths (has anyone used these? They're a blast!! I have some tracks I'll share if you don't know what I'm talking about), animation areas and some of the stuff that makes DQ unique, add the sports bar and mondo-sized TVs to draw large crowds ESPECIALLY on game days (where the kids are normally bored out of their minds anyway -- wouldn't this be GREAT on that special sunday in Jan/Feb?) Add a themed restaurant inside the DQ section, counter style with decent food for kids and non-sports types (of which there are many in the Disney fanbase), and you've got something... (wasn't impressed with some of the offerings in the current counter service location -- loved the cheesecake though!!)

Whatd'ya think?

joe

OliveMcFly

What would be the point of taking out a 5 story gaming attraction? Is it doing badly? In my honest opinion, they have the ESPN Zone on the Boardwalk and if people wanna go, they'll get there. Also, is ESPN doing well, because they took away the ESPN club on the Disney Cruise Line. I was told it was because teenagers were causing problems so they made them their own club. Could there be more to that? They did move the sports club though but, it's not ESPN.
By the way Mr Bill, I love you avatar. Stick Stickly...I remember him so well. HeHe

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom