DisneylandForward

TheDisneyParksfanC8

One thing I wonder is if the attractions coming as part of DL Forward will also be cloned to other parks. For example, what replaces Hollywoodland (assuming it's not Avatar) gets cloned to Hollywood Studios. One thing I noticed after glancing at the enviromental impact report where Disney laid out what types of rides will go on the DL and DCA sides where the parks will expand there does not appear to be a large scale family dark ride on par with MMRR. Hopefully the final plans will include a MMRR scale dark ride on the DCA side.

mickEblu

One thing I wonder is if the attractions coming as part of DL Forward will also be cloned to other parks. For example, what replaces Hollywoodland (assuming it's not Avatar) gets cloned to Hollywood Studios. One thing I noticed after glancing at the enviromental impact report where Disney laid out what types of rides will go on the DL and DCA sides where the parks will expand there does not appear to be a large scale family dark ride on par with MMRR. Hopefully the final plans will include a MMRR scale dark ride on the DCA side.

I’d love an attempt at creating some old school Fantasyland dark rides. Stateside Roger Rabbit is probably the last good one. Obviously 1955 scale isn’t happening but I’d gladly take a few Shanghai Peter Pans Flight level attractions with Coco or Aladdin as the IP and a Seven Dwarfs Mine train 2.0 (same or different IP) with more show scenes.

I want the type of attractions I mentioned above and more coasters for DLR. And a boat ride for DCA. That’s what the resort needs more of. If we must have another simulator bring over FOP with Pandora especially since it looks like the Avengers Ride will be Transformers- esque.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I’d love an attempt at creating some old school Fantasyland dark rides. Stateside Roger Rabbit is probably the last good one. Obviously 1955 scale isn’t happening but I’d gladly take a few Shanghai Peter Pans Flight level attractions with Coco or Aladdin as the IP and a Seven Dwarfs Mine train 2.0 (same of different IP) with more show scenes.

I want the type of attractions I mentioned above and more coasters for DLR. And a boat ride for DCA. That’s what the resort needs more of. If we must have another simulator bring over FOP with Pandora especially since it looks like the Avengers Ride will be Transformers- esque.
The other day I was wondering why doesn’t Disney make fun simple dark rides anymore? It’s like everything has to become a technological showcase. Sometimes neon cutouts and good set design are all you need for a fun time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm guessing the 60 billion is a blue sky number that they have PR reasons for hyping. In reality they will probably spend well short of that amount, especially if economic uncertainty persists.

I mean, 60 billion would build a couple of brand new full park resorts from scratch. It's actually pretty hard for a company to spend that much money in a 10-year time frame.
Given that its part of an official SEC 8-K investor filing its a bit more than just PR -

As suggested part of this $60B could be for new gates in SDL and HKDL, which could be over $10B alone. Not to mention the initial phases of the DisneylandForward project, which could be ~$2-5B at least to start.

Its actually not that hard for Disney to spend this amount of money if they are serious about Park expansion. Obviously exact figures will be adjusted as time goes on, but the $60B number is more official than just blue sky.

lazyboy97o

As suggested part of this $60B could be for new gates in SDL and HKDL, which could be over $10B alone.
Hopefully we’re not yet at a new park costing that much. The entire South Campus project at Universal Orlando Resort isn’t that much. Even if it were, Disney’s contribution to new gates in China would only be about half the cost.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hopefully we’re not yet at a new park costing that much. The entire South Campus project at Universal Orlando Resort isn’t that much. Even if it were, Disney’s contribution to new gates in China would only be about half the cost.
I'm just using the reported ~$5.5B price tag for SDL and doubling it for the two new parks as an example. Obviously the exact price for the both parks wouldn't include a lot of the infrastructure a brand new site would require, but with inflation I could see it hitting ~$10B give or take for both new parks combined.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm just using the reported ~$5.5B price tag for SDL and doubling it for the two new parks as an example. Obviously the exact price for the both parks wouldn't include a lot of the infrastructure a brand new site would require, but with inflation I could see it hitting ~$10B give or take for both new parks combined.
What two new parks?

If you're talking about DL Forward, they're just expansions.

Haymarket

Headed to SDL and HKDL next month!
id rather the 60bil go into existing parks than building all new ones....though I wouldnt mind seeing Shanghai or HK get a sister park, that may entice me to visit one of those resorts.
Same. I hope they get the option on the second plot back in Hong Kong. If it happens, that's a huge tell.

SDL is a hit—a second gate in the next decade is all but certain. I'm curious what kind of park it'll be. Hope it's not another studio park. Third hotel's on the way.

Consumer

Headed to SDL and HKDL next month!

Same. I hope they get the option on the second plot back in Hong Kong. If it happens, that's a huge tell.

SDL is a hit—a second gate in the next decade is all but certain. I'm curious what kind of park it'll be. Hope it's not another studio park. Third hotel's on the way.
Probably Disney's China Adventure. Shanghai Disneyland already leans heavily into Chinese culture and I could definitely see an entire park being dedicated to the rich history of China. Tibet, The Forbidden City, Journey to the West, Mao Zedong's Cultural Revolution... plenty to work with for an entire theme park.

光榮屬於習近平和中國共產黨

My social credit score just went up!

Phroobar

They couldn't run it without Disney licensing and oversight. And it's in China's best interest to keep warm relations with US mega-corps.
Sure they could. There are a lot of state run parks in China. They love theme parks. Granted, it will fall apart in a few years. China could care less about US mega corps except the money they make them.

TP2000

I don't have the specific section in the EIR at the moment, maybe someone can look it up, but it mentions possibly extending the Monorail over to the new entertainment/shopping district under consideration for Toy Story lot.
I don't disagree that it could be done. It just seems prohibitively difficult and expensive. What are they going to do; route the Monorail down the center of Harbor and make a left at Katella?

What's the hourly capacity of the Disneyland Monorail system? Particularly as it currently stands, with its very narrow and entirely unique beamway that requires a very narrow and low-slung train consist?

I can't imagine it's more than 1,000 per hour, and it's likely closer to 700 to 800 riders per hour in its current setup.

To get it into thousands per hour, a la' Tokyo Disneyland with its much larger Hitachi standard beamway, you'd need to rip it all out and start from scratch, abondoning the old 1959 Spaghetti Bowl of track inside the park itself. Even the full-size 1962 Alweg system built for the Seattle World's Fair that is still in operation is much larger and much higher capacity than Disneyland's small and one-off 1959 boutique system.

It's fun to say "Just extend the monorail to the new mall/park/center on the Toy Story lot!", but then when you realize the existing 1959 mini-gauge monorail system could only carry 1,000 people or less per hour over there.... try again.

TP2000

Ah... as I suspected, according to Wikipedia the seating capacity (no standing room) of the Disneyland Monorail is 120 people per train. And that's packing them in like sardines with every seat in use. Move over, lady.

120 People Per Train, A train leaving every 5 minutes = Theoretical Capacity of 1,320 Passengers Per Hour

Or roughly half the hourly capacity of Pirates of the Caribbean. But with some seats going empty, or two seats being occupied by one large 21st century American, plus usual delays due to humanity, the realistic hourly capacity is closer to 1,000 per hour without a hiccup. That's not going to work to get 50,000 people to/from a park that needs to handle upwards of 75,000 people per day on its busiest days.

Next idea, gang? 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom